Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Two finishes

One smaller finish and one different finish for this week. Work is still slightly crazy, but seems to be settling down some. However, didn't want a project that I had to focus too much on in the evening, and after my larger LK doubleflips wanted to have a finish that occurred just a bit quicker. So after a bit of digging around in my stash I pulled out an older Pine Mountain pillow kit. This is really a beginners kit with its simple design and large count fabric, but I fell in love with it when I first saw it. I think the little ladybug is just so bright and cheery. Unfortunately it isn't to good of a picture, weather and lighting just didn't want to cooperate today.

My next project was a cat mat for the local humane society. Being done in single crochet, except for the double crochet edge, it was also a pretty mindless piece. In size it measures 20x28. A while back I was in Michaels and they had some yarn on clearance. There were a couple of skeins of this in the bin, and at $1 each I couldn't pass them up. Again, weather and lighting didn't cooperate for a good picture, in reality the mat is a bright Christmas red. I think it will look quite festive when the shelter has its holiday open houses. I also picked up some of the yarn in green and blue, so there will be some more of these turning up later. It was fun to do, and I enjoyed knowing I was making something that will help keep an animal warm and comfortable, and look bright and cheerful when people go to the shelter to look around. All my pets have been shelter animals or strays, so it was nice to find another way to help them out.

Thanks for all the complements on Ghouls Night Out, it was a fun piece. Veronica asked if it was done on opalescent fabric, it was. The fabric is a lovely sparkly blue, however it was done to long ago for me to remember exactly what fabric I used. However, I believe it was the recommended fabric for the piece.

Well I'm off to try and get up a bit more Halloween decorations. I have fun decorating for this holiday, however, I have quite a ways to go before I'll be able to catch up with Tammy she's made an awesome start on her decorations this year. If you get a minute, check out her fun decorations and adorable Shephard's Bush pieces.

17 Comments:

  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    You've been busy. The little cat mat looks great. I cannot believe you are done already. I'm sure a little furry one will greatly appreciate it, especially as it gets colder.

     
  • At 3:58 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Hope work settles down so you can enjoy more stitching time.

    I haven't stitched much this past week either. Just seems like the "autumn crazies" have hit my life.

    Maybe next week it will be quieter. LOL

    Cute finishes. I'm sure some kitty will love snuggling up with a new blanket.

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Great to hear from you - and I really like what you've been working on. :D

     
  • At 6:41 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Sweet ladybug, I can see why you like it so much! And how wonderful to be making kitty mats for the local shelter! Its a lovely idea and that colour will look great for the Christmas season.

     
  • At 8:47 PM , Blogger Cindy F. said...

    The ladybug pillow is just too cute! I love it!
    And the cat mat....what a sweet and wonderful thing for you to do! and what a wonderful idea. I'll check with our local humane society and inquire how I can help.
    Thanks for inspiring:)

     
  • At 11:16 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Very nice on the cat mat!!! Yes it does look very nice and bright and hopefully it will just whisper to a person to take home the kitty on it!!!

     
  • At 6:35 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    What a cute little finish!

     
  • At 9:46 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    There is going to be a lucky shelter cat out there, thanks to you. (I know that is kind of an oxymoron with lucky and shelter in the same sentence) But that mat will draw the attention of a person who will take that cat home and give it the love it deserves!
    Love the little Lady Bug pillow...so cute!

     
  • At 12:12 AM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Don't you so hate when work gets in the way of stitching?

    I love the ladybug- it is darling!

     
  • At 3:40 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    I love the cat crochet mat. I didn't know you could do that and it's just great.
    We're trying to find the courage to go to the local shelter and give 15 kgs of dog food that we still have here... We've been said that it's just heartbreaking...
    My cats were found; and we bought our dog. I don't know if I would dare take a dog from a shelter, unless he were very young. I would if I had no children though...
    My DD is a terrible pain with dogs ,and she behaves in a way that would drive dogs crazy, running around and shouting "don't touch me, you stink" and all... I don't know where she got that from: she's been like that with our Jam from the beginning...
    Glad that things are settling down a bit at work. That will give you more time -may be for Xmas stitching?
    Hugs,
    Lili

     
  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    My you have been a busy lady.

     
  • At 3:09 PM , Blogger Tammy said...

    Aw, thanks for the mention! Your ladybug piece is so cute! Sometimes, you just have to go with what calls you, don't you? It looks great. The kitty mat is adorable too!

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Even if it was a beginner's piece, it's still cute :o) I can see why you stitched it.

    The cat blankets are a super idea! Great work.

     
  • At 12:30 PM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Cute finish and love the mindless mat...LOL it's great.

     
  • At 9:40 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Great finish! xx

     
  • At 1:52 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Oh, how wonderful is your mat for the shelter... Some poor wee kitty is going to be sooo lucky! It's just heartbreaking for me every time I go by there... I just can't go in without tearing up.

    I decided a couple of weeks ago I was going to finally give in to my desire for another black kitty... So, on the 10th of October and trying to do a good deed, I went over to the Humane Society and lucky me, they had a few wee black kitties... I wanted a baby, so I picked one out... Long hair and green eyes, just what I wanted... he seemed okay, however he started getting sick that night... and by Sat morning he was really coughing and his breathing wasn't great... our Vet was out of town, so no emergency visit... I took him to the Vet straight away Monday morning... but he was sooo sick and it was just too late... They kept him there and then called me that evening to let me know he had passed over the Rainbow Bridge... I was sooo upset. I had doctored him all weekend and carried him around in my arms... loving him as much as possible... willing him to get well... it just didn't work. Well, anyway, the lovely folks at my Vets found another black kitten for me that very day and called the lady and told her I would be over the next day to choose one... she has loads of them out at her barn! I found another wee black kitten and he looks just like the poor wee first one I had... and Mr Darcy is sooo adorable and full of life and I love him to bits! :-)

    Sorry for rambling so, sweety... your good deed just brought it all to mind and I knew you would understand! :-)

    Cute Pine Mountain finish as well! Every now and again it feels so good to do something comforting and mindless!

    Sending you lots of Love and {{{Hugs}}}

     
  • At 5:38 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    The ladybug finish is CUTE!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home