Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, May 03, 2008

Two new starts, and some pictures from Philly

My first new start is for a SAL with the Little House Needleworks group. I'm doing Schoolgirl Lessons on 32 ct. Belfast Linen, not sure of the color, and using Crescent Colours Belle Soie in Mer Bleu. This picture really doesn't do the beautiful blue color justice, hopefully my next picture will be more true to the color it is in real life. This is the first time I've used the silks by Crescent Colours and they are wonderful. So soft and plush, they just glide through the material.

Here is what it will look like finished. The other thing, besides the silks, I'm really enjoying on this piece is that it is all one color, so I can just sit and stitch and not worry about changing threads all the time, very relaxing.

My second new start is the new Lizzie Kate Double Flips series. This one I'm doing with the Weeks Dye works and Sampler threads on 32 ct. Lambswool linen. You've all probably seen what it will look like done, as so many bloggers seem to be working on this lately, but in case you haven't here it is. This is such an unusual piece for me, not my normal style at all. However, I fell in love with the colors and the wonderful words, they really do convey some great ideas to live by. I'm not to thrilled with the fabric though, it seems quite stiff and even scratchy. I've been told that the manufacturer uses quite a bit of sizing to ensure consistent size and count in measuring and that it should get softer as I work on it more. Or, I could try washing it to remove some of the sizing. I may try to do that, being careful not to get the very top wet where my stitching is as I won't want it to run, which overdyes are prone to do.

Have any of you worked with the lambswool before? What did you do? Do you think that it does really soften up as the piece progresses? This piece I'm doing as a SAL with my DSIL. We tend to stitch at about the same pace, so it will be fun to have the company. With so many people starting it much earlier in the year, I think most other stitchers will be done long before we are.

My DD is still with the circus and having so much fun traveling around and seeing so much of the country. Her latest stop was in Philadelphia. I don't know how we'd keep in touch without our cell phones, as her hours are quite different from mine so actually talking is difficult. However, we send each other text messages all the time, and I get great pictures from the places she's at. We love the fact she can take a picture on her cell phone and send it to my phone, I can see what she's seeing at that time. It sure helps in feeling like we are staying connected even though she's so far away most times and I rarely actually see her.Then I can forward her pictures from my cell phone to my email and can share them with family and friends and such. So many times new technology drives me crazy trying to learn it, but in this case I think it's wonderful.

She really tries to take advantage of the opportunities to sight see and explore the various places she's in, travel is after all why she joined the circus. While in Philly she made a point of seeing a number of places, including the Liberty Bell (you can even see the crack)

A museum with a Star Wars theme going on, I love the Darth Vader they painted on the steps (all pictures are clickable, but if you click this one you can see Darth Vader even clearer)
She even tracked down the steps that they used in the movie Rocky and made a point to run up them.
She's a big movie buff, in her travels she also made a point of going to see the Brooklyn Bridge, with the main reason being she'd seen it destroyed in so many movies she wanted to see it in real life.

Midnight continues to hold her own, moving around a little more, and with a little more interest in things. However, not much interest in eating. She'll munch a little kibble now and then, but mostly only interested in baby food. She loves the turkey flavor. Sure feels funny to be back in the store buying baby food, when my baby is now almost 25.

24 Comments:

  • At 11:52 AM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Hey! just love the two new starts. I have stitched a wee little design on lambs wool and it did soften up. But on a bigger one like LK I don't know what I would do. I am glad your DD is having a wonferful career and still gets to see things many others dont have the opportunity to see. I do hope midnight keeps doing well.
    Have a super saturday!

     
  • At 1:48 PM , Anonymous monique said...

    I like that blue you're using on the LHN. That linen does soften up quit a bit usually, and it's sure a pretty color!

    Hugs for Midnight :)

     
  • At 2:14 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Two lovely new pieces :)

    Great photos too!

    I'm not sure I've worked with lambswool before, but I do have some stiff fabric in my stash, hope you'll let us know what you decide to do.

    Sending positive thoughts to midnight too :)

     
  • At 6:14 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Thank you for sharing your daughter's pictures. I always look forward to hearing how she's doing. And your stitching progress is great. :D

     
  • At 8:12 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Both pieces you are working on are BEAUTIFUL. I love the blue you chose for the first one.

    I did a project on lambswool, but don't remember it being scratchy. Maybe mine did soften up.

    In regards to your comments on my blog: The sandhill cranes were over on the local college campus. I have had them fly over my house, but not land in the yard (yet! LOL)

     
  • At 11:43 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I'e seen that LK one adn it is cute! I also like your house, prefer the blue you are using to the red.

    How cool that you are able to see the pics that your dd can take while traveling. I often think abt her being gone for so long and you not seeing her that much. But she is happy so the mom makes due, right?

     
  • At 6:05 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Both your new starts are lovely. I can't wait to see your progress on both.

    Your daughter's photos are lovely. I'm so pleased she's having a great time.

    Keeping my finger's crossed that Midnight continues to do well.

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Anonymous June said...

    Great news about Midnight. :D I'm so glad that she's improving with every day that passes.

    Love your two new starts - I have ordered Schoolgirl Lessons and can't wait to get my hands on it! :) The Double-Flip series is very pretty and I'm looking forward to seeing this grow.

    Your daughter is with a circus!?! Wow, how exciting! I bet she doesn't have one boring moment in her day.

     
  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    Lol! Your daughter's funny! Love the picture of her doing the Rocky thing. I would love to see that Star Wars exhibit, although in truth I'm more of a Trekie.

    Congratulations on your finish of Waxing Moons Snow Ho Ho. I really like this design and yours looks fantastic. Very rich colours, which I love.

    It's amazing the number of people who are stitching the Lizzie Kate double flip it right now. That design has really struck a cord with a lot of stitchers. Hope you and your DSIL both enjoy stitching it.

    I'll be ready to start something new soon, but I've still got Daisy to finish from Cottage Garden and I really should get back to it.

    Love the blue silk you're stitching
    Schoolgirl Lessons with. I look forward to stitching this one and using Silk thread for the first time.

    Hope that the material you're stitching the Lizzie Kate design on does indeed soften up and become nicer to work with. I prefer working with a softer material too.

    I hope Midnight continues to improve and regains her appetite.

    Cheers

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger Nicole said...

    Great starts!! I love the Mer Bleu for Schoolgirl Lessons! You are making me rethink my choice, which is the called for silk (forget the color right now).

     
  • At 9:56 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    Thank you so much for your kind and supportive comment! It makes me feel good that I can say what I want (of course, within reason!) and be given some support.
    You seem to be very busy these days! I love your new starts! I so want to get back into stitching, but lately I pace too much to be sitting quietly relaxing and stitching!

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Yuko said...

    Your LHN in blue looks very beautiful already!
    Although you think that the photo doesn't show the true clour justice, I think it's beautiful!!
    I'm looking forward to seeing the next photo!

     
  • At 9:34 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    Awesome new starts - I am hoping to afford those Double Flips some day too... love 'em!

     
  • At 6:23 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Your new starts looks great. Personally, I hate lambswool, because it is so stiff ;)

     
  • At 12:38 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

    Very good start on both projects.

    Thanks for for visiting my blog and the lovely comments.

     
  • At 7:42 AM , Blogger Myrna said...

    Love your start on Schoolgirl Lessons! I haven't even started yet.

    I love to stitch on Lambswool... and it does tend to soften up. :-)

    (((Hugs)))

     
  • At 8:37 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    I'd love to stitch the Double flips for my nieces. I think it would look lovely in their rooms and it's just such good advice! I'll get to it eventually, I am sure.

    I just stitched a piece on lambswool jobelan and I loved it. The fabric was quite soft and a pleasure to stitch on, so maybe it's just a fabric type difference. Try a piece of jobelan - I don't think you'll be disappointed!

    The museum with the Star Wars exhibit is the Franklin Institute - I've been there many times over the years and it's a really cool museum.

     
  • At 11:38 AM , Blogger Margaret said...

    Great new starts Sue. I agree sometimes it is a welcome change to stitch something monochromatic and not worry about all those color changes.

    Glad to hear all is well with DD and that she is enjoying her life with the circus.

     
  • At 10:09 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I love the colour you have chosen for your LHN piece. I'm more partial to blues myself.
    The LK looks like such a fun stitch. I've been watching a number of fellow stitchers working on this one.
    The pictures from Philly are really good. I'm a Star Wars fan and would love to see that museum!

     
  • At 11:38 PM , Blogger Sachiko said...

    You chosen thread's color(Shoolgirl Lessons) is very beautiful!And Lizzie Kate of another start is very lovely desgin!

    Gorgeous bell!

     
  • At 6:26 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Love your new start and the colour you have chosen!
    Another blogger stitching these LK words! I love these and am so tempted everytime i see it on someones blog :)

     
  • At 3:43 AM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    Sounds like your DD is having great fun and storing up lots of memories for the future.

     
  • At 8:20 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Great starts - I have both of these lined up to do. I know what you mean by the scratchy fabric, we are spoiled by Zweigart's lovely soft fabrics. I think it does become a little softer as you work with it, I have never tried pre-washing it to see if that would work though. But I do love the lambswool colour. Country French linen is a very similar colour to it, but nice to hold and use.

    Great pics that you daughter shared with you!

     
  • At 8:40 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Love the LHN colour you aer using. Have fun witht the LK flipit - it looks like a fun stitch. x

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home