Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, June 15, 2008

Pirates, Clowns, and a Finish

I can't believe all that has been going on since my last post. It has been a wild couple of weeks. This is kind of a long post, so if you just want to see my stitching finish, you can scroll down to the end.

First off I was able to take some vacation time to visit my DD. The circus won't be in MI this year, so I needed to figure out where else I could meet up with her to visit. The closest location she was at, with a time I could take off, was in PA. So, off to Wilkes Barre, PA I went. I left on a Wed., and drove about 10 hours. I had found a motel that was close to the arena she was playing at, but didn't realize what a great location it was until I got there. It was about 5 min. from the arena one way, and about 7 from where her train was at going the other. I was able to shuttle between the two easily. The theme for her tour this year is Over The Top.

We had a great time. I was able to spend part of Wed. evening and part of Thurs. with her. Friday we spent the day as she only had one show in the evening. Fri. evening I was able to see the show from the lighting booth where she works. It was fun seeing the show, and interesting to see how she coordinates the various spotlights, timing them to fade in and out and such, during the show. She doesn't do the lights, but she calls the cues for the people on the lights to follow. Time went by way to fast, and then it was Sat. morning and time to drive back home.

Then, I went crazy at work trying to catch up from being gone, and getting ready to leave again. I had Mon. - Thurs. to work, as I had Friday and all of last week off also. Friday I spent getting ready, as on Sat. morning we took off for a Cruise. My parents are celebrating their 50th anniversary this year, and to celebrate they wanted to take the whole family on a cruise. Unfortunately my DD couldn't get time off, but me, my brother, my DSIL, my two nephews, and my parents all went on a Disney cruise. Here's a picture of the ship that was our home away from home.
The two postcards show the ship, the Disney Wonder, much better than I could have (it was huge).

We flew to Orlando on Sat. and spent the night there, then took the Disney shuttle to the ship on Sun. to start the cruise. We did the 4 day cruise, with two stops at Disney's private island, Castaway Cay, and one stop at Nassau. I wasn't sure how being on the ship would agree with me, as I get motion sickness very easily, but I did ok. I took a Bonine each night, and wore my sea bands whenever we weren't on land. There was only once where I felt a bit ill, but an extra dose of Dramamine settled that. There was so much to see and do on the ship, and off, that we couldn't do it all. Which is probably the point, so that you'll want to come back. Each night Disney put on a wonderful production. We saw two original musicals, Toy Story and Dreams, a juggling/comedy act, and a musical called Golden Mickeys.

The Golden Mickey's highlighted some of the major Disney movies. Here are some pictures from that one. No flash photography was allowed, so they are a bit dark, and most of the ones I tried to get didn't turn out, but this gives you a feel for the theater and style. Toy Story and Dreams, the ones I don't have pictures of, especially were Broadway quality.



The next day we went to Disney's Island Castaway Cay. The weather was perfect and we had a fantastic time. We even splurged and had a massage in the open air cabanas. What a treat. Here are several shots of the one side of the island. The one boat shown is the Flying Dutchman that was used in several places in the Disney Pirates of the Caribbean film (as was the beach areas).



The picture of the Dutchman is from the back (from the ship), which is why you can see the cut out area. From the front, it looked like the full ship did in the movie. I would have had more pictures from the cruise (other shows, Nassau, etc..) but my camera decided it didn't want to work anymore at that point. :(
Oh well, everyone else took lots of pictures, so I can get some of theirs. While we were on Nassau we did the Dolphin encounter trip, where we got to get in the water with a dolphin and even get a kiss from it. When we went back to Castaway Cay, we went on the Glass Bottom Boat and saw lots of lovely fish, and I even learned how to snorkel (which is much more tiring on the legs than it looks). All to soon it was over and we were headed home. We docked on Thurs. and flew home on Fri.

While part of this weekend was spent getting everything in order to go back to work on Monday, a good part of yesterday was spent cleaning my yard up. While we were gone some really bad storms went through. At times it is unclear if it was just really strong winds (70+ mph) or an actual tornado (depends on who you ask) but there was a lot of damage in our area. The storm hit last Sun. and when we came home on Fri. there were still about 300+ people with no power. While most roads were open, most parks are closed due to tree damage. The golf course not to far from me lost over 100 trees. Lots of uprooted trees, downed limbs, broken fences, etc... on my block. Quite an unexpected site to come home to. Luckily I didn't have any damage, but cleaning up all the tree branches and stuff that came down took several hours, and since I'd been gone I also needed to mow. My neighbors were such sweeties, they moved the biggest limbs out of my front yard for me to ensure they were picked up by the city, and so it wasn't so obvious I was away from home.

And finally, my stitching finish. There was so much to do on the cruise, not as much stitching got done as I would have thought. However I made enough progress on the last of Schoolgirl Lessons by Little House Needleworks that I was able to finish up the last little bit last night. So here it is (and for a change I managed to get a good picture of it with the colors pretty accurate). This was such fun to do, and with it being a single color, a really relaxing stitch. I love the blue silk, Mer Bleu, that I used, so soft, a real treat to stitch with. It even was finished by the SAL ending date, which was today, talk about cutting it close.

Well, if you've managed to hang in here this long thanks, I know it was a very wordy posting. Hope you've all been well, and I'll be catching up on everything you've been doing this coming week. With being off the computer for two weeks, I have A LOT to catch up on.

25 Comments:

  • At 9:21 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Wow! You've had a whirlwind couple of weeks. Glad you got to visit with your daughter.

    The Disney Cruise looks like fun!

     
  • At 12:54 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

    Glad to hear you had a great time with the Disney Cruise.
    Sorry to hear about the mess though.
    Your LHN finish looks great in blue.

     
  • At 1:33 AM , Anonymous Miss 376 said...

    The stitching in just the one colour is very efective, looks beautiful. How lovely to have such good neighbours

     
  • At 3:09 AM , Blogger Chiloe said...

    What a great trip you had !!! It's wonderful ;)

     
  • At 5:05 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    I'm so glad that you got to spend some time with your daughter, and that cruise sounds divine (even if your DD couldn't make it). What gorgeous sights to see! Your stitching is very pretty, and I love that blue!

     
  • At 4:50 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Sounds like you had a fantastic two weeks.
    LHN looks great.

     
  • At 10:30 PM , Blogger Sachiko said...

    Congratulations! for your parents 50th anniversary !!!
    Disney Cruise is looks very happy!
    I like Johnny Depp of "PIRATES OF THE CARIBBEAN"!So enviable!!

     
  • At 6:17 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    It looks and sounds like you had a fantastic time!

    Lovely finish. I love the blue you stitched it in.

     
  • At 12:15 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    You have been a busy gal! I'm glad you got to spend some time with DD. The trip sounds amazing!

     
  • At 5:08 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    What an incredible trip!! I've always wondered what the Disney cruises were like. How lovely that your parents wanted to celebrate their anniversary with the family this way. I'm sure it made for some great memories.

    Time with your daughter too!! It must have been great seeing her at work and spending precious time with her.

    Schoolgirl Lessons looks great. Those blues are so pretty!

     
  • At 5:57 PM , Blogger Becky K in OK said...

    I love SLs in blues. Great stitch!

     
  • At 7:22 PM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    Looks like you had a great time with both the senior and the younger generations of your family.

     
  • At 12:39 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Amazing photo's! Your finish is lovely. Congrats.

     
  • At 3:02 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Wow what a crazy couple of weeks! It must have been so nice to see your DD, esp in action. And how much fun does that cruise look! Its on our list of things to do. We've seen it in person, but we haven't been on it yet. Good to know that you didn't get sick, that is one of my fears.....

    And your stitching looks great!

     
  • At 8:50 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Wow, sounds like you had a blast! Visiting your DD at the circus must have been a real experience. It sounds like she has a really interesting job.

    I've always wanted to go on a Disney cruise! Shame your camera died on you, but you did get some good pics.

    And with all that going on, nice finish too! :)

    Thanks for all your comments on my blog. I've become quite fond of making boxes. :) And Autumn Dragon is certainly the most complicated stitch so far, and one of the largest I've done. I've never done a project with blending filament, braid and different sized beads before!

     
  • At 9:59 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Wow, you have been busy! Glad you got to see your daughter. Circus life must be cool. Traveling everwhere and all. I'd love to take a cruise someday. Lots of great pictures. Stitching is looking wonderful, sorry to hear about the down limbs and all.
    See ya!
    Donna

     
  • At 4:51 AM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    Hi Sue, You asked about Gigi on my blog.

    The name of this piece is actually "how does your Garden Grow" which got shortened to GG (garden grow) and it is by Papillon Creations which is based in France so GG became Gigi lol. Yvonne the designer thought it a very appropriate name.

    This design is a freebie done over 13 months. It can be done in speciality stitches or it can be done in plain cross stitch. There are two cross stitch versions, one using 2 colours and one using 6. All the versions look lovely and can be seen at the Gallery of Papillon Creations

    http://www.papillon-creations.com/welcome_frame.htm

    All you have to do to take part is put your name down to receive the monthly news letter. All the parts for all three versions are still available from newsletter corner. Hope that helps

     
  • At 5:16 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Wow !! You had a very busy two weeks. Great that you got to visit your DD and the cruise sounds like much fun. Sounds like you picked a good time to get away from home but glad most is ok with the storms and all. Thanks for the comments on my work and stopping by. TTFN

     
  • At 8:25 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    Don't you just love cruising?? Although you and your family were
    probably on a bigger boat then we
    were. We went to Alaska about 11
    years ago and our cruise line was
    Holland America. What a wonderful
    way to travel.

    The pictures of the Disney owned
    island were breathtaking. All
    that wonderful blue sky and water.
    And what fun to see the ship from
    Pirates of the Caribbean. I would
    have loved the musical shows put
    on at night. I love musicals.

    Your visit with your daughter
    sounds like it was a great time too. Imagine getting to see the circus from behind the scenes.

    Too bad you had to come home from
    your cruise to find the neighbourhood in such a mess from
    that storm. Thank goodness there
    wasn't too much damage to your
    yard and house. It seems like
    there's lots of bad weather happening around North America
    this spring. What do you do with
    your animals when you're away like
    that??? Do you board Jaz for the duration?

    Love your finish on School Girl Lessons! It looks wonderful stitched in the blue silk.

    Cheers

     
  • At 9:34 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    Sounds like the few weeks you were gone were a blast. I especially like that you got to spend time with your daughter and got to see what she does and all that goes with it.
    That cruise sounds like it was fun. What a nice way to celebrate with your parents, and how nice of them to take you all along!
    I'm hoping I get a little relief this Mon.,Tues. Some of the things that are goingon witll be resolved, but more even worse stuff happened, to replace the things that get fixed. PLUS, my washer is out now along with the dryer and a very clogged drain...What else can go wrong?!? Ph well, I am alive and well and so are members of my family!
    I hope you are all rested now from your vacations! It was good to hear from you!

     
  • At 10:32 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    Glad you had a great visit with your DD and a good time on your Disney Cruise. I love Disney World!

     
  • At 4:45 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Oh My what a wonderful trip!!
    LHN is a pretty finish

     
  • At 10:52 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Wow, wow, wow! You've had an exciting time :o) Seeing your DD must have been so much fun and to see her work must have been fantastic!

    A cruise! And a Disney one to boot! I would have love to have seen Castaway Cay. It all looks and sounds so neat :o)

    Congrats on your finish! It really looks lovely and I agree, that blue is just gorgeous :o)

     
  • At 2:38 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Too funny - W-B is my hometown!!! And I'm really only about 1.5 hours away from there now.

     
  • At 11:12 AM , Blogger Lucy said...

    Beautiful pics and stitching!!!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home