Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Friday, May 16, 2008

Interesting Mother's Day present and progress

I've had a number of Mother's Days to celebrate since my daughter was born, and in that time I've had quite a number of Mother's Day presents, some of them more lets say unique than others. However, this past Mother's Day I received my oddest one yet. Lets just say sometimes what someone chooses to give you doesn't quite equate to what you'd like to have. In this case I could have done quite well without my gift. The gift in question though did not come from my DD, it was presented to me from one of my four footed and furry children (maybe you now have a vague idea where this is going). Mother's day went very well for me. I talked to my DD, went over to my parents, spent some time with my brother and his family who were also there, and in general had an enjoyable day. Later that evening however it must have occurred to Jaz that she wanted to give me something (needless to say quite a few people have now been informed that next year they can take Jaz shopping for something a little more appropriate, LOL). Here is my angelic looking culprit, now would you think she'd have come up with this creative of a gift? At about 2 am, Jaz decided she needed to go out, so ok, out she goes and in a bit she's ready to come back in. As she's passing by me I look down and see what looks like some grass on the side of her mouth (since she loves to eat grass that's not unusual). So.....I say her name to get her attention so I can get it, at that point she quite happily proceeds to drop a dead mouse at my feet. Ok, I can hear you all going eeeeewwwww, believe me I was doing the same. As I'm doing a crazy fast step to get further away, Jaz is standing there wiggling all over, tail waving madly, and is sooooo pleased with herself she can hardly stand it. Also at this time one cat then another has noticed something interesting is going on and are starting to move our way. So, at that point I am still icked out, Jaz is still wiggling with glee, I'm trying to figure out how I can get the dead mouse off the floor and out the door without touching it and without leaving it as the cats now want to move in and claim it. Chasing a cat through the house to reclaim a dead mouse at 2 am is really not something I want to do. Having a cat steal the mouse and leave it somewhere I can't find and then having it begin to smell is not high on my list either. Finally I managed to get it scooped up and out of the house, all the while avoiding Jaz who is trying to lick my face when I bend down (another eeewww, I know where that mouse was, yuck!!). The cats are now not happy as they didn't get their new toy, Jaz is trying to figure out why I wasn't thrilled with her present, and I just want to calm down so I can go back to sleep. To say it was an interesting experience is an understatement. I so do not understand dogs. Why on earth would you want a mouse in your mouth in the first place, eeewww, and she was just so incredibly pleased with what she brought me. Oh well, they say it's the thought that counts, but even so, I hope next year my Mother's Day is a little quieter. Something from the furbabies that is a lot more boring and less unique will be much appreciated, LOL.

Not a whole lot of stitching has gotten done, at some point I keep saying my life will settle down but it doesn't show signs of slowing in the future. However, I have made some progress. Schoolgirl Lessons now has the house done and part of the tree I still can't get the lovely deep blue of the silks to show, but I'll keep trying. I'm hoping to get some more time in on this during this weekend. The SAL runs through the end of this month, and I'd really like to have it done by then. Lizzie Kate's double flips has also moved forward a bit more just a little bit to go and I'll have the first word finished. Kim has already finished Dream and has a good portion of Love done so I need to get moving to catch up.

Well I'm off to see what all you've been up too. Hope you all had a wonderful Mother's Day and it was a little, ummm, less exciting than mine, LOL.

17 Comments:

  • At 9:45 AM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    How nice of your dog to even think of you on Mother's Day, mine didn't :0). My dog has never brought in a mouse but my cats have.

    Your WIP's look great. I love the blue you chose for Schoolhouse Lessons ;)

     
  • At 10:48 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    ROFL! Oh the mental picture you have place in my head :o) Poor Jazz. I guess she just wanted to be a part of your big day. Someone just needs to teach her the finer points of gift giving ;o) LOL!

    Your projects are coming along nicely and I really DO LOVE that blue silk!

     
  • At 5:32 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    That is SUCH a funny story!! I've never known of a mouse-catching dog!

     
  • At 6:20 PM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    EEEWWWWW Is putting it mialdly. So sorry. Yes !! someone does need to take the doggie shopping next year...LOL Your WIP's are looking good on the other hand.

     
  • At 9:38 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I am surprised Jaz brought in a mouse, but how thoughtful of her to give it to YOU!!!

    In response to your comments:

    I LOVE my new yarn barn. It works GREAT! I am starting to feel better. Time --- it just takes time. The last time I slept for 3 days straight. This time the worst of it was only 1 day. So, that's not bad.

     
  • At 8:41 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

    A dog brining you a mouse. I've never heard of them doing that before. Schoolgirl Lessons is lookin good. I love the blue that you are doing it in. I have it in my stash but, I'll probably be doing mine in the red it calls for - since I already have that color.

     
  • At 10:36 AM , Blogger vEr0n!c@ said...

    Schoolhouse Lessons is coming along real well. Love the blue silk you're using.

    I'm still laughing at your story. Poor Jaz. She must be wondering why you're not ecstatic about her gift. Well, like you said, at least it's the thought that counts ^.^

     
  • At 10:52 AM , Blogger Stitchingranny said...

    Pets can have very strange tastes when it comes to choosing gifts lol.

    Lovely wips.

     
  • At 5:30 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    I've heard of cats doing that but not dogs. Jazz must be around the cats too much! I don't think I'd like the gift either. Great job on your Wip's looks like you are making progress on them.

     
  • At 10:25 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    I know that probably wasn't funny at the time-but I got a good mental picture of that and thought it was hilarious! I probably would have stroked out-I hate mice! Love your projects-especially the blue on schoolgirl lessons.

     
  • At 6:16 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    LOL @ Jazz!!! What a lovely dog to bring you a present for Mother's Day!

    Love your WIPs. I love Schoolgirl Lessons in blue.

     
  • At 5:09 PM , Blogger Mylene said...

    Hope Max wouldn't do that but you'll never know with pets.

    Your WIP's update are coming along great.

    Thanks so much for stopping by at my blog.

     
  • At 7:34 PM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    LOL. That was a funny story. Our cat brings everything inside from dead gophers, to half alive lizards. ewww. He even took a dead bird and left it on my son's crib where he was sleeping couple of days after we came home from the hospital. Ack! Maybe Jaz wanted to gift the mouse to either of your mama cats? LOL But wanted to give you a good time. LOLOL

    Nice start, love the LK piece.

     
  • At 10:51 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    LOL gotta love them furbabies....

     
  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Well I guess it is the thought that counts. The next time it would be much nicer if she would pick a few dandelions and bring those in for you!

    One of our pups one time decided to catch a toad, and he swallowed it whole. You can imagine how shocked we were a minute or so later when the toad decided to make a run for it and came back up, hopping madly away.

     
  • At 9:32 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    OMG, did you ever get back to sleep after all that excitement?! I laughed so much as I read your story although I'm sure you didn't think it was all that funny at the time. I'm not sure what I would have done. My DH is afraid of mice too!

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Blogger Bliss said...

    I love that birthdays have that 'many happy returns' clause! Lucy did the same thing to us a week before we went on vacation, except her capture was a small possum or rat! It was kind of funny (the ha ha) for two reasons - she didn't get it in the door, & just before I left the house, I had said to her that if she wanted to eat more (she's a labrador) I told her that she would have to catch Gypsy the cat or some other feral animal. A dog that listens? Oh my!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home