Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Thursday, November 27, 2008

A little of this and a little of that

Let's see, where to start. First off I've been tagged by Kim for the six random things so here goes
The rules are as follows:
1. Link to the person who tagged you.
2. Post the rules on your blog.
3. Write six random things about yourself.
4. Tag six people at the end of your post.
5. Let each person know that they have been tagged by leaving a comment on their blog.
6. Let the tagger know your entry is up.

Now the 6 random things about myself:
1. Like Kim I also love it warm, up in the 80's, so I'm not sure why I'm still here in Michigan. One of these days I need to consider moving somewhere warmer like Florida or Arizona.
2. I dislike traveling, but one place that really tempts me to visit sometime is Ireland, the pictures I've seen of it look beautiful, and I love Celtic music.
3. I like frogs and have quite a collection scattered around. I even have a set where it looks like a royal court with all the frogs dressed up like the King, Queen, Jester, etc...
4. I rarely seem to stitch for the season or holiday that we are currently in. I was doing Snow Ho Ho this summer and now it is winter and I'm working on Joyful Summer.
5. When I was little, like most kids at various times, I'd threaten that I was going to run away and join the circus. Now I can actually say my DD did run off and join the circus. While she loves it, timing might have been better if she'd done it before spending four years at college and getting a degree totally in something else, LOL.
6. I love watching old movies, the ones with Doris Day, Rock Hudson, Cary Grant, Audrey Hepburn, Katherine Hepburn, etc.. they are one of my favorite ways to spend an evening. In fact, a Christmas tradition for my DD and me is to watch Barbara Stanwyck in Christmas in Connecticut, what a great movie.

I tag the following:
Lynn
Lizzy
Vonna
Wendy
Noreen
Cathey

Ladies, this one has been around a bit, but I didn't see it recently on your blogs so hopefully I haven't tagged you when you've already been tagged.

Next, Hazel asked how I was making the cat mats. They are so easy. I just make sure the yarn is machine washable and dryable and then chain stitches (since mine are crochet rather than knitted) to reach 20 inches. While I've done some in a single crochet, most are in double crochet. I then just go back and forth until it is 28 inches long. If was knitted, I'd cast on enough stitches to reach 20 inches, and then just keep doing rows to reach the 28 inches. No thinking or pattern to follow, just making a big rectangle. The size 20x28 is what the humane society by me likes, as that size approximates the cage size, so fits nice and snug in the area. However, they'll take them larger or smaller. If you're doing it for a shelter near you, you might want to call and ask if they have a preferred size. The knitted or crochet mats are soft and warm for the cats and kittens, and make the cages look more homey and friendly, and the cats more cared for. The mats look so much more appealing than a towel in the bottom of the cage. They are nice for me too, as it gives me something to work on in the evening when I'm to tired to focus on anything, I enjoy it, and the cost is tax deductible as an added benefit as it is donated to the humane society, it's a win win combination. With that said, I just finished my seventh mat. I love the variegated yarns, they make a nice design and no extra work is required by me.

I also got in a little work on Joy, although not much. Unfortunately the coloring isn't as good on this as my earlier picture in my last entry, it is a little washed out looking. However, while we are lucky enough not to have snow today for traveling, not much sun either so this is scanned in. I'm at about the half way point now. I have some time off for the Thanksgiving holiday, so I'm hoping to make a bit more headway this weekend.

Well I'm off to enjoy a bit of the leftover Thanksgiving meal desserts. To all my U.S readers, hope you're all having a safe and delicious holiday as well.

20 Comments:

  • At 7:10 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

    JOY is beautiful. I love the colors.

     
  • At 10:05 PM , Blogger Anna van Schurman said...

    I'm pretty sure Christmas in Connecticut is Barbara Stanwyck. Another fabulous old broad.

    Happy Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 11:29 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    Great progress on JOY and congrats on another pretty kitty mat!

    Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful!

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too. Love the cat mat and the Joy is comming alone nice.

     
  • At 9:48 AM , Blogger Doris said...

    Happy Thanksgiving to you too

     
  • At 10:50 AM , Blogger stitcherw said...

    Anna you're quite right, it is Barbara Stanwyck. I was thinking one thing and typing another. Thanks for noticing so I could correct it in case someone wants to look it up. :)
    Sue

     
  • At 2:02 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Happy Thanksgiving!

    Lovely kitty blankie and Joy is coming along great too!

     
  • At 7:32 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Thanks for the tag Sue but I did that one awhile ago :o)

    Those mats are so nice. I wish I could knit them up for our SPCA.

    Your CCN is really coming along nicely. I find it hard to get good pictures this time of year.

     
  • At 10:34 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    Joy is in such happy colors, I love it!
    I had a customer today who came in to take advantage of our sale on dog beds. ($4.099 each for the smaller ones) She bought five! I asked her if she had five dogs or was putting one in each room for her dog and she told me that she was buying them for our local humane society. I then of course, had to tell her what you were up to and she encouraged me to do the same...so off I go to do some cat mats. Thanks for the giving idea! I will crochet mine since I am sure they would like to get some in this century and I am an extremely slow knitter. Happy Thanksgiving...a tad late!

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger mainely stitching said...

    Oh, those cat mats are cool. I wonder if I can untie my fingers from the yarn enough to try it? ;0

     
  • At 8:25 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

    CNN is looking great!

     
  • At 10:24 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Summer Joy is beautiful! I love teh way the variegated floss changes colors thru out it. Are the WDW or GAST? And that cat mat you showed is really pretty! You are really cranking these things out! Just goes to show that crochet is faster than knitting. Your shelter is going to be SO happy!

     
  • At 11:14 AM , Blogger Dani - tkdchick said...

    Joy is so colourful! Happy Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 3:54 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Joy is looking gorgeous!

     
  • At 5:06 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    That is so funny about the Circus and your DD.

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger Paisley said...

    Your cat mats are the neatest thing! I bet the kitties love them!

    Summer Joy is looking great!

    Enjoy your turkey leftovers! We ate at my BF's parent's house so none for us... :-(

     
  • At 9:24 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hey Sue!!

    I've been catching up on your blog
    and I showed Phoebe the cat mats
    that you've been stitching for
    the shelter and she was very
    impressed. A cat can't have too
    many blankets to snuggle into, or
    so she claims.

    This is such a great idea, and
    I've never heard of it before.
    Our local Humane Society is
    always looking for old towels
    and such for their animals, but
    these are a great idea. The
    variegated brown blanket is
    exceptionally pretty with its
    layers of colour.

    I had to laugh when I saw that
    you were stitching Joy, and
    mentioned how you can never
    match your project to the
    current season. I guess I have
    that problem too since I've got
    two Halloween projects on the go
    and no end in sight for either
    of them. Oh well.

    Your Lizzie Kate double flip-its
    look amazing framed. Your framer
    did a great job and you made a
    great choice in frame style and
    colour. You must feel so proud
    seeing it hung in your living
    room.

    We're having a mix of snow and
    freezing rain right now, and
    will have to wait until tomorrow
    morning to see what kind of
    drive we'll be facing to get to
    work.

    I can't say that I love hot
    temperatures but I definitely
    don't like cold temperatures
    and especially not icy walking
    and driving conditions.

    Ah....Cary Grant!! Sigh!!!!!
    They don't make 'em like that
    anymore. I love old movies
    too. My favourites range from
    Meet Me In St Louis, to Singing
    in the Rain to Laura to Cheaper
    by the Dozen to His Girl Friday
    to.....oh, and I adore Myrna Loy!
    And James Stewart, and Katherine
    Hepburn and....

    I should go now...g'night!

    Cheers!!

     
  • At 8:02 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Great tag reading! I always seem to stitch off-season too. I haven't seen that Christmas movie - I'll have to search this one out.

     
  • At 2:14 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    JOY is really looking beautiful. I have this one as well and hope to stitch it this spring. The colours are just so cheerful!
    Hope you had a super Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 9:41 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Hey, stop by to see my answers to the meme!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home