Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, August 02, 2009

Flowers and a new start

I almost never plant things, as a gardener I am not. Pretty much anything I try and grow dies. I've even managed to kill a Hosta, which according to a gardener friend of mine should pretty much have been impossible. However, earlier this spring my DM gave me a lovely planter, and so far I've managed to keep it alive, in fact I think it looks pretty darn good.
I've kept it outside by the side of my garage, so I get to enjoy it coming and going, and I can also see it from the kitchen window when I do dishes. Having it in view so much has also probably helped me remember to keep it watered, which may account for why it is still alive. So, with that brief momentary positive feeling, I decided to plant my flower box. I planted some marigolds there a number of years ago, and they actually didn't do to bad, so I decided to try it again. I couldn't find any marigold plants this time, so went with mums (in the front) and Angelonia (in the back) as they both said they liked a lot of sun. So far, so good, here is what I have.
The above picture was taken a couple weeks ago, and at the moment it doesn't look so hot. I forgot to deadhead the flowers, so I ended up with lots of dead blooms and the new ones couldn't bloom like they should. I got out yesterday and deadheaded them all, so hopefully I'll have lovely new blooms soon.

As to stitching, after finishing up Six Bats, I decided to go with something a bit smaller to get that lovely quick fix feeling. I started Ribbit, a small tuck design by SanMan Originals, which I'm doing on 28 ct white Monaco.
Isn't he a fun little guy? My other start was another cat mat, I'm loving the colors on this one.
We'll that's all I've got going on, other than trying to get used to a new haircut before work tomorrow. I went for a trim, but to a different stylist. And..... our ideas of a trim must be a bit different as it is a fair bit shorter than I'd planned on. Oh well, hair does grow doesn't it. Also, possibly it is just a bit of me having trouble with it looking different than I'd planned, I don't necessarily do change well.

13 Comments:

  • At 5:01 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Marigolds are super easy to start from seed - my MIL is a former nursery school teacher that used to do them with her classes every spring, and always had good results. Next spring, pick up a packet or two of marigold seeds and you should have plenty.

     
  • At 5:35 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Pretty flowers and cute frog.
    I love that black kitty peeking from the flowers too

     
  • At 5:52 PM , Blogger Craft Wench said...

    I envy anyone who can keep plants alive. Black thumbs seem to run in my family.

    The cats that receive your mats must absolutely love you. They look so cozy.

    Thank you for stopping by my blog. I'm so glad you enjoyed my cross stitch.

     
  • At 6:05 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Cute, cute, cute froggie!

     
  • At 10:53 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Love that little froggie! He is so sweet! I am a terrible gardner, the only plants that I haven't killed yet are my african violets and my orchids. They love the kitchen bay window.
    Donna

     
  • At 9:43 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    As far as the garden goes...I really, really know what you are talking about! OMG we are twins in that department. I just gave up and now call my weeds that do so well native plants. I don't have to water and when it comes to mowing, I wait, and wait. (I'm sure my neighbors just love that!)
    Your little froggy is so cute! I really need to get back into my stitching. I have some afghans going though, so those take up a lot of my time. The cat mat is really pretty, I like those colors too.
    I would be upset if I went and my hair was cut shorter than I wanted. I have my MD cut mine for me. Of course, that has been forever, because I have my hair down to my waist and don't want it shorter at all! The good thing is that it WILL grow out! You may end up liking it after all though.

     
  • At 1:00 PM , Blogger Chiloe said...

    I love your flowers even though you say you are not a great gardener !!!

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    DM? Your flower garden looks nice, Sue. I agree with your friend, hostas don't really need care. LOL Some of mine look pathetic because something has been eating at the leaves. :( Congrats on your froggie finish. He's cute. And another nice kitty mat.

     
  • At 2:06 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    That froggie is so cute! Yes, hair does grow but im sure you'll get used to your new style...im the same, i dont do change well either LOL

     
  • At 6:36 PM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Ribbit is going to be so cute!!!!

     
  • At 6:31 PM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    The flower bed looks nice. Hope you are able to keep it alive.I'm also horrible with plants. Love the frog stitching.

     
  • At 9:00 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    The flower box is beautiful! Cute little froggy---and the kitty mat is great. Lucky kitties indeed that receive a nap mat from you!

     
  • At 1:45 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    I think you're doing quite well Sue although I have no idea how you managed to kill a hosta. LOL!

    Love the little SMO frog :o)

    I'm sure your hair looks fine. Hair does grow back. I've finally learned that ;o)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home