Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Friday, July 03, 2009

And then there were - none :)

Well, no squares left that is. I've gotten all the squares done on Six bats and a Witch's Hat and just have the border left. So, here's how Six Bats looks now. The border is so repetitive, really no counting involved. Hopefully with just this little bit left I can stay focused on it and get it done. If I finish by the end of July, I'll have time to do the actual finishing and be able to have it for this coming Halloween. Although the end of July is a bit later than I thought a while ago that I'd get it done by, I had thought maybe the end of May, it is still earlier than the October timeline I'd originally targeted for this one.

I loved doing all the little squares, they were quite like individual finishes and completing each was a fun quick sense of accomplishment. However, with everything that started to happen at work, even the little bit of counting that entailed recently seemed to much for my mind to handle at the end of the day. While work is still crazy, with the way the border is designed, I'll be able to work on that even when I am brain dead in the evening. They finally decided what they were going to do with our office. I'd mentioned earlier the plant attached to our building was closing, but as we had other plants, they weren't sure what they'd do with our office, so the uncertainty has been fairly hard on the nerves. In addition, as people were let go, or decided to leave, the work load kept shifting, causing some issues there as well. Well they decided to move the office to another state, which for a variety of reasons is not possible for me. So...in the near future I'll be job hunting. I'll have a bit of time as they still need to train new people and transition the work our office does, but the end is in sight. Hopefully I can find something fairly quickly, but the job statistics that came out for June sure weren't promising, and Michigan seems to be fairing worse than a lot of other states employment wise to begin with.

Now, onto something a little more positive. Yesterday I spent a wonderful day with my DSIL Kim. We went shopping in the morning at Stitching Bits and Bobs and then spent all afternoon stitching. While I've been to SBB's website, we'd never actually been able to visit the store. We had a lovely time looking around, and I bought myself some early birthday stash as they were having a 20% off sale. Here are the goodies I got. The first two I picked up were Waxing Moon Designs, Hocus Pocus and Simply Halloween

I loved the layout of these two, with the little motifs mixed in. Add in the fact they were Halloween themes and I couldn't resist.

The other design I couldn't resist was Bless My Garden by Val's Stuff


The little rabbit had such a cheeky grin as he was stealing the flower and holding it in his mouth. Almost like he was saying Hee Hee Hee, look what I got. This was also done as a shop model, which was even cuter done up. I also got the supplies to do this little guy.Aren't the colors wonderful? The fabric is 28 ct. linen in Water Cress so will be easy on my eyes. While not Halloween, I loved the bright fun colors and am really looking forward to working on this.

Finally I got two lovely items in the mail too. First off, Dee earlier finished Summer Foursome by Pine Mountain. I love Pine Mountain tuck designs, and this was so cute. She was offering the pattern as she was done with it, and I was the lucky recipient. So I'll have that to work on. Also,Blue Ribbon Designs recently had a contest and I was one of six winners of one of her lovely designs. We got to chose which design we'd like, and I chose Postcard from Paradise. This will be a very fun summery piece to do. Well I think that's about all for now, so now I'm off to try and catch up on what all you've been doing.

22 Comments:

  • At 12:56 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Wow you did a fantastic job!!! I can't believe you are practically done. It's going to look gorgeous framed. I also love Postcard from Paradise. However I don't know if I could do more squares after the project you just finished!

    As far as work is concerned, I'm sorry to hear that you will be out of work in a bit, but at least you got a heads up. It would have been worse to walk in on a friday and be told you have 2 weeks left (or, don't let the door hit you on teh way out!) This is when stash is important! LOL

     
  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Your Halloween piece is great! The border will make nice, easy stitching when your mind is fried.

    Good luck with the job hunt. Hopefully the economy will start to pick up in the fall.

    Love the new pieces you got too. Enjoy the stitching.

     
  • At 2:30 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

    What a great piece this is!! No wonder you loved stitching it.

    So sorry that your company is moving office out of state. Will keep my fingers crossed something good comes along quickly.

    Love your new stash. It must have been a great stitchy day with your friend.

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Blogger Suzie said...

    I LOVE your nearly finished Halloween piece, and all of your new stash! They all look like such fun, it would be hard for me to know which one to start on first. .do you have a favorite?

    And how neat that you've been able to get to Stitching Bits & Bobs. .I've been wanting to make the trip, and hope to before the snow flies. A gal that lives in northern Indiana was telling me what a neat shop it is!!

    I'm sorry to hear about your job ending. But hopefully, something will become available for you very shortly.

    As much as you love to stitch Halloween, you should show your work on the Spooky Stitchers SAL Blog. It is very relaxed, with everyone stitching their own favorite Halloween patterns, at their own speed.

    I hope that you have a good weekend, and that the possible rain doesn't dampen your plans!

     
  • At 10:23 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    I love the icons and the colors in the BRD.
    Nice birthday stash.
    Good Luck on the job hunt

     
  • At 3:10 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    I really love this Halloween piece! Congrats on finishing all the squares.
    So sorry to hear about your job. Good luck with the job hunting.
    Great stash :)

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    You've done a great job on your Halloween piece. Look at all that great stash... Enjoy!

    Sorry to hear about the downsizing. It's tough all over. I hope you find something soon.

     
  • At 7:29 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Your finish is wonderful! Congratulations!Fabulous stash too.

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    Oh wow!!Awesome wip progress!!
    and love your new stash:)

    Best of wishes re: your job hunt.
    I hope you find another one very quickly:)

     
  • At 6:01 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Wow nearly finished. Love the new one you bought. x

     
  • At 6:53 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Way to go...Congrats..it's awsume. HAPPY BIRTHDAY. Sorry about the work thing but I pray something better comes your way very soon.

     
  • At 7:04 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Wow that looks fantastic! Soon be finished!

    Nice new stash too:)

    Hope you find a new job soon.

     
  • At 10:18 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    Wow! Six Bats turned out great! And it'll be just in time to enjoy for Halloween!
    Sorry to hear about the job thing. It is getting scary, isn't it? You will do fine though I bet. At least you know in enough time to get your ducks in a row so to speak. So far I am okay with the work thing, it's busy on and off at the store, some of the contractors are coming in more often to buy stuff for their jobs, that is encouraging! I wish you luck though!
    Your little shopping trip looks as though it was fun. I haven't done a proper shopping trip lately. It's going to have to wait a while. I have to stock up on the money again! the staitch with the rabbit looks like it will be a fun stitch to do!

     
  • At 2:27 PM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Wooo hooo you're almost done!!!!

    Great new stash!

     
  • At 3:14 PM , Blogger Doris said...

    fantastic work,i like the colors, beautiful.
    for informatic trouble i change my url,the new one is:
    http://blog-stitchingdoris.blogspot.com/
    sorry for the troubles.

     
  • At 4:42 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    woo hoo! Six bats looks great! What a fun finish :)

    sorry about the job .. sure is tough out there isn't it .. I hope it doesn't take you long at all to find a job!!!

    Love your new stash purchases. That bunny is tooo cute! and your winning chart from BRD is one I've been drooling over .. enjoy :)

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Woo Hooo! You're nearing the finish line with this one Sue and is it ever Lovely!!! I know you'll be thrilled to have it hanging up in your home... You know I'd be tempted to leave it out year round! :)

    Sounds like you had a lovely time stash shopping at SB&B. How wonderful to visit a real shop! I'm so thrilled when I get to do that... you know my LNS is about an hour and a half away and I don't get there in real life often... mostly on line shopping which I'm thankful for, but it's still wonderful to see all the lovelies in the flesh so to speak!

    I have those Waxing Moon charts and Bless My Garden by Val's Stuff in my stash... I would really love to stitch Hocus Pocus sometime soon... You know there just aren't enough hours in the day! :) And how lucky and wonderful to win the chart from Blue Ribbon... what a lovely, fun summer stitch!!! :)

    I'm sooo sorry to hear about your job, Sue Hun... I know the job market in Michigan is not doing well just now and I'm sending you lots of prayers and positive vibes, Sue... I'll be hoping and praying you find the best job that's meant for you! {{{Hugs}}}

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    That is a great piece.
    I hope something comes along for you on the job market.
    Those colours are wonderful. Yes it will be easy on the eyes.
    Take care!

     
  • At 2:37 AM , Anonymous Maren said...

    I can see how that border would get tedious after a while, but with so little left to go, you can do it! My fingers are crossed for you in the employment department. Hope you find a new job quickly.

     
  • At 12:11 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    I'm sorry about the job, Sue... I do hope you find another one that suits you very very soon.
    Amazing job on your Halloween chessboard.
    How I wish I could visit sbibs too...
    I 'm not the leastest surprised at your picks there. Lol!
    Many many many many hugs to you.
    Lili

     
  • At 10:39 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Oh Sue! I am SO sorry to hear about your job :o( There seems to be so many out there losing theirs and one can only feel helpless. I do hope something will present itself for you soon. Fingers are crossed here.

    On a better note, congrats on coming close to the end with your Halloween piece!!!! It's looking fantastic :o) I see you'll have to finish up soon so that you can start all these new patterns that have found their way to your house. LOL!

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Congrats on your Halloween Bats finish. I like to work on patterns like this one too. You can do a little happy dance after you finish each square.
    Sorry to hear about work. I know exactly what you mean about the job situation in MI. It's the same in Windsor where my family lives. I hope your job hunt is very successful.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home