Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, August 04, 2007

To do or not to do....

To do or not to do the border on Peaches, that is the question. I'm done now all except for deciding on the border question.
The pattern has a square border around the outside of the design. The inside row would be the deeper orange color (like the basket bottom) the row next to it and just outside would be the green. While it looks cute in the picture it would pose a couple of issues

1) I dislike doing borders as generally, unless I really want some mindless stitching, I find them boring to do,

2) doing finishing with a border is challenging to try and keep it straight and not have the border lines get squiggly, and

3) I'm not totally sure how I want to finish this. If I frame it and use any type of mat, then that would make the outside edge so it wouldn't necessarily need the border. In fact a lot of times with a mat I like it better without a border, as it kind of seems like it gets overdone on a smaller project. If I frame it and don't use a mat, in a small frame still don't always need a border (Chocolate Covered Cherries seemed to look fine without one). Finally, if I get brave and try to finish into a flat fold I'd have cording around the edge which would create a border, so again really wouldn't need one.

Hmmm, writing it down and thinking about it, I think I just pretty much made up my mind to not having a border. Maybe I can get out to Joann's this weekend and check out frames and fabric. Depending on what I find that may help me decide on which way to finish it. The other plus of not having a border, this then would be finished (not just almost finished) and I can move on to another project. Not sure if I'll pick a WIP back up or start something new, maybe I need to go stash shopping. :)

Judy had asked in an earlier comment what a Boo Boo Stick is. It's like a tiny little bottle brush. Most times when I end up frogging out stitches they come back out of the fabric cleanly. However, sometimes (especially dark floss on light fabric or light floss on dark fabric) little fuzzes get left behind. While tape will lift them off, most times I don't have tape with me. My Boo Boo stick I keep handy in my stitching basket. The stiffer bristles are great for rubbing over the fabric, they get the fuzzes off (and out of) my fabric so that I can restitch the area without the fuzz getting into my new stitches, which is then even harder to get them out.

Another question I had from Carol was on my use of Q-snaps. My Q's don't show in this picture of Peaches, but in my previous post they do. I've seen Q's put on both ways. I like mine on the inside of the fabric I'm stitching on as it feels nicer to me in my hand. I know the other way "working in the well" can help to keep the outside edges cleaner, but it is harder for me to hold. It isn't as much of an issue since I started using a stand to hold my frame sometimes, but if I hold it in my hand to stitch having them this way is more comfortable. Also, the fabric you see around the outside edge is scrap fabric (usually a soft flannel) that I keep with my sets of Q's. It is cut into strips about the length of the Q snap. When I put my project in the Q's I'll lay a piece of the fabric along the outside so that it is between my fabric and the Q clamp. The extra fabric helps prevent any rubbing of the clamp on my fabric or stitches, helps the Q clamp fit tighter/grip better, and gives me an easy place to park my needle so that I don't put it in the fabric. Also, once on a piece of black fabric the Q clamp must have been rubbing on it just right (before I started using the strip of fabric as a divider) as it left a bit of a white smudge behind, with the extra fabric I don't need to worry about that either. I don't generally do really large projects, but a couple of times I've had a piece that was slightly to big for my Q's, so that the clamps went over the stitching, the extra fabric at that point created a buffer so that the Q clamp didn't rub on (or squish quite as badly) my stitches. Hope that made sense.

33 Comments:

  • At 12:17 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    I think that's a good choice. Depending on how big the border is, it seems like it could overtake this design. Such a cute piece!

    The boo boo stick is a fantastic idea!

     
  • At 12:36 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    I think it looks great without the border:)

     
  • At 12:38 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    It looks fab as it is. xx

     
  • At 1:27 PM , Blogger Teejay said...

    fyi for your finishing options: here is a link of someone who sells tuck pillows and tuck banners really cheap on ebay. (I do not know this person and it isn't a plug for her). Trulyn2stitching is her ebay i.d.
    http://crafts.search.ebay.com/_Other-Cross-Stitch_W0QQcatrefZC12QQsacatZ953QQsassZtrulyn2stitching

     
  • At 2:30 PM , Anonymous chiloe said...

    Hi

    Thanks for commenting on my blog: it leads me to your blog and I really enjoyed seeing what you do and reading what you write!!! It's always a good thing to leave a comment !!! Thanks again!

     
  • At 2:54 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    I just think Peaches is adorable and the colors are fabulous. But then again I like all LHN designs, :) I think borders are a personal perference.

     
  • At 3:16 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

    Borders make sense when you are going to frame or sew a piece much larger than the central stitching. Looking at models, some of them are presented in HUGE frames. I also like the border around the Hillside Samplings Topiaries. It sets off the edge of the Topiary ornaments. Besides their borders are specialty stitches, which makes them more fun to do.

    Interesting, I always attach the inside of my fabric to my Q-Snaps and I always staple my stretcher bars for needlepoint to the face (stitching in the well). I think that is because the stretcher bars that I am using are quite thin and don't get in the way.

     
  • At 3:32 PM , Blogger Vonna said...

    I do the exact same thing you do for your Q-snap clamps! I found that as I used my Q snaps they tend to get a little streched out (the clamps) and don't fit as tightly....I tried it with felt and since then I never not use the felt over my fabric...
    :)

     
  • At 3:59 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I think once you decide what to do finishing-wise, the question of border - no border will become clearer.

    The picture itself is ADORABLE!

     
  • At 6:37 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

    I like your boo-boo stick! It's such a good idea. I just hope you don't have to use it too often :p

    I like the peaches without the border. If it were me stitching it, I'd probably stitch the border and finish it onto a tin lid. Just seems like it'd be a super cute tin to me! I am sure it will look awesome no matter what you do like all of your other finishes :)

     
  • At 6:52 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

  • At 7:39 PM , Blogger valda said...

    Peaches looks great without a border. Congrats on your finish!

     
  • At 7:53 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Your Peaches piece came out great. I like it without a border ;)

     
  • At 10:44 PM , Blogger Espresso Girlie said...

    This is really cute!!

    Suzann

     
  • At 2:26 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    I like it just fine without the border. Since you don't like doing them anyway, why bother?

     
  • At 4:21 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    I don't like stitching borders either, but sometimes they're needed. ;) Depends on the finishing. LOL!

    I also use extra cloths with my Q Snaps - works great!

     
  • At 8:28 AM , Anonymous monique said...

    I like it without the border. I generally skip stitching the borders, too! What fabric did you use?

     
  • At 11:01 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Peaches looks lovely, Sue, and I do think it looks perfect without the border:)

     
  • At 11:13 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Very nice finish Sue! Why don't you wait and see how you want to finish it first? I know borders are boring but it might add to the piece if you were to make a cube, for example :o)

    I like using my Q-Snaps the same way you do. I've never tried the opposite way but I think it would feel too weird! LOL!

     
  • At 2:43 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    No border sounds fine to me too, Sue. I wanted to thank you for your kind welcome back message: you sure made my day, I was very touched. Sorry I didn't do it before...
    Thanks for the snap explanations. The fabric you use with it sounds a real good idea.
    And I'm definitely in love with this project... I love cats so much...

     
  • At 8:35 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

    No question that Tonkinese are sweet cats. They are my husband's favorites, but for me they are a little TOO friendly. My Abys would sleep at the foot of my bed, outside the covers, or on my pillow. The Tonks demand to sleep under the covers and sometimes jump on your shoulder when you leave expect it.

     
  • At 9:31 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hey Sue! Thanks for answering my query about what a boo boo stick might be. Is that really what it's called, or is that just your name for it?? Either way it certainly is a nifty tool. I'll have to remember that next time I have to frog something and there's residue left behind.

    To edge, or not to edge...hmmm. I loved the green and dark peach colours together in the boarder. But your reasons for not doing the border are sound. I'm curious to see how you finish this one. Maybe it'll give me some ideas for mine.

    Do you have more of these LHN kits to do??? I love them so much.

    Cheers Judy

     
  • At 10:02 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Peaches looks wonderful....
    If you don't like stitching borders then don't!!!
    We are supposed to be having FUN.

     
  • At 1:26 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    Thank you so much for the nice comment about the pic of my mom and daughter on my blog! My daughter just lost 55 lbs, so she especially loved it!
    Wish we could get some rain, but since we don't have rain in So.Calif in the summer, have to wait! My roses would love some!
    And thank you for detailing how you work with Q-Snaps! I'm going to have to try the way you do it, with the fabric strips..great idea..my clamps have gotten looser with age,and I am ALWAYS trying to tighten them up, which gets annoying.

     
  • At 5:31 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    It looks great like this! Cute piece. Good luck deciding how to finish it, let us know what you decide :)

     
  • At 8:01 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Think that's a good choice too. I hate borders and avoid them when I can. Would like to know how to get a boo boo stick.

     
  • At 4:47 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    I stitched mine with the borders, but I like yours without the borders, too! I can't wait to see how you finish it!

     
  • At 10:49 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

    Peaches is so cute!! Looks like you don't need my advice about border/no border anymore. Isn't it wonderful that when you write it all down the answer just seems to pop up?
    What a gorgeous dragon tin. He looks just perfect - blue with the lovely red jewel.
    Have you finished HP#7? I'm loving it.

     
  • At 12:48 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    Hi Sue - it doesn't really look like it needs a border!

     
  • At 10:54 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    This came out so cute!!! You did a great job, and better yet, no backstitching!! LOL

     
  • At 8:35 AM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Your finish is lovely (second time I've seen that one stitched up recently, must be popular). Looks like you talked yourself out of that border!

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I like it as is. I'm waiting for this chart to arrive any day now. It's part of my recent stash binge. I'm not sure now whether I'll bother with the border!

     
  • At 11:17 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    I think Peaches looks good without the border. :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home