Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Thursday, January 01, 2009

A finish, a WIP, and a New Start

Happy New Year to you all, I hope the coming year is a good one. I stayed in last night and for the early part of the evening tried to teach a friend to knit. Given my knitting skills aren't the greatest, it was a little bit interesting at times. However, we had a good time and she got several rows done and took the needles and yarn home to practice a bit more. So at least she hasn't run off screaming never again. Kate Jacobs, the author of Friday Night Knitting Club, is coming to a bookstore near us to talk about her new book, the sequel Knit 2, and as part of the promotion they are having a knit-in. Two individuals with yarn stores nearby will be there and we are all supposed to bring size 7 or 8 needles and some yarn. Not sure exactly what we'll be knitting, but it will be donated with the pieces put together and auctioned off for funds for breast cancer research. Beginners to experts are listed as being welcome. I'm planning on going with my mother, and my friend wants to go too, but figured a bit of basic knitting knowledge might be beneficial before hand, hence the knitting lesson.

After she left, I got down to some stitching, and I made some good headway on Joyful Summer.

While we don't have sun today, it is fairly bright out, so for a change I could get a fairly good picture. I so love the colors on this, it is just so cheerful.

The night before I had my last finish for 2008, I finished another cat mat for the animal shelter. This was a fun one to do as I liked how the coloring worked. Variegated yarns are so great, you just keep going and it does all the work of changing colors. As with the others, it measures 20x28. I did this one using Bernat Berella "4" afghan yarn in Fresh Lilac and I'd definitely use this yarn again, it was great to work with.

The other thing I got done yesterday was the final kitting of my new SAL, which I'm doing with my DSIL. I got the fabric pulled, cut, put on Q-snaps and the center marked. Here's how it looked to start and here's how it looks after spending a bit of time on it putting in my first stitches of 2009. Not a lot done, but at that time of night (just after midnight) I didn't want to do to much as then I'd just be frogging it back out the next morning. All the good luck frogs I have in my stitching area don't save me from mistakes when I stitch when I'm to tired. I'm doing this on Lakeside Linens 32 ct Lentil. The pictures really don't show the subtle shading. Over all it is a light tan, but the mottling gives it just a hint of a greenish cast in some areas and a rusty cast in others. If you click on the picture showing the start with the stitching you can sort of see the coloring in the fabric. I think this should look great with the overall Halloween colors of the piece. Kim is doing a different one by Blue Ribbon Designs, but as both of ours have the same number of squares, it should work out well.

21 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger Kylie said...

    I think I might start posting pics of my WIP's. It's really nice to see yours!

    I totally agree with the bad luck wnen stitching while sleepy! I hate taking out mistakes then next day when I'm saying "What the...??"

    Happy New Year to you and may you have many happy stitches!! :)

     
  • At 2:18 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    The cat mat is purrty! (Sorry, I just had to) I love the colors. I agree, the variegated yarns are great to work with, the yarn changing it's own colors and all.
    Joyful Summer is moving along nicely. I still love all those summery colors in it. I am def. going to have to do that one!
    Happy New Year!
    I can 't wait to see your progress on the SAL.

     
  • At 5:24 PM , Blogger mainely stitching said...

    Oh, Lentil is a great color. One of my favorites!

    Wishing you a very happy new year!

     
  • At 5:59 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Looks like a good start! Do you always put fabric under your snaps? Does it help keep the fabric pulled tighter?

    If it does, I may have to give that a try.

     
  • At 7:07 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    I love the fabbie that you are doing Joy on. It is so nice and bright. Your start on BRD looks good too.

     
  • At 8:02 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    Happy New Year!!!! Cute pet blanket!!! Love the colors in it!

     
  • At 11:59 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Great start! What is the cat mat?
    Donna

     
  • At 3:57 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Joyful summer looks great! Wishing you a healthy and happy new year!

     
  • At 4:46 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Happy New Year Sue!

     
  • At 6:18 AM , Blogger mrsfroggie1970 said...

    I need to post more pics of my WIPs too. I love Joyful Summer - it is very true to its name!

     
  • At 7:35 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Happy new year!
    I love the cat mat, the variegation worked really well there. And Joyful Summer looks great as always.

    I hope you have a safe, stress free and crafty 2009. :)

     
  • At 9:14 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    Great progress on Joyful!! It's such a pretty piece.
    Love your latest cat mat! Great colors!

     
  • At 11:40 AM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Not much more to go on Joyous summer I love the colours!

    Great new start and Happy New Year!

     
  • At 9:03 AM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Happy New Year to you!

    Joyful Summer is so pretty to see at this time of year :)

    The knitting/author event sounds interesting and your kitty mat is lovely.

    I know what you mean about stitching whilst tired, I can't do it, too many frogs! Your start looks great though:)

     
  • At 6:57 PM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    Joy is looking great and you will soon have your first finish of 2009.

    May I take this opportunity to wish you and your family a happy New Year.

     
  • At 7:30 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    Happy New Year! Glad you had a good time teaching your friend to knit. It's always fun sharing our "talents" :) Your WIP looks great... The fabric looks really pretty.

     
  • At 10:25 AM , Blogger Danielle said...

    Joyful Summer looks fantastic! This one is definitely on my wish list. I love the colors and the little birds!

     
  • At 3:26 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    How funny, I picked up Joyful Summer as a wip that I really want to finish soon .. you are much further along than I am :)

    Sounds like you are having fun knitting! I still haven't finished her book .. I'd better hurry!

     
  • At 3:29 PM , Blogger Milly~ said...

    Joyful Summer is coming along great! Love the cat mat.

     
  • At 4:02 PM , Blogger Felicity said...

    Hi Sue. Happy New Year. I hope that 2009 turns out to be the best year, so far. Your 'Joy' is gorgeous.

     
  • At 1:45 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    That would be SO cool! I saw that book the other day. I can't wait to hear about it :o)

    Great start and your JS will be done very soon I see!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home