Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Lovely Weekend

A lovely weekend is what I've had so far. Yes we've had plenty of rain, but most of my time has been inside so it hasn't bothered me. I got a little stitching done during the week on My Needle and My Floss, but not much. However, that ended Friday night. My DSIL Kim came up Friday night and stayed till Sat. afternoon. My nephews are spending the weekend with my parents, so Kim came and stayed too for awhile. We were able to get in about 3 hours on Friday night, and then about 5 hours more on Sat. morning before she headed home. Kim made good progress on the LK Doubleflips we are doing as a SAL, and I got quite a bit done on My Needle. This has moved along fairly easily with making color changes until I got to the lettering. I had initially picked out several different shades of variegated blues for the wording that I liked, but each one I'd try, I couldn't get the rt that goes into her dress to stand out. Part of the problem is the dress is such a deep blue. I needed the lettering to be quite light to show up against it, but if I wasn't careful, when the variation changed in other letters, it was so light that it didn't stand out on the cream fabric. I finally decided I needed a totally different color for contrast, and with Kim's help decided on this golden brown (it is one of the DMC variegations). It is nothing like I'd originally envisioned, but I'm liking it more and more as I get more letters done, I think it compliments her well. For the hearts I have two shades of rose picked out, and hopefully those will work when I get to them. Other than two of the white tones used in the stitching fabric, apron, and lace edge of the dress, I've changed all the colors in this, and that has been quite a challenge for me, very much out of my comfort zone. However, I'm glad I've made the attempt, as I still LOVE the blue I used for the dress.

In addition to our stitching, Kim gave me a lovely birthday surprise. I love Stitch (the Disney character) but I've never seen any clothing with Stitch on it. I have several stuffed Stitch's, including a tiny one that hangs on my stitching basket (appropriate don't you think, LOL). My other Disney character I love is Tigger, and have some stuffed ones of him as well as tee shirts/sweatshirt. Somewhere Kim found a website with Disney licensed characters and was able to get a sweatshirt made for me with him on it. It is great, and will be such fun to wear, especially at Camp Stitchalot next year. In addition, she got me the pattern WingDings by Blue Ribbon Designs. So now I have WingDings to go with my Six Bats and a Witch pattern by Blue Ribbon. I still haven't gotten around to getting my camera fixed (I'm such a procrastinator on occasion), but once it is I'll post a picture of my lovely sweatshirt, Stitch is just so cute.

The other fun thing I've done this weekend was on Sat. afternoon I went to see Mama Mia. It was fantastic. I laughed and hummed along with so many of the songs. It is a totally fun movie that I'd enjoy going back and seeing again. I'd seen the stage play last year, and so had an idea of what the movie would be like, and Meryl Streep didn't disappoint, she can really sing.

As a side note, in the picture in my earlier post of the cute raccoon in my tree, Lynn asked me if I'd realized there were two raccoons in the tree. I hadn't. I clicked on the picture to make it a bit bigger, and sure enough, there are two little guys up in that tree. One about a third of the way up on the same tree leaning to the right, and the second (easier to see one) a little over halfway up leaning to the left. The lower one is the one I saw when I was taking the picture with Jaz, I never saw the one further up. No wonder Jaz was so excited, she thought she was going to have two possible playmates, LOL. So if you want a kind of "where's waldo" hunt, go back and see if you can spot the second raccoon in last weeks posting. :)

24 Comments:

  • At 6:36 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    I spy with my little eye, the other raccoon.
    I use to be out of my comfort zone too with changing colors, now I think about it everytime, lol.
    I like Blue Ribbon Designs and can't wait to see that sweatshirt

     
  • At 6:58 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I spy the second raccoon too, but it took me a little bit to find him.

    Can't wait to see the Stitch sweatshirt. I'm a big fan of Stitch too.

     
  • At 8:29 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

    It may pay to invest in a Quilter's Color Wheel. There are small ones that are not too expensive or you can look at free color wheels on the web (but it might be harder to match threads to colors on your monitor). They can help a lot when trying to choose colors. For embedded colors, you can go two ways -- complementary colors (so an orange as a complement to blue) or shades and tints (a very light blue as a tint of dark blue). Obviously when lettering crosses from dark to light backgrounds, a complementary color will work better for both rather than a shade or tint. There is a bit of orange/gold in brown you chose, so, yes, it does look very nice. Can't wait to see this finished.

     
  • At 2:17 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    Great progress on the traveling pattern. I like what you have done so far.
    As for that picture of the racoon(s)...it took my tired old eyes a while before I saw the second one. What a neat surprize. Good dog, Jaz!

     
  • At 6:09 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    It sounds like you have had a fantastic weekend:)

    Your LHN is coming along beautifully. I like the colour changes.

     
  • At 6:45 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    You have made nice progress on this one. I like the color change. I will be giving awards away this evening or tomarrow. Check my blog as I think you are getting one.

     
  • At 2:15 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    She's stitching up quickly!

     
  • At 3:16 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I'm really liking this project. You've picked out some really nice colors that compliment well. I can't wait to see it finished! And the way you are going on it, it wont be that long.

    And I can't believe you saw Mama Mia! I was this close to seeing it on Friday but never did go. It's funny how we seem to be very similar in our movie tastes.

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Your colour choices look great! It sounds like to had a great stitching weekend with your DSIL :)

    Perhaps we swapped weather, we had some sun this weekend?

    Happy Birthday - I missed that!

    Lynn sure has good eyesight it took me a while to find the second little chap :)

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Blogger Mylene said...

    I like the colours you have used for the travelling pattern and you have made a great progress of it.

    I am looking forward to see Mama Mia as my daughter booked us to go thursday evening.

     
  • At 4:08 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    I had the same trouble with those letters!!

     
  • At 4:28 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    What a nice weekend for you and lovely stitching as well.
    I must say I had to go back to the photo to see the #2 raccoon and there he is the little devil!

     
  • At 7:18 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    It took me a minute but, I found the other racoon too!

    Stitch is my favorite Disney character (Cute & Fluffy!) :) my kitten Stitch isn't named for my cross stithing hobby she is name for the little blue guy. :) I'd love to see a picture of your sweatshirt.

     
  • At 9:42 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Lovely progress on this well loved chart. I really like the blue you chose for the dress too, but when it comes to blue I'm rather biased. :) I used to really worry about changing colours in charts, but now I do it all the time. It's a great way to make a stitch really 'yours'.

     
  • At 9:50 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    She's really coming to life :o) I have problems picking out different colors than what's called for but I think you've done just fine so far.

    The girls and I are talking about going to see Mamma Mia. I just can't get the song out of my head ;o) LOL!

    I LOVE Stitch as well :o) I bought a t-shirt years ago with him on it and it says something like Cranky When Irritated. LOL! It comes in quite handy. I've never been able to find another thing with him on it.

    Btw, did I miss your birthday????

     
  • At 9:55 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Hey, check out my blog to receive your award. Thanks

     
  • At 6:07 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

    Your progress is looking great! That was so sweet of your DSIL Kim.

     
  • At 11:15 AM , Blogger Mary Ann said...

    It sounds like a lovely weekend, and your stitching progress looks great!

     
  • At 11:25 AM , Blogger vEr0n!c@ said...

    I love the colour you pick for the dress. If I ever get to stitch this design, I just might go with blue as well.

    By the way, I've nominated you for a blog award over on my blog ^.^

     
  • At 5:45 PM , Anonymous monique said...

    Nice progress! Would you please toss my name into your hat for this pattern? I've been trying since it started LOL

     
  • At 9:29 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    The dress looks great! It's fun to change colors-though challenging at times.

     
  • At 3:08 AM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    Hi Belated happy Birthday!!!

    I saw the raccoons. They are so cute in pics. But I don't find them cute at all when they rummage through the garbage in the parks. LOL

    Great wip pic.

    I have awarded you on my blog. Please check it out Thanks! =)

     
  • At 3:32 AM , Anonymous Sachiko said...

    Beautiful progress!
    I have nominated you for Kreativ Blogger on my blog!

     
  • At 11:27 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Do I get a prize, Lol! I found the second racoon!
    I like the colour that you decided on for the lettering. It works well. Glad you didn't change the colour of that skirt, it's beautiful. You've made great progress.
    So when's your birthday? Hope it's a good one!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home