Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, March 15, 2008

Pockets and Cardinals

With stitching, I'm over half way done on my class piece. However, I'll still have the finishing left after the stitched decoration portion is finished. I made good progress this past week. Here's the first pocket. It just needs the white backstitching around the edge to allow it to be whip stitched during finishing. Here's my second pocket which was only partly done last time. This one does have the edging in so it's ready to be whip stitched to the backing fabric. Finally, here it where I am on the cover piece, one end is done and I've started the middle Not sure why some of the areas are looking dirty in the above pictures, as if some of the flosses have ran. It is clear white in real life, somehow my scanner just doesn't want to take a clean picture of this piece.

As mentioned before, when finished this folds like a notebook, with two sides and a flat middle edge. When closed, all the tools (pin cushion, needle case, laying tool, scissors, etc) are inside and are protected. However, when in use I can reverse the fold direction so that the tools are on the outside and the pin cushion is on the top outside of the shape. Here is a picture off of Stitches 'N Things website showing what it will look like done. The final one for class is actually a little different, as the pincushion is rounder with a round spiderweb stitch decorating each end rather than the flatter pillow style shown here, but other than that its the same.

I'm hoping to have the stitching done by next weekend. However, that will depend on if I get the extra fiber I need. It is done with Caron's waterlilies, a silk that is yummy to work with, but the kit was short on two colors. I can work around the two colors for a bit, but since it is the greens that are short, I'll be stuck soon. I've let Catherine know that the kit didn't have enough, and she's said she'll get more in the mail, so hopefully I get it soon. It is so frustrating to want to work on a piece and not have the fiber you need to stitch it. I'm going to be reallllly close on the yellow that is being used in the center right now too, but hopefully I'll have just enough, otherwise I'll be stuck on that also. Catherine said she recently had to change the designer of the fiber from what she designed it with to the waterlilies, so she had to estimate on how much of the waterlilies was needed compared to the other brand. Most of them she got just fine, but the two greens (and maybe the golden) somehow got off in the translation.

Cardinal my lunch project made a little progress as well
I'll be able to add in some of the little trees in the border soon so the box edge isn't so empty looking. This is a fun one to work on at lunch, easy counting and it moves along quickly.There is a tiny snowflake charm that goes in above the right side of the cardinal to fill in the middle a bit more, but I'll wait on that till the rest is done or I can just see myself snagging it constantly.

No work on Snow Ho Ho this week. I've decided to put him on hold until I finish my stitching pockets. Since that design is done with overdyes where the dye lot can vary, I want to make sure I don' t have any other problems with a color being short while I can still get a little more to finish it and know the dye lot will match.

18 Comments:

  • At 2:06 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your pocket is looking gorgeous. It's going to be stunning when it's finished up:)

    Love the cardinal.

    Oh the fabric I'm using for JN Queen of the Needle is Polstitches Dusky Rose.

     
  • At 2:56 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    Your stitching is looking wonderful as usual. I myself have been frogging a bit on the cover piece, but even without that little mishap would not have enough of the greens. I love the piece but am frustrated with it at the moment.

     
  • At 3:05 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Your stitching is gorgeous - congratulations! Sorry you've run short on a few fibers. Hopefully that will get sorted out fast.

    When I scan a white project, I have to put a piece of plain white paper behind it to prevent that blotchiness. It seems to be the light shining through too brightly or something.

     
  • At 5:41 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Is that a specialty stitch in the middle? It's so cool!

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

    The pocket looks fantastic!:)

    The cardinal is so sweet.

     
  • At 11:22 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    OH those are coming along so well! Very pretty! that is the one thing abt working with kits, I'm always afraid that I'll run short on colors. I'm frugal with my floss (gotta get ONE MORE STITCH out of it!) so most times I am ok, but I have that underlying worry the whole project.

     
  • At 6:04 PM , Blogger Ari_1965 said...

    That's a charming little toolkit idea.

    I love cardinals.

     
  • At 10:08 PM , Blogger Becky K in OK said...

    I'm so far behind in my blog reading. Your pocket blocks are gorgeous. Can't wait to see the finished project.

     
  • At 7:05 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    That will be a neet falt fold when done. Like the progress on the santa and the litle cardinal too.

     
  • At 8:33 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Pretty cardinal! And those pockets are very kewl : ) Will be quite stunning all finished up!!

     
  • At 2:52 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    The stitching pocket is looking fabulous. I cant wait to see it all done up.
    I am loving that cardinal.

     
  • At 10:50 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    That class piece is going to be stunning!

     
  • At 12:24 PM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Sue, this is going to be so pretty!

     
  • At 4:38 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    You've done some beautiful work Sue! That is one gorgeous project you are working on :o)

     
  • At 10:55 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Great work on your needle pocket. This piece is going to be so pretty when it's finished!
    Lovin' that cardinal too!

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Blogger lena-lou said...

    I love the look of the pocket you are doing and going to finish. Fabulous !!

    Have a nice Easter Weekend :)

     
  • At 9:43 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Love that pocket! It's hard to have to wait on fibers. I know, I'm waiting on floss myself to send along with my rr!
    Donna

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    What's the name of the pocket you're doing? I went to look at it on S&T website, but couldn't find it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home