Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Two down and a Long Time coming finish

Well I have two done, words that is, with 10 more to go on my Lizzie Kate Doubleflip series. I've finished up Dream and Love (you'll have to overlook the wrinkles) So far I'm still loving the looks of this, and for the most part I'm enjoying stitching it. I'm doing it on the recommended 32 ct. Lambswool, which does seem to be softening up as I stitch more. The overdyes are showing nicely too, especially in the green heart. Where I'm having the trouble is aligning the different squares. Normally with a pattern you have the parts above and below that you can count from. However, as all the words are on different cards, I'm trying to work with the general placement graph but it doesn't show the details. I like to have lots of points to count off of to try and check my placement, but this series, since it was originally set up separately, doesn't have them all one place and lined up to look at. It took me forever to get comfortable with where I was starting Love relative to Dream, and not being able to check that the O and and V were where they should be to the design under Dream drove me nuts. Oh well, it all worked out, and hopefully Remember will go a little easier. This is the new SAL I'm doing with my DSIL Kim. We stitch at about the same pace, so make good SAL partners.

As mentioned in my earlier post my parents just celebrated their 50th anniversary. For quite awhile my DSIL Kim and I have been working on a special SAL for them, actually a number of years. It took a while as we only recently moved fairly close to each other (about an hour now). We didn't want to trust our piece to the mail, so always hand delivered it to each other when we'd be together. Needless to say, with life, kids, and jobs, we weren't always ready to transfer it back when we'd meet up. Also if my parents were around, we couldn't always get it done easily either. However, we stuck to it, and got it finished and framed in time for their anniversary. The piece we chose was Creativity by Just Nan (picture is clickable) This isn't as good a picture as I'd have liked, but I forgot to get a picture before it was framed, and framed under glass doesn't photograph that well. Quite a while ago I showed a tiny piece (a little mouse) of a mystery piece I was working on, this was that piece.

The saying on this is so sweet, and along with the cats (my parents have always had cats) perfect for them. Kim and I divided the bands between us, my brother stitched the cats in the cat band, and each of the three grandchildren (my daughter and my two nephews) each sewed on one of the dragonfly charms. It was a work of love that all of us were able to contribute to. They have it hanging up already, and seemed to be thrilled with both the design, and appreciative of all the time and love that went into selecting it and stitching it for them.

While a busy time at work, I've managed to squeeze in three movies (one each weekend). Once my DD moved I pretty much just rented movies, or watched ones I already had, as none of my friends were very big on movies. However, found out my neighbor loves movies, so now I have a movie buddy. I've seen the new Indiania Jones one (really enjoyed, but the first one and Crusade are still my favorites), Kung Fu Panda (very cute), and WALL-E (fun, and I loved the underlying message it gave). There are several others either out already or coming out that I want to see. It's going to be a busy summer.

Well off to do some more yard work before it rains again. Hope you all have a great weekend.

26 Comments:

  • At 9:04 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

    Great finish, and I love the L*K! I'm stitching on 32ct lambswool for my "Witching for Stitching" RR. It IS awfully stiff isn't it? I am hoping it won't drive the other members of the RR mad :)

     
  • At 10:28 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    That piece that you and the rest of your family did for your parents is gorgeous! I'm sure they really appreciate it. There's a lot of love in each stitch!
    Thank you for your comment. I am hoping that the weather will cooperate and let the firefighters get the fires out for good. It will be beneficial for all of us here in NorCal. I'll tell ya, it's been a bugger breathing! And I just got over Walking Pneumonia! So far, I have only had to usemy inhaler once. (Keeping my fingers crossed)
    Keep upi the good stitching! I hope your fourth is quiet, as I am hoping for myself!

     
  • At 11:05 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    Your family project stitched as
    a gift for your parent's 50th
    anniversary turned out wonderfully!
    I'm sure they were delighted with
    it.

    The Lizzie Kate sayings seem to
    be very popular with everyone.
    But it must be annoying and
    frustrating trying to get each
    one properly aligned. Have you
    seen the new Christmas themed
    design??

    I have a movie buddy too. My DH
    doesn't bother much with movies
    in the theatre, so going with my
    friend is a good arrangement.
    As a matter of fact, we're due
    for another movie weekend soon.

    Hope you have a great Fourth of
    July holiday. Cheers!

     
  • At 5:09 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

    Your Lizzie Kate is looking great. Lovely colours used.,

    Gift for your parents anniversary look fantastic. Everyone did a great job.
    Enjoy the summer holidays.

    Here just started, 6 weeks off school with the kids.

     
  • At 7:39 AM , Blogger Ginnie said...

    I love the stitching you did for your parents, what a great idea getting everyone to stitch a bit.
    I've seen the Indiana Jones film too, I agree that it was good but can't compare to the others.

     
  • At 8:42 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

    You've made a great start on your L*K piece. I'm thinking of doing the Christmas one that just came out.

    I'm glad to hear you've found a movie buddy. There are so many good films coming out this summer. DH and I have been trying to go lately. We've seen Prince Caspian, and Indiania Jones (which was fun since some of it was filmed not 15 min from where I live), We are going to see Hancock on Thursday this week then maybe Wall-E on Saturday since Things are to busy around here to see it this weekend.

     
  • At 9:13 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    The LK piece looks nice. Love the anniversary piece for your parents. What a neat idea to have family members work on it. :)

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Hooray!! :D That is such a gorgeous finish!

    The Lizzie Kate is adorable. :D

     
  • At 10:11 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    Regarding the centering -- if each word was centered equidistant to the border wouldn't it also be centered to the word above?

    The piece you stitched for your inlaws is beautiful. I love how everyone got to do some of the work. I'm sure your inlaws will be very touched by your work.

    I want to see WALL-E. I'm glad you gave it a good review.

     
  • At 10:17 AM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    That is so beautiful and I can well appreciate the work and love that went into such a special piece. I am sure your parents will treasure this above all things.

     
  • At 2:13 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    The LK piece is looking good! I'm glad to hear Wal-E is good. I've been waiting for Zac to get back in town to see it.

     
  • At 3:13 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I really like the L*K you are working on. VERY nice! and the project you did for your parents 50th is gorgeous! Esp considering more than one person worked on it.

    I love movies too, but I tend to see them more on the small screen than the big these days. However we did see Wall-E and I agree, this was a good movie.

     
  • At 6:16 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Your Lizzie Kate piece looks good. It looks like it's lined up correctly. Pretty piece you stitched for your parents ;)

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    You all did a great job on the gift for your parent's. Love how the WIP is comming along.

     
  • At 6:16 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    That's looking wonderful Sue :o) I heard the same thing from someone else stitching this project. Hopefully it gets easier now.

    What a treasured piece you all have created for your parents! That is something that will definitely be treasured :o)

    I really want to see WALL-E. We might hit the cinemas in the next few days if it's going to be as hot and humid as they say :oS

     
  • At 8:57 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    I love these double flips! The colours are so pretty!

    Creativity is stunning! What a gorgeous anniversary piece.

     
  • At 2:46 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    Your L*K is looking great. I'm stitching them too, on banding. I'm about 1/2 way done and I'm off on a couple of words. I get frustrated too with lining them up, so I finally just did a running stitch down the center and see if that helps.

    I adore your anniversary piece! How special that you all stitched on it.

    We are big movie people too. I go and see chick flicks with a couple of my gf's and the rest with DH .. and somethings a chick flick with him, he likes them! lol We saw Wall-E last night .. really enjoyed it :)

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Sachiko said...

    Congrats!lovely finish.

    The present for your parents whom you chose is wonderful designs!!

     
  • At 1:02 AM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Lovely gift for your parents!

    Here's my tip for lining up the double-flips... there are two stitches or four threads between the bottom most point on the previous word and the top most point on the part you're starting.

    Also after finishing a word and before starting the next I get a pin and mark the center of the word I just finished, count down four threads from the lowest point at the middle and always start from the middle of the next word. Just remember that other parts of the word might be higher so you need to account for those stitches as well.

    Did I make sense????

     
  • At 2:39 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Your parents anniversary gift is beautiful! What a milestone. Congrats to them and congrats to you and Kim on the finish. Your LK piece is looking good.

     
  • At 9:55 AM , Blogger Mary Ann said...

    The JN family project for your parents' wedding anniversary is beautiful, and has such special meaning!!

    And the Doubleflips piece is looking wonderful!

     
  • At 6:33 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Love the band sampler, how cool to have your brother stitch on it too!
    Donna

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Your anniversary project is a wonderful gift and sure to be cherished by your parents! Congrats to them on their 50th anniversary! I love how each family member has had their hand in creating it.

    Great start on the L*K series. I have it ready to start too, my daughter 'ordered' it for Christmas LOL!

     
  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Hi Sue~
    You are a winner - of the Sisterhood of the Travelling Pattern!!! Congratulations and please e-mail me. Have a wonderful July 4th holiday!

     
  • At 5:00 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Gorgeous stitching there Sue. xx

     
  • At 11:02 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    What a beautiful work of love for your parents' anniversary! I think it's great that everyone had a hand in the making.
    You've made a good start to your doubleflips. I've seen this one done by a number of people and really admire it.
    Congrats on your win of the Sisterhood pattern!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home