Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Goals and WIP's

I've never had a knitted dishcloth before, but I'm loving using the one I just finished, I wish I'd discovered them sooner. The feel of the sugar and cream yarn when I was knitting wasn't as nice as other yarns I'd felt, so I wondered how I'd like it. However, it really feels nice when washing the dishes. The patterns in the booklet I have are really easy to follow even with my little experience, and there are quite a few designs, so I should have enough to keep busy for a while. One thing I may look at though is an easy design (not a animal or flower pattern) to use for a second one with the yarn I just finished the frog with. That would let me use the last of the cream speckled yarn (I have plenty for a second cloth) and probably have it show a little better. Maybe a block or rib type pattern? Any suggestions on an easy one that might look good with that yarn from those of you who knit?

Hopefully the goals I set are general enough I can do them with just a little pushing of myself. While I'd like to have one more finish than in 2007, I'm only targeting including two larger size ones in the mix. In 2007 I had 4 that I would consider larger, so I'm adding 1 more finish (any size) but losing 2 larger finishes. Gingerbread House is now about 3/4 done, and I'd consider that a larger size (at least for me). Hopefully by Jan 15 (the SAL ending date), or at the latest Jan. 30, I'll have it done and only need one other larger finish for the year. Here's my current progress on Gingerbread Cottage by Country Cottage Needleworks.

So far the only change I've made is I stitched the cupcakes on the side in the slightly darker brown rather than the lighter brown the body of the house is done in. Since they are smaller I thought the lighter brown might not show very well. I like the way it made them "pop" a little more, and transitions a little from the light brown of the house to the darker brown of the Gingerbread Men. I'm not quite sure on the wording yet though. The letters seem to be getting a little lost. I'll wait until I get the borders in on the top and bottom to see if it stands out better then, but I may need to change that to a slightly darker color.

The bigger challenge will probably be pushing myself to work on Flower Dragons




and Trick or Treat Mice by Lori Birmingham



I do have a decent start on Trick or Treat it just never gets worked on (even thought ahead to do the backstitching as I went since is a good size piece, figured it I didn't it would never get done). I took it to stitch camp one year several years ago and worked on it almost exclusively all weekend. Even when I started getting a nasty headache I kept at it. Being on the black aida didn't help, and by the end of the weekend I had a really nasty migraine. I think the memory of feeling so ill the last time I worked on it influences my wanting to pick it up again. That is one of the reasons I moved it from the scroll frame to the Q'snaps, hoping to change the memory and association a bit.

Hope you all had a fun and safe New Year's Eve. I had a quiet one, and as you can see watched it snow. We got about 8 inches. Less than many places, but still enough to be messy. However, at the moment it is still looking fresh and clean and pretty.

And as you can see, Jaz is enjoying having new fluffy snow to play in

We'll I'm off now to try and shovel out (the drawback to all that pretty new snow). However, at least it isn't to terribly cold at the moment, and I don't have to work until tomorrow so I didn't have to drive in it.

26 Comments:

  • At 1:06 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    I've not knitted a dishcloth before so I'm afraid I can't offer any advice there. Gingerbread house is looking lovely! Good luck with your WIPS, good idea to do the backstitching as you go along it's not my fav either. The snow looks very pretty in the photos, hope it's not too hard to clear a path!

     
  • At 2:30 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    I really like your new dish cloth. Especially the speckles of colour throughout. I don't knit myself, but these look like they'd be fun to do. Perhaps I should take a few basic lessons from my Mom and see what happens.

    Gingerbread Cottage is such a pretty stitch. The colours are so sweet, which is probably the whole point of the design really.

    I love the Lori Birmingham piece too. I've heard that stitching on dark coloured fabric is a real pain, but it sure does make the colours of the design pop! This is a cute one too. Hang in there Sue, because I think this will be so pretty when it's done.

    Loved the pictures of Jaz in the snow. She's clearly having a wonderful time there. I guess with her thick coat she doesn't feel the cold, lucky thing.

    Congrats on the Garfield finish. I agree with his morning philosophy totally! Lol!

    Warmest best wishes to you and your family for the New Year Sue.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

    Happy New Year! You managed to meet a lot of goals last year! Go you!

    I'm so happy to see Garfield with eyes! lol. I've been looking forward to that for ages. Yay for backstitch!

    Thanks for all the snow pics too. Here in Scotland we've normally had more than our fair share by now, but this last couple of years we've had barely a flake. You don't miss it until it's not there and I'm even missing the wet slushy stuff, lol.

    That's a brilliant dishcloth. I'm a knitter but I've never tried one of those before. My knitting goal for this year is to try some felting with my knitting. Maybe a bag or slippers.

    I've kept my goals small, to give me a fighting chance of meeting them, heheh.

     
  • At 3:43 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    http://yarnfamily.com/blog1/2007/09/06/anne-guy-cloth-in-pink-dishcloth-pattern/

    Anne's Cloth is really pretty and an easy knit.

     
  • At 4:25 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Did you get a pattern included with the yarn? I remember mine came with a very simple pattern (simple enough because even I could do it). LOL!

    Your GH is darling! I like the change you made with the cupcakes. I can't wait to see this one done. I have it in my stash to do :o)

    I hope you're not getting this next storm :o( I'm sick of snow now. Sigh. Our dogs love the snow too and Duncan would rather eat snow than drink water. Go figure...

    All the best in 2008 and I'll be there to encourage you throughout the year ;o)

     
  • At 5:13 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    Shovelling... How does your poor back like it? I think I'll stop complaining about the absent snow...
    I didn't know that this was to clean the dishes, I figured out that it was to take hot dishes from the oven and wondered how it could work! Lol!!! Silly I am! I think it's a great idea and I wish I could still knit...
    I would make a very simple pattern: like a triangle for a Xmas tree and a trunk for instance, that sort of thing. Or a sort of gameboard, may be. Anything geometrical would do. A house made of a square and a triangle, with small suares for the windows too. You have many choices... Oh, I miss knitting...

    Flower dragons sure is a challenge... Trick or treat mice are very cute, but the black fabric would put me off too... Why not accept that some projects just are bound to become ufos and that's it?
    You're doing a wonderful job on the Gingerbread house, your changes look great. It's in my stash so I appreciate that you point out things like that, you see...
    I'll just finish this small comment wishing you a nice 2008, filled with love and harmony.
    Take care,
    Lili

     
  • At 7:06 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Sue- Thanks so much for the several comments you've made on my blog since September, it means a lot to me.

    I love your Gingerbread House, it's so cute. And so is Trick of Treat Mice, especially on the black background. And I hope you'll get more done on Flower Dragon, I love that design. That will be a fun one to watch grow.

    Happy 2008 ;)

     
  • At 9:58 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Gingerbread House is so pretty! I love the colours. You've really moved along quickly on this one.
    Sorry I can't help with the dishcloth pattern. I'm not a knitter. I've tried several times but my tension is just too tight and I get frustrated.
    Flower dragons is such a lovely piece. It should be easier to get into as spring approaches.
    As for TOT mice, it's one of my favourites. I saw this one a few years ago and fell in love with it then. It's just too cute!

     
  • At 11:25 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Omgosh! Look at all the snow! I'd like it for about 2 to 3 days I think. I would not like to shovel though. Have to make my boys do that! haha
    Hope you have a great year!
    Donna

     
  • At 11:26 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

    Gingerbread Cottage looks so adorable. I've seen it finished - it is a sweet piece.
    I've never seen Trick or Treat Mice before and love it.
    Jaz seems to love the snow and will be a great help shovelling.
    Wishing you and all your loved ones a Healthy and Happy 2008

     
  • At 3:32 AM , OpenID mymarkdesigns said...

    I have crocheted dishcloths, using a solid double crochet... can't help with the knitting version, though.

    Congrats on the Garfield finish! Your Gingerbread cottage is looking great, and the WIP of the trick or treating is really cute :)

    Happy New Year!

     
  • At 8:36 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    I've only used the knit patterns from the yarn wrappers, so I'm afraid I can't offer up any useful advice.

    Your Gingerbread House looks lovely! The LHN designs are so pretty, I started one for my Jan 1st start!

    And that's a lot of snow, more than we have right now. But I'm happy not to have to shovel it :-D

     
  • At 10:35 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Gingerbread Cottage is absolutely gorgeous. I just love the colours and the fabric you're using is perfect.

    Jaz looks like she's having a great time in the snow. Can I come and live near you so I can have some snow? LOL!

     
  • At 4:53 AM , Blogger Chiloe said...

    Well, thanks to you I fell in love again today: tricks or treats mice !!! I have to have that one desesperatly , of course !!! lol Like is I craving any more stash ... lol

     
  • At 5:36 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    I really like gingerbread house! Might have to stitch it in 08!
    I love looking at the snow pictures but im glad we dont have any. The UK comes to a standstill at even the slightest bit of snow!!

     
  • At 5:52 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    I like both WIP they ar comming around.Good luck with your 2008 goals

     
  • At 6:58 AM , Blogger Sachiko said...

    Wow! Flower Dragons design is beautiful!!

     
  • At 9:48 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    Happy New Year Sue! I sure can relate to that snow!!

     
  • At 3:15 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Love the pic of Jaz in the snow, and I think you did a great job by making the cupcakes a little darker than the house. They do 'pop' much better. :)

     
  • At 11:38 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Gingerbread Cottege looks great! I love the Trick or Treat Mice:)

     
  • At 7:38 PM , Blogger Sachiko said...

    Hi Sue,

    I seen your photo album.Your 2007 finished stitches are so great!!

     
  • At 6:38 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I really like all your projects you have going, esp the fabric to the project. The mice are adorable!! And smart idea to back stitch as you go, will make finishing it up much easier.

     
  • At 6:33 AM , Blogger Solstitches said...

    I love your Gingerbread Cottage. What a fun pice this must be to stitch.
    I've knitted since being a little girl but never made a dishcloth - must try one.
    Good luck with your 2008 goals.

    Margaret

     
  • At 12:12 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Hi There I haven't visited for awhile so I want to wish you all the best in 2008.
    I love those dish cloths my mother keeps me supplied..
    I have a dog named Jazz [big and black]as well and she makes snow angels in the snow...Well she thinks they're snow angels..She is on her back!
    Our snow has all melted and we are dealing with fog and thunder. Go figure. Jan Thaw!
    Stitch with happy fingers Sue.

     
  • At 2:05 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    Your WIPs look good, Sue. Hard to believe temps here were in the 60's this past week and now almost all the snow has melted, and that there was a tornado! It's early, though... We'll probably get more snow. :(

     
  • At 11:50 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Best of luck getting those projects done in 2008!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home