Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, November 25, 2007

New Start

I hope everyone had a lovely Thanksgiving, I know I did. Plenty of goodies to eat and some wonderful stitching time. I was able to get a good start on my new project, a SAL of Gingerbread Cottage, a new Country Cottage Needleworks design


Gingerbread Cottage - Country Cottage Needleworks
28ct Country Mocha linen

I wasn't sure if I would like it on the fabric I chose, but it seems to be working ok so far. Unfortunately I'm missing one of the colors, so there are a couple of gaps in the house and tree that I'll have to fill in later (the door, a band at the top of the house, and two tree decorations). When it's done it will look like this

I thought this was so cute when I saw it, and love the colors. Like the Little House Needleworks patterns, it has the added plus of no backstitch or partial stitches. Although I may do a backstitch line along the outside edge of the house in the medium or darker shade of brown, as the light shade of tan that the house is in does not stand out all that well against the fabric I picked, so just that tiny bit of backstitch may help give the house a bit more definition. The contrast is slightly less in real life than in my picture.

During Thanksgiving I got to spend a good amount of time stitching with my DSIL Kim and so got to see some of the fun projects she's recently completed and even done the finishing on, like her Chocolate Covered Cherries and Pumpkin Scissor Fob. I love the pumpkin fob and plan on making one for myself. Her finishing always looks so nice to me. One of these days I really need to learn to do more finishing myself. Acorns and Strawberries are still sitting in my basket waiting for me to decide how to finish them off.

25 Comments:

  • At 11:05 AM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    That's a lovely new start!

     
  • At 11:19 AM , Blogger Vonna said...

    It looks so lovely so far and I love the fabric you chose to stitch it on!

     
  • At 12:18 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    I'm really tempted by this one too, yours is looking great, the fabric looks just fine from here ;)

    (Acorns was cute too!)

     
  • At 1:15 PM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Oh, I love that pattern! From the picture, it looks like there is enough contrast.

    Just checked out Kim's Blog and she does lovely work as well :o)

     
  • At 1:50 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    I love your new start...this CCN chart is adorable...i'll be stitching this one for sure!!

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Ok I LOVE this cottage! I've always loved houses so cottages are always in my bin to do. It looks great so far!!
    And glad you had a great day.

     
  • At 3:22 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    That is looking nice. Can't wait to see it finished.

     
  • At 3:23 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    This is a very cute project! Such soft and welcoming colors.

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Anonymous monique said...

    Nice start... I like the colors :)

     
  • At 4:38 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

    Lovely progress on your Gingerbread Cottage. I love that design as well. Nicole N just posted her finished piece on her blog a few days ago and hers is sooo pretty! It's nice to see it stitched on different colors of fabric.

    Glad you got to stitch with Kim! I always read her blog. She does do some great finishing!

     
  • At 9:21 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    I am so loving your start on Ginger Bread Cottage. It's such a pretty design. Well hey, it's a LHN design, of course it's pretty. I like the cupcakes on each side of the cottage and I'll bet those gingerbread men will be fun to stitch too.

    I'm trying to type this, while Phoebe (grey cat) is trying to snuggle into my arms. Thus making typing on a keyboard very difficult, if not impossible. If there are any typing errors here...they're hers!!

    Acorns turned out beautifully too. I've got more of these little designs to do too, and the more of them I do, the more I want to do. I really like Strawberries, which you finished previously, but I don't have that package....yet!

    I'm glad to hear that Jazmine has made a friend and is enjoying her walks again. Poor doggie.

    Oops...here's Phoebe again. I've moved her twice to her blanket since I began typing this entry, but she refuses to stay where I put her tonight. She's such a suck.

    Thank you for your kind words about DH's Aunt Elsa. She was a one of a kind true character.

    Cheers. (From Phee too)

     
  • At 10:08 PM , Blogger Espresso Girlie said...

    Sue - I think it looks lovely. I understand your concern, but I can see the contrast via the computer, so I'm sure it is even better up close and personal.
    Suzann

     
  • At 11:04 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Lovely little start, Sue. Very sweet (pun intended!). Some backstitch around the house does sound like a good idea, make it a little more defined.

     
  • At 4:08 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Oooh love you acorn finish and this design is lovely too. I adore the fabric - very different but suits the design well. xx

     
  • At 12:05 AM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    Wow, Sue! What a great start! And I LOVE the fabric. It's perfect, and the snow will show just fine on it. Good to see you blogging again. Missed you!

     
  • At 6:06 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Wow you did manage to get alot done. It looks great & Glad you had a good ThanksGiving.

     
  • At 7:31 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    What a lovely new project!
    I'll visit Kim's blog after commenting.
    I sure love the fabric you've chosen.
    hugs,
    Lili

     
  • At 8:12 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Sue, what a cute, cute project! I think your fabric choice is perfect. I'm glad you had a good Thanksgiving!

     
  • At 7:44 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    That's a great new start! I love these patterns for the same reasons that you do. They are such quick stitches too!

     
  • At 12:36 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Beautiful new start!

     
  • At 3:17 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    What a beautiful new start. I love this design. The colours are gorgeous. I'm looking forward to seeing more:)

     
  • At 6:07 PM , Blogger Solstitches said...

    It is looking lovely already but then I love anything by this designer.
    Your fabric looks good to me.

    Margaret

     
  • At 9:29 AM , Blogger Mindi said...

    Very nice start on Gingerbread Cottage, and your Acorns is adorable.

     
  • At 11:33 AM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    That is a very welcoming little home you are stitching. Great start!

     
  • At 5:31 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    The gingerbread house is really cute!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home