Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, March 15, 2015

A finish and an Old WIP

Well I finished my class project (except for the finish finishing we'll do in class).  While it wouldn't have been my original choice of a design to stitch, I'm happy with how it came out.  Love the blues, and once I found some small charms in the jewelry making section at Michaels for the four corner areas it seemed to come together.  I know there are a lot of designs where they are not quite symmetrical, but I like things balanced, and having the four corners have a section that was left blank bothered me every time I looked at the piece.  I thought about stitching a small motif in each corner open area, but as not sure how it will be finished off thought if they need to be blank for a reason that would be time consuming in class to pull back out.  Then, I saw these charms and thought how cute they'd look, and how easy to get back off in class if I needed to, sooooo on they went.  So here's my finished piece.  The charms read Love, Laugh, Dream, and Believe.  It's done on 28 ct antique white Monaco.


As to the WIP, this is quite an older WIP that seems to have been around for ages. I looked back through my posts and can see where I actually started it in June 2007 (isn't that pitiful?), it got worked on for a bit and then for some reason just seemed to sit.  The design is 12 pages, and about 50 colors.  I'm doing it on Gold Dust by Kiwi Sparkles and when finished will be about 15 x 24 inches.  The fabric is a lovely golden yellow with sparkles in it that my DD picked out (this is going to be for her when finished).


While the blues seem to be showing up wonderfully, the real test to see how the colors all work on the fabric will be when the flower starts to go in, as well as the pinks on the one dragon's chest and the underside of the tail.  Hopefully they all work and show up well.  The floss toss looked ok so fingers crossed, I really don't want to have to try and adjust the colors in the design (I'm really not good at altering designs like that).  The original fabric started out darker, but we rinsed it several times in quite hot water to try and fade it down a bit and it seems to have worked.  Here's what it will look like finished.


This was the first really large piece I'd ever attempted, and I've learned a lot since then on working on larger designs and organizing my floss and such, so hopefully it will go easier now that I've a bit more experience under my belt as far as a design with so many color changes.

While I've ordered the fabric for the baby sampler, it hasn't arrived yet, so no new start pictures to show for that one yet.  Hope you're all having a lovely weekend, it's nice and sunny here for a change, I think Spring may really be on its way.

9 Comments:

  • At 3:40 PM , Blogger Linda said...

    Congrats on the pretty finish. I really like the UFO you dug out to work on.

    Linda

     
  • At 3:52 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Your finished piece is beautiful and I think those charms were the perfect solution. They look great.

     
  • At 4:34 PM , Blogger Robin said...

    What a super finish! I really like the addition of the charms. Looking forward to seeing more progress on your UFO.

    Robin in Virginia

     
  • At 10:47 AM , Blogger Julie said...

    A lovely finish.
    It's amazing how much we learn from other bloggers as we read and see what they have been up to.
    Your WIP is fabulous.

     
  • At 10:48 AM , Blogger Mary Ann said...

    A lovely finish and the Flower Dragons piece is going to be very pretty.

     
  • At 7:46 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    I'm curious to see how your project will be finished. I'm thinking it looks like it'll be a 3D type box.

    Not pitiful on how long ago you started the UFO/WIP. JG is older, lol.

     
  • At 1:32 PM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    The stitching on your class project turned out GREAT! I remember you starting that WIP. I look forward to your progress!

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your finish is so pretty.

    Lovely new start. Such a pretty piece.

     
  • At 2:12 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Love the finish especially with the charms. It's very pretty! Congrats!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home