Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Little bit of this and that

Wow, I can't believe I've gone so long between posts. I've been so busy time has just flown by. I was lucky enough to see my DD twice this last weekend. The circus came to Grand Rapids, so was only a little over an hour away. I left work early on Friday and my parents and I drove there to visit and see the show. We got there about 3 hours before she had to go to work, so had a good amount of time to catch up on things and visit. We were able to drop off some of the stuff that she had left at home when she flew out to join them that she wanted, got to see the train yard where the train stays and have a tour of the train she lives on, and got a wonderful behind the scenes tour of the set up of the circus. She was able to transfer out of the one department that she didn't enjoy the work in and is now in props. She absolutely loves it. She gets to paint, fix things, solder, set up and take down, run around in the arena with the different prop changes and such. It is not a job I'd like, and the small living space and always moving around would drive me nuts, but it seems perfect to her. For example, the other day I got a text message saying that she had elephant slobber in her hair, bruises all over her shins, and that wasn't her job awesome, it just rocked. Hmmmm guess that means she's happy. I could really see it in her face when I was there as well, she just glowed. I made a second trip there on Sun. morning to drop off a little more of her stuff and to visit a bit more before they moved on again. She's off running around Indiana now, but it was great to see her.

As to stitching, I've gotten so little done I can't believe it. Unless things settle down a little bit there is no way I'll make my goal of getting at least one more project done this year than last. I have done a couple of larger pieces for a change, which was the second part of my goal for this year, but getting the number of projects done is beginning to look like it won't happen. Oh well, one day at a time and one stitch at a time, at least I have gotten a tiny bit done. I'm still loving this piece, the colors are such fun to work with. I can't wait to start the little bunnies as well. However, as you can see my headway has been incredibly small. The other stitching picture I'll have to post next time is my framed Peaches. I think it turned out great, but I haven't taken a picture of it yet so that will have to wait.

Thank you all for your kind wishes and prayers for Sasha. While she doesn't seem to be any worse, she isn't any better yet either. The vet changed her meds again and she's been on the new ones about a week. Unfortunately they haven't helped as much as we'd hoped. I've bought a pet ramp for her, and that should help with her going up the stairs when she has to go in and out. Going down she no longer does the side stairs due to a sharp turn at the bottom which makes her pivot on her bad leg, she now uses the front where there aren't any turns needed. At almost 12, she really is getting old for a dog with Newfoundland in her. It is just hard as other than the arthritis and related pain in the hips and leg, she's perfectly healthy. One good thing in a way though is due to her personality and breed she's never had a high energy level, so laying around and just watching makes her happy. Give her some fun chewies, or especially some of the special doggy ice cream they make, and she's a very happy dog. I've got a call into the vet today to see what else we can try. Hopefully there are some other meds that, either alone or in combination, the vet can think of that we can try. If you can continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers I would sure appreciate it.

21 Comments:

  • At 10:21 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

    How wonderful that you got to spend time with your DD and see what her life is like. Isn't it wonderful when you see your child glowing like that and know she is happy?
    Your strawberries are so cute and I'm looking forward to seeing the addition of the bunnies.
    Like you said it's best to take our projects 'one stitch at a time' - it's the journey we must enjoy.
    Poor Sasha - please give her a loving pet from me.

     
  • At 11:41 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    It's great to hear your daughter is enjoying the circus. I don't know if I'd be so happy about elephant snot in my hair!

     
  • At 12:00 PM , Blogger Shell said...

    your DD sounds great.How romantic almost running off to join the circus.Elephant snot and she is still happy.
    Keep spoiling Sasha

     
  • At 1:43 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    I'm with you on the job thing-don't think I could do it. But it's great that she is happy-which is the one thing we want for all our kids.

    I sure wish Sasha would feel better and I am glad to hear she is no worse. I didn't realize that they made doggy ice cream-cats here you know! I sure she enjoys being spoiled!

     
  • At 4:45 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    I'm glad you were able to see your DD and how she lives. This will make it easier for you, knowing that she's happy...
    I think of you and Sasha everyday; and I really hope that some satisfying solution will be found.
    Take care, Sue! And give a hug to Sasha and Jasmine for me, will you?
    HUgs,
    Lili

     
  • At 4:46 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Oh gosh, I'm so glad you got to spend some time with your daughter and see first-hand how happy she is. I'm sure that doesn't make it any easier to be away from her, but .... Parenthood is kind of a lousy job when the kids take off on their own. Sending you big hugs for being such a GREAT mom. :D

     
  • At 9:45 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    I hope Sasha is feeling better soon!

    I can't wait to see the bunnies, or your framed peaches!

    Wow, circus life seems stressful! I'm glad your daughter is enjoying it!

     
  • At 11:01 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    I am so glad you got to spend time with your daughter and see a bit of what her job is like. It is exciting for her, although I am like you and would not like that job either!! I will keep Sasha in my prayers - thanks for the update!

     
  • At 8:22 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    Prayers are coming your way for Sasha. I sure wish she'd start feeling better. Sorry I couldn't see Amber. I'm looking forward to seeing Peaches.

     
  • At 8:34 PM , Blogger Ari_1965 said...

    I couldn't handle elephant slobber. Multi-dog slobber at the dog park is too much for me.

     
  • At 9:43 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    I'm glad your daughter is so happy and doing well.

    Poor Sasha, she is in my thoughts and prayers. You will have to give her a big puppy hug from me.

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    I'm glad you got to see your DD and see that she is truly happy where she is!

    Your piece looks lovely!

     
  • At 10:45 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    So pleased to hear you've spent some time with your DD at the circus. It sounds like she is having a great time.

    I hope Sasha is much better soon. Please give her a hug from me:)

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

    That's wonderful that you got to see your daughter. It does sound like she's having so much fun.

     
  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    I love your Strawberries project! I'm going to have to order this one too someday. In a way the computer reproductions of these projects just don't do them justice. It's when you see them actually stitched up that you really appreciate them.

    It must have been fun to get a behind the scenes tour of how a circus is run. I've never seen a traditional circus in person, although DH and I did go to a performance of Cirque du Solel a few years ago. Magic!! Glad to hear you had a nice visit with your DD too. She's certainly going to have some wonderful stories to tell someday.

    So sorry to hear that poor Sasha is having a hard time again. Poor puppy. Hope the vet finds the right meds combo to help her feel better soon.

    They make Doggy ice cream????

    Cheers!

     
  • At 10:28 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    It was so nice that you were able to spend some time with your DD. It seems that the circus life suits her. She certainly sound enthusiastic about it!
    I'll keep thinking about Sasha and hope they are able to make her more comfortable.

     
  • At 1:51 AM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    I'm sure you had a blast spending time with your dd.

    There is some progress to your wip, it don't matter if it's just a stitch or two...every stitch counts and they add up too!=)

    Sorry to hear about your dog not well... I wish her all the best, and I am sure she loved/enjoyed the treats *^_^*

     
  • At 6:51 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Great to hear your DD is liking her job and doing well. Cool that you got to spend some time with her as well. She is now on her way to my home state. Love the WIP and hope to see more soon. Thanks for the comment on my blog.

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    I'm glad you got to spend time with your DD --- isn't it great when our kids are happy?

    Hope your Pup can find something to make her comfortable. She sounds like a real love.

     
  • At 9:56 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    Your trip to visit your DD must have been so much fun (after a fashion). I know there are drawbacks to having her traveling the country (for you). But then seeing her so happy is a thrill. I'm feeling it too. Although, I see my DD every day, the life she has chosen gives me the willys sometimes. (Training tough horses)
    I love your strawberries! I have a strawberry motif in my kitchen, so I am partial to them!
    I hope by this time the vet has found something to ease Sasha's pain better. Poor baby. My German Shepherd is getting up there in years (a little earlier than I thought he would) He's seven, but had an extremely active first few years. So he's getting achy early on.
    Thank you for your comment on my blog. The WB has not responded to my email to them, so I have not sent my DVD's back yet. It's getting frustrating at all levels now. Oh well..it'll get fixed sometime soon I hope!

     
  • At 9:51 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    I think it's amazing that anyone has time to Blog ;o)

    Your daughter works in the circus! WOW! What a cool job! No wonder she is happy :o)

    I agree, I love the colors in the strawberry piece. I've got to start mine soon.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home