Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, January 19, 2008

Framing and a new start

I finally got out to look at frames for Gingerbread Cottage, and think I really lucked out. I found not only a frame, but a stock double cut mat at JoAnns, and I had coupons too. The coloring is much better in real life, as I couldn't get as good a picture as I'd have liked. This shows the frame pretty well, but the coloring on the stitching is off. My last entry had a picture much closer to how it really looks. The lettering especially in this one gets lost, but at least overall you can see how it finished up. I hadn't thought about the mat color combination of green and pink until I saw it and thought I'd just try it next to Gingerbread Cottage, just to see how it looked. I was surprised how much I liked it. The pink seems to bring out the lettering, and the green goes well with the trees and ivy. I managed to frame it for about $18, which I think was an excellent deal. I'm glad I got it done when I did, as it is now up and can be enjoyed. It's only January, and there is a fair bit of winter left, so I'll be able to enjoy it for awhile.

However, with finishing Gingerbread Cottage I needed another small project to work on. While at JoAnns I also found a lovely three aperture frame. It is off white and came with a double mat already. The coloring will go perfect with the two Little House Designs I finished earlier, Strawberries and Acorns. However, I needed a third design for the third opening so I started Cherries, another of the Little House Needleworks Threadpacks. The original design was on white, but since Strawberries and Acorns were both on this kind of cream linen, I wanted Cherries on it as well so that it would match. All the original floss colors worked except for one, the top of the pie. The original color was almost exactly the color of the fabric. On white fabric this would be fine, however on this fabric it didn't show up at all. The top of the pie is now in Little House Brown instead of the Perfect Piecrust originally charted. As with all the threadpacks, this is another really fun stitch. It's also moving along quickly enough that I should have a second finish this month. In addition, since I already have the frame, it should be finished off and hung quickly too.

34 Comments:

  • At 1:03 AM , Blogger Teejay said...

    It looks absolutely wonderful in the frame, great work!! And you saved by not having to have it professionally framed, and coupons too, what a deal! I always ended up with projects that had wonky sizes that didn't fit into a standard frame :(

     
  • At 5:07 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    Gingerbread Cottage looks great. You did a great job framing.

    Looks like I need to check out JoAnn's more often. ;-)

     
  • At 7:47 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Beautiful framing, Sue. Cherries is looking lovely as well.

     
  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Did you ever luck out! It looks fantastic. I think the mats were a great colour choice. I wish we had a JoAnn's Fabric here. The closest one to me is an hour and a half drive in Watertown, NY.
    I love your new start too!

     
  • At 8:58 AM , Blogger Becky K in OK said...

    $18.00! What a bargain. You did a great job. Looks fantastic. Congrats!

     
  • At 11:31 AM , Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

    Great work on the framing and Wow!...How lucky to find the exact matching matts and frame! It turned out fab!

     
  • At 12:27 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Wonderful framing job! I love it. Congrats. Cherries looks great and I look forward to seeing your new piece put together.

     
  • At 1:54 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Gingerbread Cottage looks absolutely gorgeous in that frame, nice job!! Your Cherries piece is looking good too ;)

     
  • At 3:40 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    The frame looks great, and I like your new start!

     
  • At 4:26 PM , Blogger Irene said...

    The mat couldn't be more perfect for this. It looks wonderful !! Good start on hderries.

     
  • At 4:29 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Wow, excellent framing! I wouldn't have picked a pink and green matt either, but it looks great. Bargain!

     
  • At 4:50 PM , Blogger Katrina in NZ said...

    It looks fab Sue, you made a lovely job of it. Hope you're enjoying the weekend.

     
  • At 7:09 PM , Blogger Ari_1965 said...

    Gingerbread Cottage looks great.

     
  • At 8:23 PM , Blogger Espresso Girlie said...

    Love both of them!! Great job.

    Suzann

     
  • At 12:31 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    That frame and those mats around Gingerbread Cottage are just perfect, and coupons to boot! Talk about scoring!
    I have to agree with you about Stephen King's IT (the comment you made on my blog) That had to be the worst (as in scariest) thing I ever read. Clowns UGH!

     
  • At 12:58 AM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    It is beautiful, and what a great framing job you did!

    I too need to check out Jo Ann's more often.

     
  • At 2:01 AM , Blogger Michele said...

    wow, that looks great Sue! awesome finds all around :)

     
  • At 9:54 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Excellent framing job - you're right, the pink and green really does set off the stitching!

     
  • At 10:57 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Oh that came out so nice!!! And yes you still have plenty of winter time to enjoy it on the wall. I can't wait for your next one to be finished and framed. It sounds really pretty as well.

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Sue, your Gingerbread Cottage is STUNNING in that frame!!!! And $18 to boot! LOL! You go girl ;o)

    I love those little kits and I'm sure they will look so nice in that frame you picked up. I never even thought about looking for something like that.

    I think you can tell how lovely your work is by the amount of comments left so far ;o)

     
  • At 12:59 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    I love the frame! What a deal on the framing cost. Cherries looks great!
    Donna

     
  • At 1:35 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    I love it and the frame and matting are perfect. Great job. I love framing my own too.
    I cant wait to see the LHN put together.

     
  • At 2:28 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    The Gingerbread Cottage turned out great! I sure wish that I had a JoAnnes Etc. near me. Great start on the Cherries!

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    Sue, isn't it just amazing how different frames and mats bring out different looks in the same design. Your Gingerbread Cottage is stunning. What a wonderful job you did.. and for only $18! Incredible! And I LOVE how Cherries is looking on that beautiful fabric. It just pops!

    Oh, thank you so much for your sweet and encouraging comment on my blog. It does my heart good to know what you went through as a young person and the great relationship you now have with your parents. It gives me such hope as a grandmother trying to help out a precious child. Thanks so much!

     
  • At 3:46 AM , Blogger Sandy said...

    It looks great, love the matting and framing too. Cherries looks great too. Great stitching. TFS

     
  • At 8:05 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    This is a great frame for a great project... I really love how you framed it.
    I also have this cherry little design and am looking forward to starting it.
    Take care,
    Lili

     
  • At 1:10 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    It does look wonderful you did a great job with the colors. Great deal too!

     
  • At 1:26 AM , Blogger Yuko said...

    It looks so beautiful finished and in the frame!
    I really love the fabric you've chosen, Vintage Country Mocha is my favourite, and it really turned out beautiful and so suits well with this design!
    When I stitch this design, I would choose the same fabbie!
    Congratulations!

     
  • At 7:52 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    What a fantastic find! The frame and mat are just perfect:)

     
  • At 11:12 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Love your framing job, Sue! It looks great and that mat colour is very well suited for it. How nice to get something finished, framed and hanging on the wall to enjoy!

     
  • At 1:13 PM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Oh, just lovely in the frame. How annoying for all of us to take pics & the color just isn't right -- just does not do justice to the project. sigh. Enjoy the LHN project, too.

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    You did a great job framing that yourself and for a super deal too!

    Great new start!

     
  • At 9:49 AM , Anonymous Pink.Canary said...

    Very nice framing! The mat is perfect. Great job! I didn't frame mine for the moment...

     
  • At 5:33 PM , Anonymous Sue said...

    You SO totally lucked OUT on that frame and mats...they are lovely as well as your finished piece inside.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home