Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, November 17, 2007

Squirrels, Acorns, and Leaves

I'm beginning to think I'll never see the end of the leaves this year. I've put out over 40 bags so far. When I got up this morning after looking at the ground I'll have several more at least. My yard is not that big, so they are not all mine (other than me needing to be the one to clean them up). The angle my house is at, and the way the fencing sits, creates kind of a wind tunnel. So..if my neighbors do not clean up their leaves in a timely manner the wind will blow many of them into my yard where they tend to stay. For the most part I like all my neighbors, but this time of year I get frustrated they won't clean up their leaves quicker or better. I can't leave the leaves on the ground, as there are so many they will kill the grass, but it is irritating to have to spend so much time raking because they aren't. Oh well, this season will pass and I'll have winter and snow to deal with, and then I'll wish I could have the cool weather and the leaves again. Or, better yet, how long until summer?

I've gotten a bit more stitching done, and with the fall season this is an appropriate stitch.


Acorns - Little House Needleworks
32 ct Belfast Linen

This is on the same piece of mystery color linen as Strawberries was done on. While an odd cut of fabric which I found in the odds and ends bin when I bought it, you can see how perfect it worked for the two thread packs. This is a fun one, I love the pudgy little squirrel. The original pattern had the tail in the same color brown as the tree, but I changed it to be the same color as the squirrel. The other change I'm thinking of making is instead of leaving the eye as it is (with the linen showing) I may do a small black french knot or seed bead. Squirrels have such lively, mischievous eyes that it seems appropriate. I'm watching two of them steal seed out of my bird feeders right now.

I've found a play friend for Jazmine. One of the ladies in my area has a 7 yr old golden retriever who is an absolute sweetie. We've been meeting and taking Jaz and Sadie for walks together. Also, once a week we try to get to the dog park for them to be able to run free in a safe area. Jaz seems to love it. Sadie is so sweet and goofy that Jaz is not intimidated at all. Jaz is still the same outside if Sadie is not around (nervous and just wants to go back home), but at least this is giving her some time outside with a playmate so she can see the world isn't always a scary place.

I'm still working on catching up with everyone, you've certainly been a busy group. I'm a little over halfway through reading blogs, so hopefully I'll have caught up with everyone by the end of this weekend.

12 Comments:

  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    That squirrel is adorable, and I think a little bitty bead would make a great eye. :)

    We have tons of leaves, too, even though we don't have a single tree. There's a public green area with an number of large trees just outside our backyard, and the leaves all blow/fall/drift into our yard.

     
  • At 1:38 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    Glad to see you back! I love the squirrel. I'm glad to hear that Jazmine is doing better too!

     
  • At 1:49 PM , Anonymous Jenn L said...

    Is there a way to put some sort of screening on the fence to block at least some of the leaves from getting in? Something like nylon netting or tulle?

    Acorns is very cute!

     
  • At 2:40 PM , Anonymous monique said...

    That's probably the only good thing about living in a new neighborhood, where the trees are still mostly sticks!

    Cute squirrel and great strawberries finish :)

     
  • At 3:21 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your Acorns piece is so cute:)

     
  • At 12:19 AM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Acorns is looking wonderful! Yes, the leaves can get overwhelming especially if your the only neighbor raking! Good luck with neighbors!
    Donna

     
  • At 11:52 AM , Blogger Michele said...

    nice to see you back :) I stitched Acorns recently for a friend .. fun stitch isn't it! I'm glad you found a playmate for Jaz :)

     
  • At 12:48 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    The squirrel is so cute!

    I'm glad Jaz has found a playmate. (((Hugs)))

     
  • At 3:45 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Leaves... something I dont want to talk about, lol.
    Acorns is adorable.

     
  • At 10:51 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Sue, can you email me? My email is in my profile :o)

     
  • At 12:34 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    Sue, I'm so happy that Jaz has found a sweet companion. A golden... Yes, they're cream: Jam adapts to the other animals' behaviour too: he will lie down if he sees the cat is afraid and so on... A perfect companion for Jaz.
    Give her a warm and sweet special hug for me, will you?
    Off to the next post (my time to catch up!)
    Lili

     
  • At 11:38 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Until this year we had the same problem with leaf accumulation. However our new neighbours cut down 2 of the 3 maples on their property and we don't have nearly as many leaves now. I really miss those trees though.
    How lovely that you have found a friend for Jaz!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home