Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Monday, May 26, 2008

Progress and eggs

While not as far along as I'd like, Schoolgirl Lessons has moved forward a bit. This turned out a bit darker than it really is (coloring in the earlier post from using the scanner is more accurate on the fabric) but since this was taken with my camera the picture is clickable, so the lovely shading in the blues can be seen more easily. With only about a quarter of it left now I'm hopeful of having it done by the end of the SAL. I thought the SAL ended the end of this month. However, it actually ends June 15, so it should be doable.

Since I don't have much stitching to show off, I'll show off my new toy. I'm not much of a cook anymore, preferring to make what I can nuke in the microwave and what is quick. Therefore, frozen foods that can be microwaved are quite big on my list. Things that take a while to cook, or things I'm going to feel like I need to cook a lot of to justify, just don't get made. One of the things I haven't made lately and I love are hard boiled eggs. Ok, I hear most of you laughing saying those aren't hard. I agree, but, they do take time (20 minutes plus) and if I'm going to heat a bunch of water and use the stove to cook that long I feel I need to make quite a few. Since I'm the only one that wants to eat them, I don't really need a lot. However, this weekend I was out shopping and found this really neat new toy, it is a Egg Boiler for the Microwave by Nordic Ware. It looks just like an egg and works wonderfully. To make my eggs I just open it up into its three parts like this The bottom of the egg I fill with water to the fill line. Then I put the metal middle back in, which has 4 little indents to put eggs in. I can cook just 1 or up to 4 eggs.
Once the eggs are in, I snap the top back on, put it in the microwave, and cook for 10 minutes. Let it cool for 2 minutes and I have eggs. Much quicker (and I think less energy) than the old way. Also, especially in the summer it will be nice not to have the extra heat in the house that running the stove for that amount of time would give. And if I get sidetracked and forget them, the microwave turns off by itself, I don't have to worry about boiling the pot dry. I used it for the first time yesterday and made a couple and it worked wonderful. Eggs were done, easy to peel, and are now gone, guess I need to make some more for lunch tomorrow.

Today is Memorial Day so I have the day off. It looks like it is going to be a lovely day. We had storms last night, which was good as we needed the rain. However, it is nice and sunny now. Hope you all have a good day too.

17 Comments:

  • At 9:48 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    Cool new toy. We have an egg cooker, but it plugs in to the wall.

    We got it as a wedding gift and at the time I thought it was a really stupid thing to have. WRONG! We use it ... A LOT!

     
  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Great progress, love the blue you chose for this piece, it's perfect.

    I've never seen one of those egg cookers before, what a great idea!

    (PS I hope your dog hasn't bought you any more presents? Our cat has been very generous of late and I want it stop!) :)

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Schoolgirl Lessons... the fabric AND floss you chose. Gorgeous! Oh sweetie, you don't know how I appreciate you continueing to post to my dead blog to let me know you're thinking of me. I ran into some really bad stuff and couldn't even stitch and became pretty depressed, but other things were going on that kept me from posting to my blog and the LH/CC list. I've kept up with reading posts though. If you don't mind, please just send me your email address so I can explain a bit at nancysbs@consolidated.net. I've missed you so much. I'm doing well now and need to catch up with everything. I had to send a msg. to Milly and let her know I needed some assistance from her and/or Diane. Sounds mysterious, but it really isn't. I just feel I need to explain something before I post to the list.

     
  • At 4:17 AM , Blogger Mylene said...

    Your WIP is coming along great. I do love the colour you are using.

    That is sure a great idea with egg cooker, haven't seen that kind around here in europe yet.

     
  • At 9:57 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    Pretty progress - it's a great fiber choice

     
  • At 10:26 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Nice progress on your LHN.

    I've never seen one of those micorwave egg cookers before. What a great idea.

     
  • At 1:05 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Hi Sue, I forgot to mention the link to the Beatrix Potter Quaker Sampler. It's a reproduction of the original Ackworth sampler. http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180246882156&ssPageName=ADME:B:EOIBSA:UK:11

     
  • At 9:09 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Schoolgirl Lessons uses the most beautiful blue floss. I love colours like that. The large photo also shows off your lovely stitches!

     
  • At 5:01 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    ddThat egg boiler is a great idea!

    Your LHN looks great. I love that blue!

     
  • At 5:51 AM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Schoolgirl Lessons looks great and I love the egg cooker ;)

     
  • At 8:16 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Schoolgirl Lessons is coming along wonderfully!

    Love the egg cooker - I'm terrible about putting eggs on to cook and forgetting about them.

     
  • At 10:47 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    ROFL! LOVE IT SUE! You sound like you want things done the quick way and I'm the same ;o)

    I think your SL looks wonderful and I'm sure you'll get it done. It's hard finding the time with the nicer weather.

     
  • At 2:22 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Your stitching is coming along nicely! and I like that kitchen toy! May have to try it myself! I won't just make a couple at a time either and sometimes they dont get eaten in time....

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    Well, now I have seen everything!! That hard boiled egg contraption for the microwave is something else! Would be great for making deviled eggs for one or two people. Those are my favourites. Course I love eggs done any way at all. Anyways, thanks for the demo.

    Schoolgirl Lessons is looking fabulous, and the more I see of it in the blue the more I love it. Now I want to start stitching it too. Along with the thousand other designs that I want to stitch NOW!!

    So many patterns...so little time!

    Cheers!

     
  • At 9:34 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Those blues are lovely! I'm really enjoying your progress on this one. LK Flips is off to a good start too.

     
  • At 8:13 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

    Cool Toy!

    Great progress. I really like the blue.

     
  • At 10:19 AM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    LHN is coming along nicely. I do love the blues and I think they work well with the fabric. Your egg cooker sure is a neat idea.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home