Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, September 13, 2009

Little of this and a little of that

Not much going on, still pretty busy at work trying to organize things and wind things down so they can transfer stuff to the new office in Chicago. My last day is still targeted for mid Nov., so have about two months left.

With everything going on, not very much stitching happening. However, in the short periods of time I've had available I've managed to finish another cat mat. I also have another mat almost done, but I'll post that one later when it is finished (hopefully I'll have some stitching progress to go with it).

I really like the colors In the mat I just finished, I think it would make a lovely scarf. However, the yarn is a bit scratchy (it was Red Heart's Super Saver), so would want it in a different fiber for a scarf, something softer.

Also, it just occurred to me I didn't post some lovely stitchy stash I got for my birthday earlier from my DSIL Kim. She got me Halloween House by Shepherd's Bush, along with the buttons and DMC that it uses. I'd been eyeing this one since it came out, it will make a fun companion piece to go with Goblins. Now I have to decide if I want to work on this one first or Goblins first if we do a Shepherd's Bush SAL this fall. We've also been looking at a couple Just Nan ones for our next SAL too, so I'll have to wait and see which way we go.

Kim just finished her Red Thread piece by Bent Creek (it turned out lovely so you should hop over to her blog and check it out, link in previous paragraph). We'll be starting our next SAL in Nov., so we need to decide by then what we'll pick to work on so we can be ready to start. So far our SAL's have worked great at keeping us motivated, and we've finished two larger designs this year that might not have made it otherwise (actually probably wouldn't have made it without us pushing each other to stay focused).

The other new bit of fun I got was Jim Shore's Cat in a Witches Hat isn't it great? I love his hat and the bird sitting on his tail. The picture is a bit washed out in color, the table topper he's on and his base and hat are more purple in real life. I've admired his pieces for a while but didn't have one. We went to Frankenmuth this past weekend, and in Bronner's there was a display of Jim Shore's pieces. I just couldn't pass up this little guy, even if he wasn't a Christmas piece. :)
I have him on an end table now where I have the table topper you see pictured with him that I made a couple years back. The purples in the topper and the purples in the cat's hat and base go great together. I was really tempted to pick up this little Leprechaun piece too, but figured I'd better save him for another time, he's a cutie though. Here's wishing you all the blessing he's saying

14 Comments:

  • At 6:05 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Love the witchy cat. Adorable!!!

    I love Jim Shore's stuff. I don't have any yet, but I have definitely admired some at Hallmark.

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    What a lovely gift from Kim! That kitty is so cute!

     
  • At 9:30 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    That Cat in a Witches Hat is so cute!
    I need to find a SAL buddy to get and keep me focused, I think that is my problem with stitching these days. I really should finish finished some of my projects that are stitched first though.
    Thank you for your comment today. The house is feeling kind of empty! My smaller dog is a little depressed, so we have to find a dog that will keep her company while we are all at work! Something small that I can lift if the need ever presents itself!

     
  • At 4:56 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

    Cat in a Witches Hat is so cute! And that's a lovely gift from Kim.

     
  • At 11:19 AM , Blogger Ranae said...

    I love that Jim Shore cat.
    The SB is a wonderful design.

     
  • At 12:02 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Red Heart Super Saver has some GREAT colors, but it's true, it's not very soft.

     
  • At 2:56 PM , Blogger Beth said...

    A great post - enjoy your blog very much. How did you format so that the comments are visible below the post? I'd like to do the same and cannot figure out how to do so.

     
  • At 5:22 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Great kitty! I just got a large witch and need to post her too. They're great! That SB present is so sweet. Great design on that one.

     
  • At 11:51 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    That kitty is too adorable!

     
  • At 6:41 AM , Blogger Doris said...

    That Cat in a witches hat is so cute, love it!

     
  • At 10:02 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    The halloween cat is adorable. Goes well with your table topper. :)

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Now that's a great birthday gift! I love that design too. I think a lot of people do.

    I saw Kim's Red Thread piece and it's just gorgeous!

    Oh, he's a cutie :o) I have one Jim Shore piece and it's a rabbit (of course). LOL!

     
  • At 3:13 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    Poppin in to say Hi and see what's new.
    I just looooooove this cat! I need to see about this Jim Shore, I don't know him. Shame...
    What a lovely Halloween project Kim has sent you! I'm in a Halloween mood all year long too ;)))
    LOts of hugs,
    Lili

     
  • At 10:01 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I'm a big Jim Shore fan and I've been eyeing this piece for awhile. It's so unique. A Shepherd's Bush SAL sounds like a lot of fun. Can't wait to see you get started on your new one.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home