Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, January 10, 2009

A new style squares, SAL, and a Bully

A new style of square is what we learned to do at the book reading. Last weekend I went to the book reading/signing at our local bookstore where they had Kate Jacobs appearing, the author of Friday Night Knitting Club. It was a lot of fun, she was a good speaker, read a section from her new sequel Knit 2, and answered questions. Just before she started, the owners of a local yarn store got us all started on making squares that would be about 5"x5" when finished and be donated. They are going to put the squares together for an afghan (or afghans if enough are donated as are collecting all the month of January) and then it will be auctioned off as a fundraiser for Breast Cancer research. I know how to knit a regular square, but the squares they had us do are knit in a diamond shape, with increasing and decreasing. It turned out to be easy and fun. My mom and friend went with me. My mom did great, picking up how to increase and decrease quickly and she's finished her square. My friend also did well, but had to work a bit harder. My mom loves to make scarfs, just straight knitting but varying the yarns. She then donates the scarfs to the local police station who puts them in the Christmas baskets they do each year and distribute to local seniors so they get a lovely warm scarf as a Christmas treat in their goodie package. However, this was really the first she's tried to increase and decrease. She only had to see it once or twice and she was off and going great. My friend has only just learned to knit, so trying to do the increasing and decreasing for her was harder, but she's sticking to it. I had such fun making the diamond type shape that I did three squares. I did the rust colored one first, and then the other two. Most squares they are getting seemed to be solid colors, so I did the other two in a variegated yarn so they might have an easier time transitioning between some of the colors in putting together the afghan. I used Lion Brands Vanna's Choice, which was a nice yarn to work with.

For you non knitters I've also got a bit of stitching done. My goal for this is 2-3 squares a week, so I'll be done by Oct. At this point that means I should have 4-6 squares done. As you can see I'm doing well on my SAL with my DSIL. It is kind of bright out today, but not sunny. We are getting a lot of snow, so is more of a glare. The picture turned out pretty good, except for it made the linen look more washed out than it really is. I'm really enjoying this. I didn't think I'd like doing all the little squares as outlines, but working on those at the end of the day is pretty relaxing. Not a lot of counting, as they are all the same size, and no color changes, so I can just grab my floss and go. The pattern is a delight to follow too. She gives the pattern all on one sheet, but also includes four additional sheets with the pattern blown up to a large size, lovely to look at with tired eyes. I'm definitely going to want to do some more of the Blue Ribbon Designs in this series.

As to the bully part of the title, this week I'll introduce you to our neighborhood bully. I live in the city, and while there are a lot of birds and squirrels, some of the other wildlife surprises me on occasion. We have numerous rabbits, and I've seen opossums and even raccoons, remember these two little guys? There are two of them hiding in the picture. All pictures are clickable so you can see them better. However, the Hawks I would have thought would have stayed in a more rural area, guess not.
In the first one he's hiding in the bushes, waiting for a unsuspecting bird or mouse to amble by. The second one he'd boldly come out into the yard. Sorry the picture isn't clearer, but I had to shoot the one on the ground through my window so as not to scare him. Since are blurry, he kind of looks like an oversized fat turtledove. In real life though he's gorgeous. Next week, I'll show you the neighborhood clown.

17 Comments:

  • At 2:37 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Nice knitted squares.
    Our bully of the bird feeder is the Blue Jays, they are so mean to the others.
    BRD is looking great, love the owl

     
  • At 3:58 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Sounds like a fantastic day and you all did really well with your squares :o)

    Your SAL is coming along and should go rather quickly with outlining the blocks.

    Love the critter pics :o)

     
  • At 4:05 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Oh, you've been the busy bee whilst I've been in hiding! I LOVE Six Bats and a Witches Hat!!! You are such an enabler, you know! I've been admiring this for a long time and a couple others in the series and you're making me want to run out and buy a copy now! lol Can't wait to see more... ;-)

    I love your knitted squares and how cool the book-signing must have been! I so wish I lived near a Barnes and Noble or a really nice book shoppe where they had book signings and lattes... Ah, that would be the life! I'd take my stitching and stitch and read and drink lattes all day! :-) I haven't read Friday Night Knitting Club yet, but it nearly went into my shopping cart a time or two at Amazon or Wal-mart... What did you think of it? And how was the author?

    As for all your other stitchy and knitting projects... as I said you've been a busy bee and I just can not keep up! It's all lovely, Hun!

    And I love your *Wildlife in the City* photos... aren't those Racoons the most adorable things peeking out of the branches... and I just love to watch a Hawk soar! Thanks for sharing... and whilst you are sharing... how about sharing some of that snow? We haven't had the first flake and I would sooo love a beautiful snowfall... :-)

    Thank you so much for always thinking of me... You truly are an Angel and your kind and loving heart is Blessing to us all! You just don't know how much you brigten my days, Sue...

    And would you please email me your snail addy so I will have it on hand... you never know when you might find a wee surprise in the post from me! :-)

    Thanks Sweetie and wishing you a Blessed and Joyful, Stitchy New Year!

    Sending you lots of Love and {{{Hugs}}}
    ~ Lizzy ~

     
  • At 4:20 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    My DD wants me to knit her a scarf so I'm on the look out for a pretty pattern or yarn. I am havign a bit of trouble with my wrist though so hope I can do it for her. x

     
  • At 4:47 PM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Your Blue Ribbon piece is coming along nicely.

     
  • At 4:54 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    You did a great job on the squares.

    We have hawks in our area. We are suburban, but very close to a wilderness park. When I hear the hawks screeching I usually see a snake within a couple of days. They love to hunt snakes in my yard.

     
  • At 6:24 PM , Blogger Kylie said...

    Very nice squares. I want to teach myself to knit this year. It's on my to-do-list.
    I know exactly what you mean on having the "easy" stitching of the square outlines. Some days your brain just needs a break from counting & changing floss colors constantly!
    The wildlife pics are amazing! Very beautiful!
    Happy stitching! :)

     
  • At 8:11 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    Pretty knitted squares! Good job!
    Great progress on your SAL piece too!

     
  • At 8:26 AM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Great squares!

     
  • At 10:27 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    I wish I could knit as fast as you! I could never have gotten those squares done so quickly. I think I need to concentrate more!
    What a great idea for a fund raiser! Sounds like you had a great day!

     
  • At 10:54 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I really wish we'd get book signigns here, but apparently nobody ever schedules for Orlando in winter. Am I the only person to see something wrong with this?!?!

    you are doing really well on your SAL, right where you should be. And those are great squares. How many did they have at the end of the night? How did you like Vanna's yarn? I've been hearing some great things abt it.

    Love the pics of the wildlife. It's like looking for Waldo! LOL Can't wait to see the clown.

     
  • At 4:43 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Great knitted squares, it sounds like a fun night out, seeing the author and getting to learn a new skill too!

    I love the BR design I did, 'Tiny Trees' for the same reasons as you. I swapped it with KarenV for 'Sealed with a Kiss' so if you fancy a swap later in the year for your 'Six Bats' chart let me know :)

    Our bullies are magpies and pigeons!

     
  • At 7:03 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    You're moving right along on BRD. It does seem to go fast. Instead of the little squares being monotonous, they are good to do while watching TV. I'm enjoying this much more than I thought I would. Nice job on the knitting. One day you will need to show me how. I can knit but not pearl. I also don't know how to increase/decrease. I'm feeling the need for a stichy get together.

     
  • At 5:38 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Love the Knitted Squares..Wish I could find a class here.The SAL is comming along nice. Good luck with your goal.

     
  • At 6:32 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your BRD piece is looking good. I want to stitch Winter Wingding this year.

     
  • At 8:25 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Great new start on your BRD! Knitting squares is so much fun and addicting!

     
  • At 12:14 PM , Blogger Denise said...

    ACTUALLY, hawks are becoming more and more urban/suburbanized...especially Cooper's hawks and Red shouldered hawks. Why???? Bird feeders of course!!!! These two species feed off of smaller birds, and finding bird feeders are their versions of fast food...like going through the drive thru!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home