Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Friday, March 21, 2008

Progress and.....Snow?

Ok, it is past the first day of Spring, it is the end of March, it is almost Easter for pete's sake. So I was really hoping we would not have any more of this.....




These were taken a couple of hours ago, before that all the snow we'd gotten earlier in the week had melted. All together they are saying 4-6 inches for my area, other areas are forecasted for quite a bit more. The temperature has been up around 40 the last week or so too, and it is dropping fast again now. The poor Easter Bunny is going to freeze his little behind off in this weather.

Needless to say, guess who is thrilled with having snow again

This is Jaz in the previous snow as I couldn't get a good one of her in the current one, but she's out there running around and having a grand time.

On the stitching side I've made some more headway on my Cardinal lunch project

This is such a great project for on the go as the counting is so easy, and the bright red is easy to see against the light green of the fabric.

My needle/tool pocket is also coming along nicely. It is a little too long for the scanner now, but all that really got cut off was the flowers that are on the very outside end, which are the same as those on the other corners.

The over 1 section I'm currently working on has been a bit of a challenge. The pattern said to use 1 strand for the backstitched green vine, but didn't say anything about the flowers or numbers. So.. I started those in two strands. After about a dozen stitches I realized that 2 strands over 2 threads on 32 count really doesn't work to well, it is so bulky and I was having a hard time getting my stitches in, so I had to frog them back out. Frogging over 1 stitching is really miserable, it just doesn't want to come out. Luckily I didn't have a whole lot that I had to do or I'd really be frustrated with the project.

I got the frogging done last night, so that I was able to start fresh today. Since I didn't want to be in the snow, I put on a DVD and stitched, and got the flowers, vines, and 2008 put in. All I have left in this section now is "Wrought by" and my initials and then I'll do the pincushion for the center, and then the finishing. I'm hoping to have everything except the finishing part done this weekend.

Barbara, thanks for the suggestion to put white paper behind when I scan a piece, I think the colors came out better using that.

Jennifer, yes the one center part in the cover area and in the two pockets I have in my previous post are a specialty stitch, it is a spiders web. It's a lot of fun, you start with an Algerian eyelet for the base (the spokes) and then weave around them to create a web effect.

I still want to post the fun stash I got earlier, but some is still in the mail as it had to be ordered, so maybe next post I'll have the rest of it and will show off my new goodies.

Hope you all have a lovely holiday, and that the weather wherever you are isn't getting to bad.

22 Comments:

  • At 9:21 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    I remember one year about 14 years ago, GA had a freak snow storm in April, it was crazy. I hope you have a great Easter anyway! Love that red cardinal.
    Donna

     
  • At 10:19 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Urgh I hope we're not getting more! I haven't dared look at the forecast lately.

    Your class piece is looking so lovely!

     
  • At 11:00 PM , Blogger TinaTx said...

    Well, I was going to say thanks for the comment on my blog. Anything you see green in that picture is a weed I'm sure, but I'll take the weeds over that snow any day!

     
  • At 2:21 AM , Blogger Sachiko said...

    Oh!!Spring snow!!Do you cold your live in Michigan?
    In Japan,today is weather of spring.

     
  • At 3:39 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    I can definitely sympathize Sue! We still have a ton of snow and it's been nothing but miserable weather the last few days :o(

    Your cardinal is coming along and so is your needle/pocket tool! You're doing a great job :o)

     
  • At 6:06 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Progress is looking good. You can have all that snow ..LOL

     
  • At 8:43 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    I love snow, but I can surely understand that enough is enough! Who wants snow at Easter??

    Your stitching is great! Love that cardinal project. Glad the white paper tip did the trick. :)

     
  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Your stitching is looking really lovely. Shame the weather hasn't been so lovely though!
    Happy Easter

     
  • At 11:53 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Beautiful WIP progress:)

    Your snow looks lovely. It's forecast for us this weekend but nothing but a few light flurries so far. It's bitterly cold in the high winds though so anything could happen at night fall.

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    The snow sure if pretty though, isn't it?

    It was over 80 degrees here yesterday. I know we're spoiled by our warm weather.

    Enjoy your Easter. Your piece is looking really pretty.

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    This is why the Easter Bunny leaves COLORED eggs so you can see them in the snow! LOL

    Love all the projects and cant wait to see the stash!

     
  • At 6:50 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    The weather just gets curious and curiousier. Canberra had the coldest February (summer) month ever, and then a blistering (35C+) early March. Now we're back down to 15C! I'm glad someone at your place is enjoying the snow. :)

    I really like your needle set thingy. I completely agree with you about frogging over 1 - yeech.

     
  • At 4:26 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    We've got way too much snow where I live also. I'm looking forward to it looking and feeling like spring. Your WIP's look great. I just had to do a fair amount of frogging on my 1/1, terrible ;)

     
  • At 1:41 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    WOW! Look at all that snow. We were supposed to get 6-8" but lucked out with 2-3" on Friday. WHERE is spring?

     
  • At 5:23 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    No fresh snow but bitterly cold here on Easter. Too cold to wear any new spring duds.
    The pocket is coming along so nicely. You've done a great job on it!
    The cardinal is a nice bright piece to work on. It certainly helps when things are so miserable outside!

     
  • At 6:38 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    I wish you could come join me here in sunny CA. Of course, I know you don't want to hear that, but I will tell you, You are welcome to come stay with me awhile and thaw out! (That is if you can stand my crazy house) The furried ones are all welcome too! Although I don't know if Jaz would appreciate the ocean waves as much as she likes the snow.
    I hope your Easter was good. Mine was spent catching up on I guess...much needed sleep!

     
  • At 6:39 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    I meant to tell you haow cute your little cardinal is. I love the needle/tool pocket project too. It looks so delicate.

     
  • At 8:21 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    We had a little more snow too, it was not a welcome sight! Your WIP's look wonderful. Frogging over 1 thread is almost impossible, I'm amazed you were able to get it done.

     
  • At 5:03 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Your stitching is looking great.
    Sorry to hear you had the frog show up. Over one yet. Awkk.

    I'm with you enough already we had snow yesterday...Easter Monday. Now I know it's an early Easter...But....what can I say but enough.

     
  • At 6:04 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Wooo loads of snow. Nice pretty wips too. xx

     
  • At 4:29 PM , Blogger Bliss said...

    Wow! That looks like serious snow. Thanks for stopping by my anniversary site. Your comments were appreciated.

     
  • At 6:28 PM , Blogger Irene said...

    We had some snow this morning, nothing like yours. The cardinal looks great.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home