Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Tuesday, August 07, 2007

I don't knit but...

Well at least for the most part I don't knit, maybe the occasional scarf or two, and I have done one sock (not a pair, just the one). At one point I have also made a sweater. Now it is not one I wear out of the house, as it is ummmmm lets just say interesting in its fit (although not totally outrageous). It will fit comfortably layered over a turtleneck and sweatshirt, and even probably a second sweatshirt. In length it also comes to about mid thigh. This is not quite what the original pattern was designed for. For all that though it is nice and warm and snuggly, and curling up in it at the end of a long day in the winter is comforting.

So, with that said while I have knit, I am not by any means a knitter. However, the book Casts Off, The Yarn Harlot's guide to the Land of Knitting by Stephanie Pearl-McPhee was recommended to me as very cute, and in most cases if I substituted the word stitcher for knitter, very relevant. I got it out of the library and read it this past weekend, and it was a quick and fun read. In addition, as my friend said, for the most part substitute stitcher for knitter in the various descriptions and you have most of us stitchers. It talked about startitus, it talked about SABLE (stash accumulation beyond life expectancy), and that famous line "just one more row" (or in our case just let me finish this strand, section, etc...). In the book she notes that knitters are "not obsessed, but rather as exquisitely focused in a very narrow direction". She even lists such things as the Ten Commandments for the Traveling Knitter, with among them "Thou shalt pack more than one project for your vacation. You may tire of the one you are planning on knitting. Indeed, no one has ever suffered harm by bringing four or more projects on one trip" See what I mean, switch out knitting, add in stitching, and there you are. Anyway, if you're looking for a cute, fun, and in many cases way to accurate, a read you might want to check it out.

The good news for the week is that I think we've managed to get my older dog Sasha's arthritis under control again. Sasha has been on arthritis medicine for about two years now, and for the most part does pretty good. However a little over a week ago she stopped wanting to go up the stairs to get back in the house. At almost 130 lbs, this is not good as I can't lift her. The side door she normally goes in and out of has 3 relatively steep steps down from the kitchen to the landing and then a sharp turn to go out the side door. Going down she'd do, but she started looking at me like "mom I can't do this" when it came to going back in.

Almost a year ago she had some trouble, so a friend built me a platform for the landing. This gave her one step up, then she could turn, pause, and do the last two steps up. This worked great until last week. At that point, for the most part she didn't want to do it. Either she took forever to go up the two, or we had to walk around the house to the front and use that door (which has only two straighter and shallower steps). This worked OK sometimes. But in the middle of the night if she wanted out she was used to just asking and being let in and out the side. If she wouldn't use the side and only use the front (where the yard isn't fenced like the back) this meant I had to walk around the house with her in the middle of the night in my pajamas. While not fun in the summer at least doable. Come winter and the middle of the night with the snow this was not going to work well.

Needless to say we went to see the vet, and she is now on an additional pain med that she takes in the morning and evening to supplement the other arthritis medicine. She's been on it a week now and is doing so much better. She's in and out the back like the steps are no big deal. She's much happier and so am I. At almost 12 years old, and being so large, she is a retriever/newfoundland mix, I know we are getting close to living on borrowed time. However, she's doing great now and the vet says since she's on the lowest dose of the new meds that we should have a fair amount of room to work with them as far as doses in keeping her comfortable. As long as she's comfortable and happy, we'll just take it day by day and see how it goes.

So, I'll leave you with the above two pictures of my baby taken just after the rain we had. We have a small area of grass, which I've kept watered so it doesn't die as my two dogs love to lay it it. So for your viewing pleasure Sasha, (the above two pictures) what do you think, Happy? I think so. :)

And so she doesn't feel left out my other dog Jazmine, who's almost 11. Although she's a year younger, with all her gray she certainly looks older.

27 Comments:

  • At 9:16 PM , Blogger Katrina in NZ said...

    sounds like a good read, I will have to keep an eye out for it. Another knitting book you might enjoy is the Friday Night Knitting Club, very enjoyable :)

    Your dogs look so happy, thanks for sharing a pic.

     
  • At 10:13 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    I'm glad your doggy is better, my Brutus has hurt his paw, we think it's a sprain, gotta watch his paw says the vet. No grooming for him this week. I knit very little, just started knitting too, only have done a couple of scarfs.
    Donna

     
  • At 10:35 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Sasha and Jazmine are sooo cute! I love the pic of Sasha rolling on her back:) I am glad she is feeling better now.

     
  • At 10:38 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Glad to hear that you got your baby all straightened out. They are great!

     
  • At 10:42 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    The back seat of my truck is very interesting when we go on vacation. One small duffle for clothing, one medium duffle of CDs and two big duffles full of stitching, knitting and reading materials.

    Lord knows, no one wants to travel with me if I am bored!!!!

     
  • At 11:15 PM , Blogger Teejay said...

    I think I just might check into that book. To answer your q on my blog: I plan on doing r is for rabbit (from in the woods) a prairie schooler design, a one or two day stitch. I am also going to work on Girly Gothic in ernest for awhile.

     
  • At 1:59 AM , Blogger Kendra said...

    That book sounds like a good read...I'll have to see if our library has it! Sounds quite applicable, too...I'm all to familiar with startitis and SABLE.

    Wow, your dogs look pretty good for 11 and 12 years old! That's a long life for such large breed dogs! Hopefully they continue to do well and you'll have them around for awhile yet!

     
  • At 4:18 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Looks like you have two very happy and beloved furbabies!

     
  • At 7:32 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    SABLE - LOL that's a new one, very true!
    Cute pictures of sasha and jazmine

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    Oh Sue, how fantastic that you are able to able Sasha out with her arthritis. It must be so rough on her! {{{Hugs}}} The book sounds cool - I might go check into that one!

     
  • At 10:22 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    That sounds like a wonderful book Sue! I'll have to remember that the next time I go to the library.

    Your dogs are so sweet :o) What arthritis meds is Sasha on? Our dog Duncan is really showing his age now and I fear arthritis has been setting in.

     
  • At 2:27 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

    Oh I don't know how to knit. I do it too tight. I'm glad the doggy is better, so cute rolling around.

     
  • At 2:57 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    That book sounds funny! Your dogs look so sweet. I'm glad she's feeling better now, too.

     
  • At 12:13 AM , Blogger Kathryn said...

    Thanks for the furniture suggestion. Yes, we looked at futons, but they have such a "dorm room" feel to me. We did find a wonderful green loveseat that folds out into a full size bed. A bit small for two people to sleep on, but it will look great in the small, small room. And there is a queen sleeper in the living room.

     
  • At 4:21 AM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Those are two beautiful dogs there! They're very lucky to have such a caring mum. :)

     
  • At 1:46 PM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    Sue, I LOVE your dogs!!! Sasha looks healthy and happy, and remind me of my childhood dog. She was our baby and gave us joy for many long years. I'm so glad your animals get such wonderful care. I know you feel you're living with Sasha on borrowed time, but it's worth every dollar and every minute for her comfort and your happiness having her. I truly enjoyed seeing your blog and hope to get back soon. I've been remiss in seeing what my dear friends have going on in their lives. Love ya!

     
  • At 2:16 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Sounds like a fun read! I'm glad your dog is feeling better! It's so tough to watch them suffer. Both of your pups are beautiful!!

     
  • At 4:57 PM , Blogger Erica said...

    If you enjoyed the book, you can read the Yarn Harlot's continuing adventures at:

    http://www.yarnharlot.ca/blog/

    Very funny blog to read - and I can't knit to save my life!

     
  • At 8:59 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Ah Sue, we stitchers are a obsessive lot, no matter which kind of needles we use.

    Your canine fur babies are lovely. I would so love to run my hands through
    Sasha's coat. Her fur looks so thick and warm. Are her toes webbed like a Newfs?

     
  • At 9:05 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I definitely don't knit! My tension was always too tight and I made a mess of things. But the book sounds interesting!

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Awww they are so cute. Lovely pics. Glad you got your baby sorted. xx

     
  • At 1:20 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Great pictures of your puppies! I'm glad Sasha's meds are working out well for her.

    Have you visited Yarn Harlot's blog? I have come to the conclusion that I have definitely reached SABLE (just don't tell anyone ;-)

     
  • At 2:11 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    Sasha and Jazmine are beautiful Sue.

     
  • At 2:45 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Oh Sasha is adorable!!! And I'm so glad that she (and you) are much happier with the new meds.
    And I agree, substitute one hobby for the other and it all works the same.

     
  • At 11:15 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    That book sounds so cute. Glad your puppy is feeling better. It made me think: How does the vet know if the dog is in pain? (Obviously I have no experience in this)

     
  • At 8:11 PM , Blogger Ari_1965 said...

    I like the sound of your vet--Practical and sensible.

     
  • At 6:08 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    Sasha and Jazmine are so adorable: you want to cuddle them! Jam, our golden retriever (almost 13)has a Cushing syndrom. It means that he produces too much cortisone so he doesn't suffer at all. But he's weakening; and the spine doesn't drive the electric influx well so he tends to fall for no reason. Fortunately, there arent stairs to go to the garden (which he needs quite a lot as his syndrom makes him drink huge quantities) because he cant go downstairs anymore. It's heartbreaking to see our dogs get old but as long as they don't suffer, every day is a gift.
    I'm glad that Sasha's pains are under control now.
    Oh, and Jam's head is all white but it's not too visible as he's a clear golden so people never guess he's that old.
    Give Sasha and Jazmine a hug for me.
    Lili

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home