Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, August 18, 2007

Little stash and memories of Grandma

While I did get a little stitching done this week, it is on a project that I can't show since is going to be a gift for someone that does visit my blog. While she doesn't come on a regular basis, I'm not going to take the chance of spoiling a surprise. With Christmas beginning to be in the not so distant future anymore, I imagine there will be a number of us posting similar comments in the future.

So, now for what I can show. A while back I placed a birthday order for some stash. I'm still missing one of the items, but my other goodies have gotten here. First up is the one that I'm still waiting for, Kitty Cat Row by Bent Creek. I think this one is so cute. I want to do it and put it over the door casing in the bathroom. The area there is long and narrow and this should look perfect, besides being just plain fun to look at.

My next two pictures are the stash I do have (all pictures are clickable to see better). Sorry the picture of Violets in the upper left didn't turn out so good. I didn't think to take them out of the plastic until I was loading the pictures into the computer and then realized it didn't turn out so great. The sun is gone now, so this picture will have to do. However, if you want to see it better you can head over to Country Cottage Needleworks for a better shot. I got Violet by CCN, Believe by LHN, Quaker Cat and Mouse by Workbasket, and J*K*L and Spring & Fall by Prairie Schooler. When I first saw the Cat and Mouse pattern I wasn't sure I liked it, but then I saw it done up (and so did my DD) and it was so cute finished. The PS ones are a new style for me as well, however, the goofy looking Kitty in the one and the Squirrel, Kitty, and Turkey in the other I think will be a lot of fun to stitch.

The last stash I got was M*N*O by PS, I loved the Owl, and I think the Mermaid would be fun for my DD. The fabric, Tundra, just came as my FOTM, so really wasn't Birthday stash, but the green is really pretty. It is a soft sage color. I couldn't get a good picture of it, but the soft green really is lovely.

Finally, I have some odd stash. This I just got today. I was in JoAnn's looking at frames and such for Peaches, and just wandered over to the yarn aisle to see what they might have (I think I've been readingLynn's blog to much). I'm not a Knitter, which I've mentioned before, but a while back in a catalog I'd seen a booklet of dishcloths with garden themes that I thought was just too cute. I fell in love with the frog. My kitchen has lots of frogs (well, actually, I have a fair amount throughout my house, but I tend to have more there), and I thought it would be cute to have. The book has a frog, beehive, ladybug, butterfly, cherries, birdhouse, bird (cardinal?), hummingbird, and various flowers (including a lovely Sunflower). There wasn't any green yarn in stock at the time, but I picked up the cream one here. While not green, I think it will make a fun frog one (hopefully the pattern will stand out ok). While I'm not really sure what I'm doing, with it only being a simple knit/purl pattern, and not very big, I figure I'll be ok. Besides, how badly can I mess up a dishcloth? And if I do, since is just for me, it won't be that bad. Even if I had to rip a bit (which I hate) wouldn't think it could be toooo bad, a dishcloth is relatively small.

I looked at the pattern and it said size 7 needles. Here's the neat part, I have a stash of knitting needles and crochet hooks already. Not a huge stash, I didn't keep all I inherited, but when my grandmother died I got a lot of her stash of that type. I went and looked through what I had, and yup, there was a pair of size 7's and a little red stitch counter on the end. I even have a little metal slide ruler type thingy to check stitch gauge that she left me. So, I'll be knitting them on needles my grandmother left me. I'll bet she'd be pleased. She was a fantastic knitter, stitcher, etc... so hopefully she'll guide my hands and help keep me from making to many mistakes as I use the knitting needles that she used so many years ago.

32 Comments:

  • At 9:18 PM , Blogger Vonna said...

    Lots of lovely stitchy and knitty stash here :)

    I love to knit my own dishclothes...they last forever and are really, really nicer than the ones you purchase. Good Luck with that :)

     
  • At 9:57 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Needles with a "past" make the best projects. With the washcloths you can use almost any needle from a 5 to a 9 and they'll turn out okay. Don't worry about gauge. It's just a washcloth.

     
  • At 10:35 PM , Blogger Mindi said...

    Lovely stash! I think I just ordered one of the Prairie Schoolr charts you got.

     
  • At 11:43 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Wow! Love all the new stitch stash. Have fun with the PS, they are so fun. I have not made a dishcloth for ages. Good Luck!!

     
  • At 11:53 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I'm sure your dishcloths will be beautiful, but if you have any questions, feel free to email me.

    Now you'll have another "addiction", I mean, um, hobby!

     
  • At 12:57 AM , Blogger Teejay said...

    You got some great stash there, I bet you can't wait to get started on some of them. The kitties are going to be cute.

     
  • At 8:20 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    TEEHEE!!!! I LOVE to pass on my other obsessions!! SO glad you had the needles for it, but honestly, for dishcloths, dont worry abt gauge. Not a big deal.

    And I love the stash you've shown, AND I have Kitty Cat Row!!

     
  • At 8:36 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    That's some lovely stash. And how nice that you can work some of it up using your Grandma's needles! :)

     
  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger Karoline said...

    What lovely stash :)

     
  • At 11:44 AM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    That's a really nice way to remember your Grandma. I'm still using my Gran's cake tins! Your stash is fab, you have great taste, Kitty Cat Row is v.tempting!

     
  • At 3:30 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Nice stash, you'll have fun playing with all of that ;)

     
  • At 5:01 PM , Blogger Carto said...

    Hey there :)

    Thanks for dropping by and wishing me luck - it is very much appreciated and very kind of you.

    Hopefully after Wednesday my life can go back to some sort of normality and I can actually get back to blogging again. I will be posting whether I'm celebrating or commiserating. And thank you for thinking about Fudge too, bless your heart xxx

     
  • At 5:29 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Some fab stash there! Lots of lovely designs. xx

     
  • At 9:10 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Lots of great kitty stash! I love doing anything with cats. This is the first time I see the Quaker Cat and Mouse and I love it! Kitty Cat Row is another favourite of mine and is on my wish list.
    The dishcloths look like they'll been fun to do. I'm not much of a knitter myself.

     
  • At 9:15 AM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    New stash is so much fun.. what to do next is fun toooooo.
    Have fun with the knitting.

     
  • At 9:26 AM , Blogger TinaTx said...

    Nice stash! I love both CCN & LHN. Have fun knitting. How nice that you have your grandmother's needles to knit with.

     
  • At 10:12 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Great birthday stash!!!! When was or is your special day????

    I just adore those dishclothes! I've never seen those patterns before :o) I wish you luck and really, it shouldn't be too hard. Like you said, you'll have your Grandma's help and guidance ;o)

     
  • At 11:13 AM , Blogger Singular Stitches said...

    Wonderful new stash!!!

    I love the Bent Creek kitty cat alphabet!! Can't wait to see your progress.

    I haven't seen the Workbasket kitty design...I'll have to check that one out!

    Welcome to knitting! It's another great vice (like cross stitch!). Dishcloths are great easy projects to start, but don't get discouraged working with the Sugar & Cream yarn. It's a bit stiff, and doesn't have much give (a characteristic of cotton yarn), so it may be a little slow going if you're learning the process of knitting (and coordinating holding two needles) at the same time. Knitting is a bit more mobile than xstitch (I usually keep a sock on the needles in my purse at all times). Enjoy!!

     
  • At 12:39 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    Love the new stash! I can't wait to see the washcloths, too. They look so neat!

     
  • At 2:50 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Love all your new stash Sue.

     
  • At 2:59 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    wow, what great stash!!! and I love those dishcloths! my best friend collects frog .. she has a few around the house too *grin*

     
  • At 6:57 PM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    Ahh kill joy...Show it to us anyway. LOL j/k!

    Love your new stash. =)

     
  • At 7:24 AM , Blogger Annemarie said...

    I'm sure your Grandmother will look down on you and help you finish the froggy dishcloth. Without tinking, of course!
    Lovely stash. The PS letters are one of my favourite designs ever!

     
  • At 10:53 AM , Anonymous Michelle said...

    Love the PS patterns - I'm originally from Kansas, so I have a soft spot for PS designs. Have you seen Cranberry Christmas?? That's my next purchase.

    Michelle

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    Great Stashing! :)

     
  • At 1:24 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    What a lovely post! I love the dishcloth stash. I used to knit a lot and I've made many pullovers with such designs on them.
    Great stash too. So you, secret lady: when is your birthday?
    Happy birthday (belated or early?), Sue!
    HUgs,
    Lili

     
  • At 2:00 PM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    What great stash! It's wonderful you can use some of grandma's needles.

     
  • At 3:35 PM , Blogger Anita said...

    Love the display of your new and old stash.

     
  • At 4:05 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Great new stash! I've got Kitty Cat Row and I should really get around to stitching it!

     
  • At 5:37 PM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Lovely stash, Sue! How great that you are using your grandmother's knitting needles. :) :)

     
  • At 1:00 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Wow, what great stash Sue!
    I can't believe you mentioned the Christmas word aaaah ;) Im still waiting for summer to arrive here LOL

     
  • At 3:19 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    A lot of neat stash! If you can figure out the knitting, will you teach me? 8) I need to finish reading HP so I can get back into stitching.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home