Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Half way there

I can't believe it's been almost two weeks since my last post. While I don't post as frequent as many, I do generally update once a week. However, life in general seems to be a bit overwhelming at times at the moment. This seems to be the case for many of us with everything going on given what seems to be in so many blogs. One of the things I'm thankful for is my stitching. It really does help me to destress at the end of the day. Somehow after an hour or so of stitching, other things seem to be a bit more manageable. Six bats has been such a perfect project, I don't think I could do a more complicated one at the moment. It is amazing the mistakes I seem to make on this, and how hard can it be to count a pattern in the little squares that are already laid out? Thankfully it is a very forgiving pattern.

This last week, while my counting wasn't off on one of the designs like in my previous post, I did manage to stitch a whole square and then noted I'd put it in the wrong square. Thankfully it wasn't a letter or number where it would really stand out, so I just stitched the one I was supposed to have stitched in the other square and called it even. So here is my progress so far I've gotten 43 of the 81 squares done. So although I haven't started the border yet, I figure I'm halfway done, not to bad for two months work. Kim and I are really keeping quite a similar pace on our SAL even without making a huge effort at doing so. Kim has about 40 squares and some of the border done on Luck, Letters, and Leprechauns too. While I took a short break to work on my earlier SanMan finish, Kim's spent a bit of time on Red Thread.

Some of my stress must have come through in my voice when we've talked or in my emails, as I got a lovely Stitching Break in a Box surprise from Kim the other day. My mailman delivered the best goodie package. Unfortunately I didn't take a picture of it before I got into it. I opened it up to a very cute card telling me to take a break, make some tea, put my feet up and stitch. Inside the box was some Chai tea (I love Chai), some Comfort and Joy tea, some biscotti, and the fabric, floss, and tuck pillow to make this wonderful little guy. So that's what I did
Didn't he stitch up cute? This is Portrait of a Dog by Brittercup Designs on 28ct Monaco. I did Portrait of a Cat (also a present from Kim) earlier. Kim made the tuck pillows for both of them for me too, I think she did a wonderful job on them. So now in my kitchen I can enjoy seeing this little fellow, as well as my earlier one of the cat Britty Kitty This is why we stitch, it's relaxing and seeing the fun things we make, makes us smile. Hope you all are able to have some relaxing stitching time as well.

21 Comments:

  • At 9:55 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    What a nice stitchy surprise! Very cute, too. Your WIP looks good and I wouldn't have known you stitched a square wrong.

     
  • At 10:47 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    The little pup is adorable.

    I love the colors in your Halloween piece. It is really working up nicely.

     
  • At 12:13 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    Wow! Your Halloween squares stitch is speeding along.
    What a great friend in Kim. The pooch tuck pillow is so cute!
    Yes...RELAX! I wish I could sit and stitch some nights and it just doesn't happen. (I do spend way too much time on the computer) I'm de-stressing though.

     
  • At 10:19 AM , Blogger Tammy said...

    All your projects look wonderful! I absolutely love that Halloween design-so fun!

     
  • At 10:24 AM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Congrats on hitting the half way point with your squares!

    What a thoughtful thing for Kim to do! That puppy is adorable.

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Blogger mainely stitching said...

    Sorry you've had some stress lately. It certainly does seem to be making the rounds! Take care, and enjoy that fabulous tea! ;)

     
  • At 8:17 AM , Blogger Doris said...

    congratulations for your progress.
    aw,,the doggy is so cutee.

     
  • At 10:03 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I have to say I'm really impressed with how much you've gotten done!!! It seems to look like more than half, but I guess I'm not including the borders.

    Love those kitty and puppy profiles. VERY cute and such a quick stitch!

     
  • At 1:15 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    You've done loads! I don't mind making mistakes that end up making the design personal to us, no one else will know and we promise not to tell ;)

    2009 seems to be a challenging year for a lot of people so far. I hope things work out for you soon, you're right, at least we can share a relaxing hobby :)

     
  • At 4:48 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    sorry to hear life has been a bit stressful .. I can relate and it's no fun! What a lovely little surprise you received in the mail! Was the Joy tea one of the Starbuck's teas? That is one of my favorites these days, along with Zen :)

    I just adore those tucks! and the dog is adorable :)

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Wow you have got loads done on your Halloween piece and it's looking brilliant!

    What a lovelt surprise! The tuck and little pup are so sweet.

     
  • At 10:54 AM , Blogger Craft-i-leigh said...

    Those pillows are just too cute! I am new to the world of stitching and have been browsing various blogs to try and gain some knowledge and get some tips / ideas. I originally started with a stamped, then counted “kits”. I’m working on my 2nd chart and have noticed some big differences in floss types and quality.
    My Cross Stitch Mentor has told me that I’m ready to graduate from Aida, but I really like Aida. Maybe it’s just beginner’s comfort???
    If you would answer my question… What type of fabric or fabrics do you prefer and why? Brands and counts?
    I would appreciate any advice, thanks!

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    I love your wip and you're really moving on this one! and your pillows are adorable!
    That was so sweet of Kim to send you such a thoughtful gift!

     
  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    Great little stitchy surprise...so cute! And I would never find the errors in such a forgiving pattern. Looks like such fun to stitch too!

     
  • At 7:24 PM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    You are making great progress on this. I agree with the hour of stitching comment.

     
  • At 10:45 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Great progress on your Halloween piece Sue! Your surprise is really cute!

     
  • At 4:02 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Cute tuck pillow.
    I absolutelty love the BRD. I have pumpkins or something like that, but I think I will purchase the one you have. I know I am a copy cat, lol.

     
  • At 7:00 AM , Blogger Lilang said...

    Like your works

     
  • At 2:08 PM , Blogger Kathy A. said...

    Great progress on your Halloween piece. Isn't it nice when the stitching cooperates and allows for a little adjustment!
    Love your little gifts. What a great friend to have

     
  • At 3:53 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Good for you Sue! It's looking great and who's going to know but you where you changed the symbols ;o)

    That was very nice of Kim :o) It's always good to have someone out there watching out for you.

     
  • At 3:37 PM , Blogger disa said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home