Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, January 17, 2009

More squares and the clown

Well as crazy as it's been this week, I did manage to squeeze in a bit more stitching time. I can't believe I was worried that I wouldn't enjoy doing the squares (the outlining of them) on my Blue Ribbon Design, that I'd find it to boring or repetitive, I'm loving them. Every time I finish a little square it feels like an accomplishment, even though it is just the outline. Then I get the fun of looking to see what fun little goodie I get to stitch inside. Even when I'm really tired I can work on it, as doing the square outlines doesn't even really require looking at the pattern. I have the Six Bats and a Witches Hat that I'm currently doing, and I also have Winter WingDings. If I swap with Kim who I'm doing this as a SAL with, since she's doing Luck, Letters, and Leprechauns, that gives me a third I can do. There are so many other fun ones in this series, like PostCards from Paradise and Bunnies and Blooms, I think there will definitely be more of these in the future. So here's what I got done this week. Again lighting wasn't so good. However, since we are getting snow again and not much sun (and I don't even want to go into the cold) this is about as good as I was going to get.

Last week I introduced you to the bully in our neighborhood, today I'll show you the clown, and I'll bet a lot of you have these crazy little fellows living in your neighborhoods. Here he is checking out the seed basket and getting ready to steal a bit and here he is after he's gotten a handful and wants to eat it They are so funny the way they can hang upside down with their toes and eat. I know some people don't like it that they get into the bird feeders, but I don't mind. They are so cute and fun to watch, they make me smile. Some days I can have as many as 6 or 8 running around in the back at the same time. I was complaining a couple weeks ago when I took these that it was cold, and at that point a lot of the snow we'd gotten earlier had melted. Little did I know what we'd be getting later, I should have enjoyed it while we had it. Again, I was having to take the pictures through the window, so as not to startle them off the feeder, so they are a bit fuzzy. However, as soon as I go out and they hear the door they are on alert, courtesy of Jaz. While she's getting older so doesn't chase the squirrels as much anymore, she still does just often enough that they are wary of her. Earlier this summer I was quite worried on Jaz, as she seemed to have such difficulty getting around anymore. However, the colder weather seems to have given her a new lease on life. While I don't like the snow, she sure does. Here are some pictures of her having her normal fun in the snow. When I took the pictures, I thought we had a fair amount of snow, but it just kept coming, so this is just a small amount of what we currently have.
Can you tell how much she loves it, LOL.
Well I'm off to see what all you've been up to. Hope you're staying warm, seems like everywhere is cold this winter.

19 Comments:

  • At 6:45 PM , Blogger Kylie said...

    I miss my clowns! We moved this past spring, and I haven't had a single squirrel on my feeders. I hate it! Plenty of feathered friends but no furry ones. I blame it on my neighbor's dogs. I think they scare them away. :( Coming along very nice on your pattern.

     
  • At 6:48 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Aww the clowns. They are pretty cute.
    I love your dog in the snow..my Jazzy does the same thing she is a cross Chow-Chow-Lab.
    Your squares are looking good!

     
  • At 7:52 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    That stitching project will be done before you know it!!! It's not a LONG line of squares, you're breaking it up nicely.

    I used to have a cat that liked snow, he would catch it with his paws and always was surprised when teh snow melted! LOL

    Oh and stay warm!!!! LOL

     
  • At 8:15 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

    I've got Blue Ribbons' Postcards from Paradise, but don't think I'm up to such a small count project this year. They do look like fun though!

     
  • At 9:05 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    I was in Utah in January years ago and had taken my German Shepherd with me. This dog HATED water in the worst way, so I thought she would have a really hard time in the snow. Little did I know that she was a reincarnated sled dog. She would run through the snow with her head down and her mouth open and just pick up the snow like a snow plow! I wish I had pictures of it.
    Your squares are coming along really quickly. I like your project! I have gotten half way through my little sampler that I got from Gift of Stitching magazine. When my camera is working again, I will post pictures.
    Hoep you start getting some warmth out there!

     
  • At 10:27 PM , Blogger Paisley said...

    Great stitchy progress! I had to go take a look-see at the other patterns you mentioned and saw Sealed With A Kiss. I may just have to add that one to my stash! Have you seen the count down to Halloween calendar? I thought that one was pretty neat.

     
  • At 10:48 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Good eye .... yes, that is a Pine Mountain kit, but it's not one of the new ones. I've had it for awhile.

    The orchids do like the warm of being inside, but they really hate the dry heat of the furnace. They will be very happy to get back outside where there is plenty of humidity.

    Your pup is adorable. I bet she loves to snuggle.

     
  • At 9:10 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

    Great pictures of your dog playing in the snow.
    Very good update on your project.

     
  • At 9:12 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    LOL@Jaz... At least someone is enjoying the winter! Your WIP looks good... glad you're enjoying it more than you thought you would.

     
  • At 11:28 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    You're coming along really well with your squares. I can certainly understand why you think it's fun :o)

    Jazz is so cute rolling in the snow. That's what Duncan loves to do. He's got such a thick coat.

     
  • At 5:43 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    Great progress on the BRD. I think we will be finished more quickly than planned. I, too, am enjoying the little boxes more than I thought I would. Jaz is a sweetheart.

     
  • At 11:17 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    So funny how your dog loves the snow! Mine has never been in it and I'm not sure what she'd do!
    Great progress on your squares! Cute pattern!

     
  • At 5:41 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Jaz certainly looks like she loves the snow!

    Good progress on your WIP.

     
  • At 5:50 AM , Blogger Steve said...

    The dog seems to be enjoying the snow
    Dog Ramps

     
  • At 4:35 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    Great progress! I'm going to really enjoy watching this one grow :)

    Ohhh I love Jazzy!!! Maddy is the same with the snow .. so much fun!

     
  • At 6:29 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Is she making a doggy angel in the snow, cute!!
    The squares are looking great. I worked on mine this weekend, so have to get a pic of it up on mine. I am sure you noticed I started on the top corner, I have to stitch the alphabet in order, crazy huh? lol

     
  • At 7:09 PM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    We have a pecan tree in the front yard so the clowns are never to far away...LOL
    Love your stitching project and glad you are having a good time with it.

     
  • At 5:53 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    Love seeing the pictures of the
    "wildlife" in your neighbourhood.

    We have the raccoons and squirrels
    and opossums and rabbits here too.
    The opossums have come up from the
    States but are not native to our
    area. Our winters are too cold
    for them and their furless ears
    and tails freeze.

    We've had hawks in our big tree
    and in our yard as well. They
    are breathtaking to see. They've
    made kills in our yard too (sadly).

    We have black, grey and little
    brown squirrels, who also love
    our bird feeders, and also the
    suet cakes that we put out in
    the winter for the birds. The
    cats find them endlessly
    fascinating to watch from the
    back door.

    My mom has taken up knitting
    dishcloths. Do you use the
    "string" style of wool for
    yours?? Mom finds this stuff
    hard on her hands and can only
    knit a few rows at a time. I
    must remember to show her past
    posts on your blog where you've
    had pictures of your knitting.

    Wow. Those Blue Ribbon Design
    "Square" designs are really cute
    when you see them actually being
    stitched. The pictures on their
    packages don't do the pieces
    justice. I am looking forward
    to seeing your progress on this
    piece.

    Awww...Jaz is so sweet rolling
    around in the snow. And it's
    helping with her aches and pains
    which is a nice bonus.

    Cheers!!

     
  • At 8:04 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    LOL@ the clown! They are funny sometimes with the silly things they do. I love to watch them. Your project is looking great--and your dog's pics were so cute! I wish we would have a taste of some snow. Just cold weather for now...

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home