Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, April 04, 2009

A finish and camp stash

Sometimes I just don't know where the time goes. It's been two weeks since I've been here, and over two weeks since I was able to visit blogs. Hopefully I'll be able to start catching up soon. As to what I've been doing, work seems to be taking up a larger portion of my time. We've had a couple plant closures and layoffs. So while I'm thankful I still have a job, the stress level, and amount of things to be dealt with, have definitely increased. In addition, road construction season has begun, so my normal rather long daily commute just got longer. Therefore, not a whole lot of stitching going on due to just not as many hours in the day.

I have managed one finish. The SanMan board is having a Twelve days of Halloween stitch along where we are doing one Halloween pattern a month. I just finished the February one, given it just turned April, not especially on time, but still a finish (forgive the wrinkles I haven't ironed it yet).


Like my earlier one, this was also done on 18ct Light Fiddler Cloth with DMC.

Not enough of progress on Six Bats since my last post to show, so that will be for another post. However, I do have my new stash from camp to show


These Blue Ribbon Designs were some I've had my eye on since they first turned up, and the little Love Birds by Miss Crescents Colours I just thought were so cute they hopped (or fluttered) right into my basket too.

Quaker Gone Tropic was also on my wish list from the time it appeared. I won't be doing it with the Silk n Colors it calls for, instead I decided on these four by Cresent Colours. I think they are gorgeous and can't wait to get this one started. When Kim and I go to Camp Stitch a Lot we always start out with a preliminary road trip. Rocking Horse in Farmington has an awesome display of finished models, so we start out there. While there I picked up the cute little Ghost kit. He comes with the pattern, fabric, floss, and frame and is one of their shop exclusives. After Rocking Horse we stop for lunch and then move onto Deb's. All my other goodies were from my shopping trip to Stitches n Things. After we finished up there, it was onto camp for the weekend.

Once I got to camp, here are are the free designs I got. Generally every year at camp people bring patterns that they no longer plan on doing and put them on the swap table. These three caught my eye right off. I love the little mice on Mini Creations, and the words (especially the crows) were just to fun. Finally, who could resist the Go For It with the surprised cat.

In addition to my earlier goodies, we got goodie bags from Deb. These were just some of the fun stuff in my bag (which was a fantastic oversized plastic tote that will hold large projects wonderfully). Unfortunately I waited to long to take a picture of my goodie bag stuff and some of it has already been eaten or moved and I couldn't find it. Then after I got this picture I realized I'd forgotten my lovely carry bag it all came in. Oh well, you get the idea of the goodies.

Camp Stitch a Lot just flew by way to fast. With all the fun chatter, munching, seeing what everyone was working on, and seeing the class projects that were taught it was a fantastic weekend. Sunday Kim and I headed back home stopping to eat and then at JoAnn's. I had two 40% off coupons and there is one of the large JoAnn's right off the highway we were on. We each got a large roll of Monaco fabric (20x24 inches) for about $3, not a bad way to end the weekend. Monaco, with being an evenweave and having such nice holes to see, is what I'm thinking of doing Quaker Gone Tropic on, as the white should really make the colors I picked pop. I wanted a plain white rather then colored fabric so it wouldn't compete with the colors I picked. However, my fabric choice may very well change by the time I start.

Well I'm off to take Jaz for a nice slow and short walk. The previous lump on her leg, while it went down some, wouldn't totally go away, and it kept bleeding a little. With the lump and not healing, the vet suggested the lump really should come out so it could be checked and I agreed. So... Jaz also had surgery this past week (told you it's been crazy lately). The lump turned out to be a nasty cyst that was under the skin far enough it wouldn't heal. The cyst is gone now, and Jaz's leg is working on healing up. We'll go back next week to have the stitches out. In the meantime, short walks, no running, jumping, etc... Good thing in a way she's 12, as running and jumping really aren't what she's into much anymore anyway. Unless she sees a squirrel to close to her, all bets seem to be off if a squirrel in her yard seems to get to bold.

22 Comments:

  • At 7:52 PM , Blogger Shannon said...

    I love your finish for Halloween :)
    I've had my eye on those BRD too, I'm sure they'll find their way into a shopping cart soon lol And the other additions to your stash are great. Hopefully life lets you get back to stitching more soon !

     
  • At 8:09 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Cute Halloween finish.
    You have some really nice stitchy stash there. The camp sounds so fun, wish we had one around here :(
    I really enjoy to hear eveyone's time at these things.
    I do hope Jaz heals well.

     
  • At 8:39 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Your Halloween finish looks great! Boy are you gonna be busy with that stash--the colors in that Quaker piece are so yummy! I hope your doggy is feeling better soon-they're so pitiful aren't they?

     
  • At 8:51 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    Lots of stuff to see this go round. I wish we had a Camp Stitch A Lot here. Maybe there is and I just don't know it. I would love to get away with some like minded people for a weekend.
    Sounds like you had fun. I love all the goodies you got on your trip.
    I hope Jaz's leg gets all healed up fast now. poor baby, she's been though a lot lately! Give her a big hug and back scratch for me!

     
  • At 9:39 PM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Cute little finish.

    What fantastic stash! Your pre and post camp roadtrip sounds perfect!

    Glad you had a great time at camp! Its so nice to get away like that and it sounds like you need it!

     
  • At 10:23 PM , Blogger Becky K in OK said...

    So happy to hear Jaz is getting along now. It's sad when a pet has a medical problem. Stash from CSaL is fantastic.

     
  • At 10:45 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I love the Halloween piece. I could TOTALLY go shopping in your stash.

    Hope Jaz continues to heal up.

    Good to see you back blogging. Hope everything settles down at work.

    We don't have the job worries too much right now, but I totally know what you mean about construction season. They just ripped up (again) the main road into our area. Oh goodie --- construction + college kids coming off campus + senior citizens neighborhood = BIG headache when driving.

     
  • At 3:02 AM , Blogger mainely stitching said...

    Great stitchy stuff, and wonderful news about Jaz! :D

     
  • At 7:31 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    Very cute finish! You got some nice stash, too. Enjoy :)

     
  • At 9:44 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    HD for your SMO finish! Hey, at least you're onto March now ;o)

    Look at the stash!!!! Just from your words, I can tell you two had a great time :o) I've gotten one of her surprise bags before and they are awesome! I'd love to visit her store sometime.

    Poor Jazz :o( But I'm glad the sore it gone and she on her way to healing up for the summer months!

     
  • At 9:55 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your SMO finish is brilliant!

    Nice new stash. I've got Peppermint Twist. It's a gorgeous design.

    I hope Jaz gets better soon.

     
  • At 5:01 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    CUTE halloween finish:) and awesome stash! Your stitching retreat sounds as fun as ours was:)

     
  • At 8:30 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Very nice finish. The Feb/Halloween is charming! Lovely stash -- you selected wonderful projects. And great haul from stitch a lot camp. What fun.

     
  • At 10:02 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Wouldn't it be great to have a car that would go on autopilot? Press a button and sit back to read the paper or stitch. I have wanted one of those for a LONG time.

    Great stash aquisitions. And Camp Stitch A Lot has been something else I'd love to do. Getting away for the wknd to do what you love with people who enjoy the same thing.

    Glad Jaz is better. Scary when a wound doesn't heal. Glad it was just a cyst that needed to be removed and nothing more. Sending healing vibes your way.

     
  • At 11:00 AM , Blogger Doris said...

    Cute Halloween finish and nice stash too.

     
  • At 3:42 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    That Halloween stitch is so cute!!

     
  • At 10:20 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Cute finish! Love your new stash. I have Quaker Gone Tropic in my stash-one day-sigh

     
  • At 9:53 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Great stitching weekend and I love the new stash! Poor Jaz - I hope her leg is well on the mend now.

     
  • At 2:49 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    what a fun post! Love your Halloween finish!

    Your new stash is great!! I'm going to have to look closer at Quaker gone Tropic .. looks like a fun stitch! Sooo when are you starting PT???

    I'm glad to hear Jaz is doing better .. hope the leg heals quickly!

     
  • At 9:24 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    I'm typing this comment around
    Phoebe, who is determined to
    snuggle in my arms no matter
    how many times I lift her over
    to her blanket. She's also
    trying to nibble my fingertips.
    Cats!!

    I too am finding it hard to set
    aside time during the week for
    blogging and stitching. I
    started Weight Watchers two
    weeks ago, which means preparing
    my lunch takes longer then it
    use to. Plus I'm going for a
    walk every night which takes
    up half an hour or more. With
    other evening rituals (such as
    chatting with my Mom on the
    phone and taking a shower) also eating up time, its usually well after 8:30 and sometimes past
    9:00 before I can relax in front
    of the computer. And I go to bed
    at 10:00.

    Your latest SanMan Halloween
    finish is adorable!! I love
    those little bats flying around
    the witches hat. You are going
    to be well away for Halloween
    decorations after this year of
    stitching, aren't you?

    I'm drooling over your new
    stash! (Phoebe isn't amused)
    Those Blue Ribbon Designs
    charts are on my wish list,
    and I've been mulling over
    whether to pick up Quaker
    Goes Tropical as well. It's
    so unique, and the colours
    are so pretty. I love those
    Crescent Colours threads
    that you've chosen to stitch
    this with.

    Camp Stitch A Lot sounds like
    it was wonderful fun, not to
    mention all those side trips
    on the way there and back again.
    I'd love to do something like
    that someday.

    Poor Jaz has been having a hard
    time of it lately. Sorry to
    hear that she had to have
    surgery on her leg to remove
    that cyst. But at least the
    leg will heal properly now.
    I can just imagine her chasing
    squirrels. Our cats would do
    the same if we let them. And
    don't the squirrels ask for it
    sometimes?? Cheeky things.

    Hope Spring has decided to
    settle in around your area
    at last. Goodbye and good
    riddance to a long and
    tedious Winter. It's time
    for sunshine, flowers and
    green grass.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 12:14 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Don't you hate when work zaps us of all our energy and 'fun' time. I hope things settle down soon.

     
  • At 3:37 PM , Blogger disa said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home