Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, March 15, 2009

A finish, a visit, and some awards

Well it's done, and just in time for the start (hopefully) of some lovely spring like weather. I finished up Joyful Summer by Country Cottage Needleworks the other evening.

I loved working on this piece. The fabric color (blue is my favorite) and the fun and colorful birds and flowers made me smile. This was a perfect pick me up piece. The fabric is 28 ct Little Boy Blue linen and I used Crescent Colours (always lovely to work with) and DMC. Even the french knots in this worked well for me (and those usually I have a horrible time getting to look right). Yesterday I was over at JoAnns and found a frame I liked on sale for $10. It was one that had artwork in it, so I'll need to open it up and take the current picture out and then frame this up, but I think it will look good when done, and $10 for a nice frame is hard to beat.

Yesterday I spent the day at Kim's. It had been a while since we (my parents and I) had been able to visit my brother and his family, and since the weather was bright and sunny, everyone was well at the moment, and my brother is having his birthday this week we headed there for the day. We had a lovely visit, went out for pizza, and Kim and I got to stitch some. It is so nice having a SIL that I can not only count as a good friend but that also shares my love of stitching. We got to compare our progress on our BRD SAL that we are doing. While we'd seen the design and fabric we were going to use, we hadn't gotten together to see each others progress since we'd started. Luck is so cute in real life, I'll enjoy stitching it when we swap patterns. I also got to see several others of Kim's recent finishes, and got to show off Joyful Summer. A very fun day.

Recently I received two awards, the first is from Lizzie
Thanks Lizzy, it is such fun to have a place like blogger to show off our stitchy finishes, furbabies, and such. Now I am supposed to list my five addictions and also nominate five bloggers...


As for my addictions, only five hmmm that's a challenge
- My daughter, she's the light of my life and challenges me to try things that are out of my comfort zone. Also, she's the only one I can actually say has ran away and joined the circus, yup, she's the adventuresome type (she so does not take after me in that way).
- My furbabies, they're always so glad to see me no matter what, especially if I come bearing treats. :)
- My stitching, I love being able to see it grow, know I'm creating it, and it is my stress reliever and helps keep me sane in this crazy world
- My books, I love to read, and will read just about anything. It's a wonderful escape from everyday issues, and as with stitching keeps the stress at a lower level and me reasonably sane.
- My treats, Chocolate, Coke, Diet Dr. Pepper, and Chai tea or Mocha Cappuccinos, all so yummy (now if I could just get addicted to exercise to offset them a bit, LOL).

I'm supposed to name five others for this award, it is so hard to chose, I love all your blogs and would really give this to everyone. But lets see, to keep the award moving

  • Dee

  • Kim

  • Tammy

  • Meari

  • Carol


  • I also got this fun award from Judy Thanks, Judy, I love to get comments and so try to comment on others.

    Again, I need to pass this on to five other bloggers, all of whom I think have wonderful blogs to look at, as well as leaving such lovely comments. Again, it is so hard to pick out just a few. Really, if I visit your blogs I think you're all awesome.
  • Claudia

  • Lizzie

  • Ranae

  • Sue

  • Lynn


  • Well, it is bright and sunny so I'm off to do errands. While still cold (only about 40F), there is no snow and we've got beautiful sun. Spring may be on its way.

    20 Comments:

    • At 2:24 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

      Congrats! on the awards.
      Thanks for thinking of me for one of them, right back at ya.
      Joyful Summer is so beautiful, just in time for the nice weather to arrive. Nice price for a frame too. It must be so nice to have Kim to share stitchy stuff with.
      Take Care!

       
    • At 3:15 PM , Blogger mainely stitching said...

      Hey, congratulations on your wonderful finish! It's gorgeous!! And of course, congratulations on the lovely awards! :D

       
    • At 3:54 PM , Blogger Dee said...

      Awwww, thanks! Now I need to pick from so many great blogs that I read.

       
    • At 5:20 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

      Joyful Summer is a real pick me up, congrats on a great finish! And a great bargain for the frame too.

      Thanks so much for the award too, it is totally 'right back at ya' as Ranae said, as I always think your comments are lovely :)

      Glad you got to spend some time with your family, look forward to seeing the BRD pieces :)

       
    • At 6:34 PM , Blogger Doris said...

      joyful summer look so beautiful in blue fabric, congratulations.

       
    • At 7:13 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

      Thanks so much!! There are so many great ones out there, and I plan on visiting the ones you've listed.

      Joy is beautiful!!!! That came out so nice and really perfect timing too. You can hang it up as the season tries to come around.

       
    • At 8:39 PM , Blogger Becky K in OK said...

      Congrats on the finish. It looks great.

       
    • At 1:45 AM , Anonymous Maren said...

      Congratulations on both the awards and that absolutely lovely finish! I love the colors, so bright and cheerful!

       
    • At 2:49 AM , Blogger claudia said...

      Joyful Summer turned out absolutely perfect! It's also perfect to celebrate a up and coming Joyful Summer, after all this icky wet wintery stuff! Now I can't wait to see it framed and hanging.
      Happy Birthday to your brother! It is nice to have a SIL as a friend and fellow stitcher. I bet you wish you could get together more often though.
      Congratulations on the award! You really deserve it! I love coming over and seeing what you've been up to. You always have some great things to share!
      And thank you for the award. I wil "wear" it with pride. It's my first. And of course it is easy to leave good comments on your blog. There is so much to oo and awe about! Thank you again!

       
    • At 6:18 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

      That's a beautiful finish! Sounds like you had a wonderful visit with your family.

      Congrats on the awards!

       
    • At 2:28 PM , Blogger Milly~ said...

      Joyful Summer turned out great! Congrats on a great finish!

       
    • At 2:39 PM , Blogger Michele said...

      Congrats on the finish! Can't wait to see it in the new frame! $10 can't be beat!

      Congrats on the awards too :)

       
    • At 11:17 AM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

      Congrats on finishing "Joyful Summer"!! So pretty:) $10 frame, now that's a bargain! Can't wait to see a pic of it framed.
      and congrats on your 2 awards!!

       
    • At 11:02 AM , Blogger Sally said...

      What a beautiful finish! I love the colours in this piece.

       
    • At 12:55 PM , Blogger Siobhan said...

      Congrats on a beautiful finish! And the awards, too! :)

       
    • At 4:28 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

      I can certainly see why you enjoyed working on that piece...love the colors! congrats on the awards!

       
    • At 12:53 AM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

      Oh I just love that design its so bright and cheerful in just sings of summer days.

       
    • At 9:37 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

      Hi Sue,

      Your latest finish is fabulous!!!
      You're so right about this design
      being a great pick-me-up thanks to
      it's cheery design and luscious
      colours. I look forward to seeing
      it in the frame you've picked for
      it.

      It's nice getting together with
      family isn't it? Especially when
      you can't do it as often as you'd
      like. And it's even better when
      you share a passion for cross
      stitching, as you and your SIL do.

      Your addictions list sounds quite
      a bit like my own did, with the
      exception being that you have a
      daughter who ran away and joined
      the circus, and I do not. But
      books, cross stitch, furbabies
      and chocolate...oh yes.

      I'm going to see my Mom tomorrow
      so I'll be able to see how she's
      doing with her knitting and the
      cotton wool that I got her for
      the dish cloths that she is
      knitting for me. I'm going to
      take my newly finished and framed
      projects to show her as well.

      The weather has been slowly but
      surely changing and improving
      here as well, and all but the
      most enormous piles of snow,
      around parking lots and the like,
      are gone...and good riddance to
      it!! Spots of green are showing
      in the garden, and the robins
      are back in town. Roll on Spring!

      Cheers!!

       
    • At 3:39 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

      Hurray!!!! A HD for you Sue :o) Joyful Summer is beautiful and I can't wait to see it framed.

      Congrats on your awards :o)

       
    • At 7:15 PM , Blogger Felicity said...

      'Joy' is gorgeous!

       

    Post a Comment

    Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

    << Home