Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, December 30, 2007

May I present - Garfield :)

I'd like to show off (and yes I'm doing a major happy dance) my 13th finish of this year -


He's finally done. Garfield was a Dimensions kit done on plastic canvas. I'm still planning on making him into a magnet for my refrigerator. While I'm not big into finishing projects, finishing on this should be easy even for me. All I need to do is put a bit of felt on the back, trim the edges of the plastic canvas and then glue a strip magnet to the back and I'm done. This poor little guy has been a WIP forever it seems due to his backstitching, but boy did it make a difference.

Actually the last two days have been very productive for me, as I also finished off my knitted dishcloth. This took me forever to photograph so that the frog design would stand out enough to even be seen, even after all that it is still hard. He should look like he is crawling upwards towards the left side.

This was the frog pattern from the booklet Garden Dishcloths. The example was done with a solid green yarn, so the pattern stood out better. However, the store near me didn't have a dark green, only a very bright (almost florescent) lime green color that I really didn't like for it. I loved this color yarn with the flecks of color. However, the speckles of color compete with the design and make it hard to see. Here is what it should have looked like (bottom right photo) I have a deeper green now, so may try again. Although the red one with the ladybug looks like it would be fun, and there's also a really sweet butterfly and sunflower pattern I liked also.

Well it is almost the new year, and a review of what my goals were for the year and what I got done shows I did pretty good.

Goal 1 - Complete one more project than last year
Last year I had 12 stitched and 1 knitted finishes, this year I had 13 stitched and 1 knitted so I met goal 1

Goal 2 - Have a couple more larger items in the completed projects
Since most of last year's finishes were card size or tuck pillow size I did well on this. While I didn't have any large size finishes like a Mirabilia, compared to last year's sizes I did complete several larger projects: Chocolate Shoppe, Winter Welcome, Jack and His Cat Tabletopper, and Dogs of Duckport.

I had one more sort of goal (not a real solid goal like the ones above), which was to work on Trick or Treat Mice by Lori Birmingham. This has been a WIP (although a UFO probably is more accurate) for several years. While I did take it off the old scroll frame it was on (that I disliked working with) and put it on Q-Snaps (which I love), that was all the attention it got.

So, my goals for 2008 are -

1) Finish 1 more project than in 2007 (so would be 15 projects)

2) Have at least 2 slightly larger project finishes in the mix (so all don't end up being card or tuck pillow size)

3) Actually do some work on Trick or Treat Mice

4) Work on Flower Dragons by Clear Star Designs (which is for my DD)

Hopefully I'll do as well next year as this past year. Gingerbread House is coming along well, I have the house and both side trees done now. I still have a few days off for the holidays, so it will get some more stitching time in. While it won't be done before year end, I'm optimistic that it will be done by Jan. 15th, the end of the SAL. I'll put an updated picture of it in my next post.

If I don't get another post in before the 1st of the year, I hope you all have a fun and safe New Year's Eve and a Happy New Year .

17 Comments:

  • At 1:14 PM , Blogger Vonna said...

    Garfield looks cute :)
    A magnet is a great way to finish this cutie!
    Have a super New Years!

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Yay! He's finally done and looks great!

    Good luck with those goals and happy new year!

     
  • At 1:54 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Congratulations on your finish! He looks fantastic!

     
  • At 2:06 PM , Blogger xstitch.nl said...

    Even without the backstitching, this one never failed to put a smile on my face, and it looks great now that it is finished!! Congratulations. Happy New Year!!

     
  • At 3:20 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    WOO HOO! Congrats on the Garfield finish. I've enjoyed watching your progress. :) Good luck with your 2008 goals!

     
  • At 3:54 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Love Garfield - that is *so* me in the mornings! The backstitch was worthwhile, he's great.

    I can see the frog too :)

    PS loved your snow dog photos, I had that starred to comment on but didn't do it in time, sorry!

    Best wishes for the New Year, can't wait to see Gingerbread House!

     
  • At 6:40 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    As much as I hate BS I must agree it really makes a difference in the piece. He looks great!
    I hope you meet your goals in the new year and a wish that 2008 brings special things to you and your family. Happy New Year!

     
  • At 7:52 PM , Blogger AngelSan said...

    Garfield is sooo great !!! I can relate in the morning... ;)
    Love the magnet idea.
    How great did you feel when you finished it, after having it as a wip for so long?

     
  • At 10:34 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Hee, hee! I love him! I'm a big fan of Garfield and him in those bunny slippers is just too cute :o)

    I see what you mean about the dishcloth. Try the solid color and see how it goes.

    Wow. I'd say you did really well with your goals! Me, not so well ;o) I think you've set some realistic ones for the new year.

    Happy New Year!

     
  • At 11:09 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    Garfield is really cute! That is exactly the way I feel most of these cold winter mornings. Oh heck most mornings, winter or not! There is a lot of back stitching on him, but it looks so good. I love your newest dishcloth. You do such cute ones. Thanks for sharing. I wish I could knit, but I have all left thumbs, and drop the needles a lot.
    And thank you so much for your supportive comment on my blog from yesterday. I know that...this too shall pass, but dang it hurts right now. And the wrong time of year for it too.
    I hope you have a wonderful and safe new years eve. I wish you and your family the best, most fun 2008!

     
  • At 4:55 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Wooo hooo!! Congrats on finishing Garfield! What a cutie. The backstitching does make a difference, so it was worth it!
    Good luck with your goals. Happy New Year

     
  • At 6:54 AM , Blogger Dawn B. said...

    Wow !! Congrats on Garfield as he looks great. Love the dish cloths too. HAPPY NEW YEAR.

     
  • At 7:09 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Congrats on your finish Sue, and for the dishcloth - it's very pretty. Happy new year!

     
  • At 12:07 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Yay!! He looks great!

    Happy New year to you and your family:)

     
  • At 5:10 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I LOVE GARFIELD!!!!!! He is adorable!!! There is a LOT of backstitching in this so give yourself a pat on the back. I also like your washcloth. Very nice and a great way to practice your knitting.

    Great job on your goals, but remember, if you add bigger projects, your totals may go down. And I had to laugh abt LBs mice. Her designs are very intricate (which is why they are so nice!), but it was funny how all that got done was the location of the mice! LOL

     
  • At 3:45 AM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Congrats on finishing Garfield! I can totally understand what an achievement finishing a plastic canvas sitch is.

    And I really like your frog. Taronga Zoo delcared 2008 the Year of the Frog, so he's finished just in time. :)

     
  • At 5:02 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    Yeeeepeeeee! He's done! And he's gorgeous! Congrats on finishing Garfield, Sue! Feeling better now? Lol!
    Obviously, the yarn is responsible for the frog pattern not standing out. I also wonder if it's not a little thin. You need some bigger yarn, not only plain. Or smaller needles. Or may be knitting a frog was not a good idea for a stitcher? lol!!!
    I'm off to the next post, now.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home