Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Frogs and clovers

I got a good bit of my dishcloth done this past week, although it doesn't much look like what I'd envisioned when I started. While I do like the color, and with its little color speckles, I really can't see the frog design. Maybe it will standout a little better when I get further along, so far all I have in is his lower leg and the start of his back and the toes of his top leg. The green it was originally done on (see picture in my post before this) made it stand out much more. Oh well, I'm enjoying it and am looking on it as a practice piece, the next try I'll get some solid green.

So far it has gone pretty well for a first piece. I think I've done pretty good at keeping the tension even, and I even hit the gauge perfectly when I measured (even though I was told that it wasn't all that important in a dishcloth). Keeping track of the rows has gone smoothly so far too. I'm using my grandmother's stitch counter, and I copied the pattern and mark off rows as well when completed. The most difficult part was in the beginning. I ended up having to cast on three times before on the forth try I had enough tail to get all the stitches in. Then, I ended up having to find a picture of how to purl. I thought I remembered, but when I tried it I kept getting a stitch that looked just like my knit stitch when done. While I was putting the needle in correctly, I'd forgotten to bring the yarn to the front. Thank goodness for online sites. I found a wonderful one that actually had a video clip of the lady doing the stitch so I could see it being done.

The other item I worked on is my secret project, but I'm going to show just a bit of it. If you recognize it don't say what it is from. However, the person it is for, even if she looks at it, won't have a clue what the full piece is so I don't think this tiny clip of what I stitched will hurt. The little flowers were pretty easy, other than making sure I didn't travel any threads that would show through. The eyelets were a bit trickier trying to keep the tension even.

We've had a ton of rain here recently, so everything is green again. I even had to mow yesterday. While I hate mowing, having things green instead of the dead brown parched color they were beginning to get is really nice. I was also lucky in that the storms that hit went around my area, so I didn't get any damage, although there was some heavy damage in many areas relatively close by.

Seems work and life are keeping me busy enough I'm only getting out to blogland about once a week now. So..I'm off now to see what all you've been up to. Given how often some of you post, I imagine it will take me quite a bit to catch up on you all, but I'll get there.

24 Comments:

  • At 7:55 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    The frog would show up better on plain color yarn, but when you are done he may show up just fine.

    The "mystery" project is beautiful so far.

    We finally got a little rain today too. Yeeeeha!

     
  • At 8:39 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    You are doing a great job on your dishcloth! I love the sites that show you in video how to do certain things. It really helped me when learning teh kitchener stitch, what you use when you finish off the toe of a sock. Gotta love the internet!

     
  • At 9:04 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    Brave you to be tackling a knitting project and relearning as you go. I've browsed through knitting blogs occasionally and considered seeing if I could learn to make a few simple things. I love some of the socks that people are knitting, and the wool colours and textures are amazing, but two somewhat expensive hobbies (x-stitch and book collecting) are really all that I can manage. In any case, good luck with the frog. At least with knitting this pattern you really DO want a frog to happen!

    Oh, and I think it's so cool that you're using your Grandma's needles and other equipment to knit with.

    I've been sighing over your new stash. Such pretties. I've got Violets too. Have you seen that Peonies is out now?? I'll be collecting this whole set. I love the cat and mouse too. No surprise there.

    We've finally been getting rain around here too, and the grass which was pretty dead last week is showing signs of green this week. Have the temperatures started to drop yet where you are??? We had nasty heat at the end of the week, but the weekend has cooled off to more pleasant temps.

    How is Sasha doing these days???
    With all that fur your dogs must surely prefer the cooler weather, even if it may be hard on elder dog joints.

    Cheers. Judy

     
  • At 3:57 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    You're doing great on knitting the dishcloth! The mystery project looks very cute, too :)

     
  • At 6:30 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Hang in there I'm sure the frog will show up soon and look just wounderfull. I too have to do all my blog reading once a week due to my work sceduale. Happy stitching on your secret project. Looks good.

     
  • At 8:15 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    Great start on the dishcloth. I see what you mean about the frog but I can pick out some of him :o) Of course, I think it's harder to see from a picture than in real life. Yes, thank goodness for the internet when it comes to getting information! LOL!

    What a lovely delicate piece you are stitching. I can't wait to see the final results :o)

     
  • At 9:27 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Great for a first try at your dish cloths! They are such cute patterns. The next time the pattern might show up better for you with a plain colour? These on-line videos are wonderful!

     
  • At 11:41 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your mystery project is gorgeous Sue.

    I keep thinking about taking up knitting again but I think I have enough on with my cross stitch! LOL!

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    I stitched a blanket once in King Charles Brocade pattern which was a nightmare!!! And you could hardly see the pattern for the same reason - multi coloured wool has a lot to answer for. Yours looks great though and love your wip. xx

     
  • At 1:25 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Whatever your stitching up its going to be pretty!

     
  • At 4:37 PM , Blogger Ari_1965 said...

    Do you collect little cloth dolls, or know someone who does? I have five I will mail to a good home. See my blog beyondmyslab.blogspot.com for pictures

     
  • At 4:43 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Nice dishcloth. Love your mystery stitching too ;)

     
  • At 1:06 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    I really like the color you have chosen for your dishcloth. We could use some rain here in FL.

     
  • At 4:27 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    You are doing great with the dishcloth! The internet sure is great for getting advice eh? Your mystery stitching looks lovely

     
  • At 1:46 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Good job knitting. Lovely Mystery so far!!!

     
  • At 2:46 PM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    Your knitting (is that what its called?) looks lovely. Can't wait to see the frog showing.

    the mystery project is boooo mysterious LOL. Those teeny flowers are lovely. =)

     
  • At 3:51 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    I like the dishcloth! I love seeing people's knitting projects - it brings back happy memories of my watching my mom knit. Now me, oh boy, whenever I try to knit anything, it turns out all uneven and full of holes! Hmm, I have an idea about what the mystery project is, and I can't wait to see if I'm right!

     
  • At 9:51 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    I really like the colors in your practice piece. I read somewhere that if there is a motif in your knitting, then it's best to stay with solid colors, cause the variation colors take away from the design. (Not that I am a knitter...I am jealous of those who can) Still it's pretty. Thank you for your comment on my blog. I have finished the bag. Come see it when you have a chance!

     
  • At 4:54 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    Plain yarn would've shown the frog better, but this yarn is so beautiful... and it's fun trying to figure out the pattern. Besides, I'm sure that when the frog's finished, it will stand out better.
    The little piece of stitching you've shown is exquisite, Sue.
    Take care!
    Lili

     
  • At 11:55 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

    the dishcloth looks great!

     
  • At 10:11 AM , Blogger Mary Ann said...

    Your mystery stitching is lovely! And, I think the dishcloth is looking great! I'm looking forward to seeing the finish.

     
  • At 4:28 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Love the knitting - the pattern shows up better when the picture is clicked for a larger view. And your mystery project looks VERY interesting!!

     
  • At 10:17 AM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    What a pretty dishcloth, wow!

     
  • At 2:42 AM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    I LOVE those knitted dishclothes!!! There is nothing like them for use in the kitchen! Used to make them all the time, and I have tons of Cream & Sugar to make more. You make me want to drag out my cotton yarn and get knitting (if I can remember how).

    Love the little buds and specialty stitches (Algerian eyes?) in your mystery piece. It's going to be a very welcome gift!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home