Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Monday, March 23, 2009

Framing, a finish, progress, and a visitor

First up, the framing I actually stayed focused this past week and got my framing of Joyful Summer done. This is the frame I got for $10. It's wood, but not the normal brown tones, it has an underlying hint of a greenish/blue cast to it which I thought picked up the green and blue colors in the piece. I started looking at regular wood frames first, but they seemed to harsh next to the piece. It's now up and hanging and I smile when I pass it. Summer really does seem to be on its way, as lately the weather seems to be much improved. Fingers crossed it stays that way, however, it's early yet for Michigan so we still may get another burst of winter before spring is here to stay.

Next up is my new finish I did this for my daughter, I'm going to tuck it into her Easter card. She has a small stuffed mouse that travels all over with her, it's kind of her mascot. Checkers went to college with her, traveled to work at Disneyworld two summers, did an alternate break in the Florida everglades working with alligators, went all over Italy/Spain/France/England when she had a student exchange, and now goes all over the country with her on the circus train. Checkers is quite the well traveled mouse. So, I thought another little mouse would make a fun companion to hang on her wall. This was a flat tuck and design by SanMan Originals done on 28 ct. Monaco and quite fun to do.

I also got quite a bit done on Six Bats and a Witches Hat This piece is moving quite quickly. Of course it helped that I had quite a bit of uninterrupted time to work on it this weekend, since I was working on Cheese earlier in the week, but more on my weekend in a bit.

Finally, here's an update on the newest visitor to be captured for my wildlife in the city pictures.


Isn't he (she?) a cutie. Normally I don't care for possums, their tail is kind of nasty looking. However, I just thought he was so cute hanging out in the bush. When I first went out he was on the ground by my bird feeder, but when he saw me he scooted off into the bush and climbed up the fence. However, he must have felt safe in the bush, as he stayed there while I went in and got my camera and came back out. I was able to get within about 5 ft. of him, with him just looking at me. If I focus on his face, with his little pink nose, I do think he's kind of cute. Needless to say Jaz wanted to come out and say hi too, but I figured that might not go over to well, so Jaz had to stay inside until he finally ambled off (she was not to pleased with that).

As to my weekend, I got quite a bit of stitching in as I was at Camp Stitchalot this past weekend, which was hosted by Stitches n Things. I had a wonderful time, lots of chatting, munching, stitching, and laughs. I'll post some pictures of my lovely new stitchy stash later, as well as tell a little about all we did. In closing, thanks to all of you for your continued good wishes for Jaz. Her leg seems to be doing much better, the bump has gone down quite a bit. It still has to stay wrapped until it is totally gone, but it seems that with just a little more time she'll be back to normal with no more medicine or anything needed.

27 Comments:

  • At 7:37 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I am SO jealous that you got to go to stitch camp. Debbie seems SO nice.

    We had a little visit from a possum this week too. He left a little poopy calling card on my son's new car. Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

    I love the little mousy stitch. Adorable.

     
  • At 8:54 PM , Blogger Kylie said...

    Oh my!!! I am also VERY jealous that you got to go to Camp!! I would LOVE to do that someday!!

    Great work...your Six Bats is coming along very nicely and your framing is beautiful! Do you frame yours yourself??

    Cute critter pics too!

     
  • At 9:46 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    Ewww... nasty possum!

    Love your framing and the mouse piece, though. Both look great!

     
  • At 5:30 AM , Blogger mainely stitching said...

    Wow, a real wild possum! Cool!!!

    Great framing! :D

     
  • At 7:31 AM , Blogger Vonna said...

    I love your framed CCN..how pretty and springy! The san man is adorable too! What progress on your 6 witches AND Camp-Stitch-Alot...I'm jealous! Did you see Myrna?

    Opossum...I had an encounter with one last fall while walking...not to be repeated (I hope!) :)
    He is cute though in that bush!

     
  • At 7:36 AM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    Love seeing Joy framed - looks even better if thats possible. The little mouse is so so cute as is your possum.

     
  • At 10:01 AM , Anonymous Maren said...

    Yeah, possums looks cute, particularly hanging from the bush like that. I'd be careful not to get too close though.

    Your framing is wonderful! I've said it before and I'll say it again, I LOVE the colors on that piece. So bright and spring-y! I am also very jealous that you got to go to stitch camp. It sounds like tons of fun!

     
  • At 12:22 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    Love your finishes...wouldn't mind finding that cute mouse in my Easter basket!

     
  • At 1:16 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Your framing looks great and that mouse fabric is perfect for the little travelling mouse for your daughter :)

    Six bats is coming along great too, I'm jealous about stitch camp too! We don't seem to have anything like that here, not for cross stitch anyway.

    The possum looks cute from here :)

     
  • At 3:43 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    I guess I didn't have to wait long ;o) As you can see, I'm trying to catch up on my Blog reading. LOL! Looks awesome!

    LOVE your little tuck finish. The mouse is just too cute and I'm sure your daughter will love it too :o)

    Oh my! That possum actually looks pretty cute in the tree. I've never seen an actual one before.

    Glad to hear that Jazz is doing better :o)

    I heard you went to Camp Stitchalot! Lucky girls ;o)

     
  • At 9:41 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    awesome framing!
    The mouse finish is sweet.
    We have a little oppossum visit our patio regularly.
    I want a camp stitchalot around here, I do think N. Illinois is a dead zone for stitchers, lol Although I did meet some last weekend, hopefully more come out of the woodwork by me :)
    BRD, I love it and the colrs too

     
  • At 6:47 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Love how you've framed Joyful Summer. It looks gorgeous.

    Your San Man finish is so cute!

    Wow you're really moving along with the BRD piece!

    Cute possum!

     
  • At 9:44 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

    How wonderful that you got to go to stitch camp! Please come to my blog as I have something for you.

     
  • At 10:27 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Joy came out so nice!!! I love the frame job. and your grid is getting SO close to being done!!! My favorite though is Cheese Please! How adorable!!! Love the coordinating fabric too.

     
  • At 11:58 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    Love your Joyful Summer, perfect fabby, very folky, perfect!

    Sincerely, Sue

    http://stitchinsweetsue.blogspot.com/

     
  • At 3:01 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    love Joy all framed up! makes me anxious to get mine framed :)

    can't wait to hear all about your stitching weekend! aren't they fun :)

    love the mouse stitch .. I'm sure your daughter will get a big kick out of it!

    ahhhhh wildlife!! lol

     
  • At 3:33 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Very very pretty! Stitch camp sounds like a blast!

     
  • At 8:46 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    I am happy to hear that JAz is improving. Good for her, relief for you!
    Love, love, love the frame around Summer...It is a very nice frame and for $10, can't beat it! I liek the little flat tuck you did for your daughter. She will love it I am sure. Cute that she has the stuffed mouse she takes every where with her, that is just so sweet.
    Wow on the progress of Six Bats...impressive!
    For some reason Possums make me shudder when I see them. I think it is because I watch too much TV and that shows them being nasty little things. Or maybe it's the tail. ick!
    I'm a little jealous of you going to stitch camp. I would probably drive everyone nuts with all my chattering!

     
  • At 1:48 AM , Blogger Kathy A. said...

    Joyful Summer looks great framed. The little mouse you stitched for your daughter is just the cutest thing ever. Nice work on 6 bats.

     
  • At 5:49 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Your finishes look great Sue! Congrats! Bet your daughter will love it.
    Dont think ive ever seen a possum before

     
  • At 3:26 PM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Your little visitor is just adorable!

    Congratulations on your finish and framing, I feel like its been a month since I've found the time to visit any blogs! I really like that piece its so colourful.

    I'm sure your daughter will love another mouse to travel with her!

     
  • At 5:23 PM , Blogger Sari said...

    Your Joy looks so nice!

    And what a cute possum :)

     
  • At 9:25 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    Stitching Camp sounds like tonz of
    fun, and a great weekend getaway.
    Can't wait to hear all about it
    and see pictures of the stash you
    brought home with you.

    Your framing of Joyful Summer
    turned out fabulous!! It looks
    great in the frame that you chose,
    with the darker frame setting off
    the colors in the design perfectly.
    I can just imagine how good it
    feels to have it hanging up on
    the wall and getting to enjoy it
    every time you walk by it.

    Your little SanMan finish is very
    sweet, which is typical for their
    designs, and your daughter is going
    to love it I'm sure. I've been
    collecting some of the SanMan
    designs for awhile but have yet to
    actually stitch one. Must remedy
    that soon.

    Love seeing your progress photos
    of Six Bats and checking out the
    newest motifs that you've stitched
    on it. You really are motoring
    along on this one.

    Pictures can be deceiving. I will
    grant you that the Possum looks
    cute up in the tree in your photos
    but in real life these guys have a
    nasty disposition. Ah well. It's
    still always fascinating to see wild creatures in the midst of suburbia. Wonder if they eat stuff out of the bird feeder???

    Glad to hear that Jaz's leg is
    doing better.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 9:47 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Oh, what a busy bee you've been, Sweetie! I LOVE Joy! It's gorgeous and so cheerful and the frame is lovely! Congratulations on such a lovely finish! I know it looks lovely hanging in your home! :)

    And your wee Mousey is adorable! I love Cheese, Please! My Momma and Aunties always tease me about how I used to go around begging for "A Piece of Cheese, Please!" when I was a little girl. lol Yes, I love cheese! :) I know your dear daughter is going to love this one! :)

    And my but you are really coming along with Six Bats and a Witches Hat! It's looking just gorgeous and you will be finished in no time! I can't wait to see it!

    And oh, your Opossum is a cutie peeking out of the branches! I always think they have the saddest eyes... When I lived in the country there was a family of them that always came up to eat food at the back door... the babies were so cute! :) Elisha says they are still there... as well as a racoon or two... ;)

    I do hope it has warmed up a wee bit for you, Hun and the snow is behind you... it's been warmer here... rained a lot the last few days but we need it for all the lovely new flowers! :)

    Oh, and how wonderful to go to Camp Stitchalot again this year! I know you had a lovely time! You will have to post photos, Hun! And photos of your lovely new stash as well! ;)

    Kind, fond thoughts and wishes to you my dear friend, with blessings and love always in stitches...

     
  • At 5:07 AM , Blogger sofietjes borduurwerkjes said...

    that abc is realy nice i love it.
    And the Yoy is also realy nice.
    I will follow you r blog.
    Greetings sofie

     
  • At 5:08 AM , Blogger sofietjes borduurwerkjes said...

    that abc is very nice.
    i will follow you blog.
    Greetings sofie

     
  • At 10:22 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Nice framing and your finsh is too adorable.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home