Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, August 12, 2007

Dragons and stuff

There is definitely a learning curve on framing. A while back I framed Winter Welcome, and as part of the backing I used some cardboard I had. The way I put it together the brownish color of the backing kind of showed through the loose weave of the dark blue linen. I was out doing some other stuff and in the scrapbooking section saw the scrapbooking sheets of paper, and one was in a lovely dark blue. I picked some up and when I got home took Winter Welcome apart and put the dark blue paper behind the linen so that the dark blue of the linen and the backing directly behind it was pretty much the same color. It looks so much better to me now. I won't post another picture, as you can't really see the difference in a picture, but it looks a lot nicer to me now as I don't keep focusing on the dusky brownish color that kind of showed through before.

As to Peaches, still haven't done the finishing of it so it's still in my pile to do something with. This weekend was kind of hectic so didn't get out to look at frames and such. I had an earlier question on Peaches as to what fabric I used, it was done on 28 ct. Antique White Monaco. While this doesn't give as much of an interesting background as a lot of other fabrics, it is easy to see and work on and has a nice feel to it. It is a little heavier than other fabrics too, which in the past has worked out really nice when I was doing something that was to be put in a tuck pillow.

Sasha is still doing great on her new meds, it is so wonderful to see her happy and comfortable. The medicine she is on now is Metacam (for arthritis) which she gets in the evening and Tramadol (additional for pain, kind of like a doggy aspirin) that she gets in the morning and evening. Jazmine is just on the Metacam. Medacam is liquid, and Tramadol is a tiny little tablet, neither is a tasty chewable like some other meds in the past have been so......they get them tucked into rolls. The Medacam gets squirted into a soft roll, so when they get that it is kind of like a jelly roll. The Tramadol gets rolled into a piece of bread or roll so that it is again like a little donut shape. Needless to say they love getting their meds and think that it is treat time.

Work is still busy, and I'm pretty drained when I get home. By the time I take care of all the critters and do what needs to be done it is pretty much time to crash to do it all over again the next day. Therefore not a whole lot of stitching has been getting done. My DD has been asking on how I'm doing on her Flower Dragons, and after getting "ummmmmmm haven't really touched it recently" to many times she reminded me I'd promised to work on it at least once a week and I was getting pretty far behind. So instead of starting a new project I've put some time into Dragons. I totally underestimated the size of the project when I got the pattern. The picture doesn't make it look that big, however, in actuality the pattern is over 12 pages, lots of colors, and on 32 count it will be about 15" by 24" when finished.

The first picture is what it looked like in my last post. The second picture is what it looks like now that I've filled out some on the wings of the first dragon, but it still pretty much looks like a spiky blue blob. I'm about 3/4ths of the way finished with page 1.

This is what it will look like done, so far I still think it looks good on the Gold Dust fabric we picked. All the pictures are clickable, and the current progess picture shows the hint of the sparkle in the fabric actually fairly good for a change. The real test will be when the flower starts to go in, and also the pink on the one dragons chest and the underside of the tail. Hopefully the colors still work as I really don't want to have to try and adjust the colors to something else, especially with my DD not here to give her opinion on what I'm changing.

Well I'm off to run errands, I'm going to try and catch up with all the blogs I'm behind on later tonight.

23 Comments:

  • At 2:25 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    I'm glad to hear the dogs are doing well and you like the improvement you made to your framing job!

    This piece will be very pretty!!

     
  • At 3:46 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Glad to hear that Sasha has improved. And to be able to do your own framing! Wish I knew how, it would save a lot of expense. The Flower Dragons is a really neat piece. I think the pink will probably look fine on that fabric.

     
  • At 5:47 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    Flower Dragons is very pretty.

     
  • At 5:54 PM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    I can't read your blog because my son is bothering me LOL, but from what i can see you are making great progress on your WIP.

    Actually the only kanji on my design is the word love, the one that is there now, the other ones are done in backstitch and in english, because the japanese can speak/read english and filipino =)

    Saw the part where your work is hectic, I'm so sorry and i hope it soon gets better for you. take care and thanks for stopping by my blog.

     
  • At 7:53 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    I am glad you like the framed piece better now. I hope Sasha continues to do well. FD is a stunning piece. Hope you get more stitching time in soon.

     
  • At 9:17 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Hi Sue,

    It's good to hear that Sasha is responding well to her meds. Did you know that Newfs are one of only three dog breeds that are Canadian? And yes, they do have webbed toes. They are wonderful dogs.

    I've not seen the pattern for Flower Dragons anywhere before. It's very pretty. Love the colours in it. Are you using DMC threads?

    Take it easy when you can. It's always a pleasure to have you visit. Cheers!

     
  • At 11:38 PM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Good to hear things are going well!
    The Flower Dragon looks like it will be very pretty.

     
  • At 11:57 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Glad the fur babies are doing better. Flower Dragons looks wonderful:)

     
  • At 2:33 AM , Blogger Michele said...

    ahhh so glad to hear the meds are working :) my dad had two chocolate labs, the oldest takes a liquid med in the am .. he injects it into a donut hole lol .. and of course even the "well" dog gets a treat too lol

    Flower Dragons looks incredible! Congrats on picking it back up :)

     
  • At 5:46 AM , Blogger Chiloe said...

    That dragon is going to look stunning when it will be finished !!! It's worth it to work on it more than a day a week ;-) I'm going to follow your progress day by day ;-) :-))

     
  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Ok that project will be big! It looks like you have alot done, until you look at the picture. And what a great idea to use scrapbook paper. Plus it should be acid free paper so its probably better to have that up against your project instead of the cardboard.

     
  • At 9:32 AM , Blogger Pumpkin said...

    I've heard of people using the colored foam core when framing their pieces although I don't believe we can purchase that around here :o( So far, all of mine have worked so far.

    That's wonderful that Sasha is doing better :o)

    I never really looked closely at this design before but now I see the little dragons! They are adorable :o) That is going to be a huge project though. LOL!

     
  • At 10:15 AM , Blogger Stitcher S said...

    Glad the pups are doing well!

    Flower Dragons is very lovely, indeed.

    Sue

     
  • At 1:45 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Your WIP is coming along great, blogs are such a great way to track your progress eh? Especially for your own motivation on big pieces.

     
  • At 9:18 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Glad your puupies are better. They are our other children! Those flower dragons are gonna be awesome when finished!
    Donna

     
  • At 6:11 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    The fabric is really lovely and your stitches are so dainty! I would also feel a little discouraged by a twelve pages pattern...
    Take care, Sue!
    Lili

     
  • At 1:52 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    How wonderful that Sasha is doing better. The flower dragon is a lovely project and I like how blues show up on the fabric you chose.

     
  • At 1:54 PM , Blogger Sally said...

    What a beautiful design Flower Dragons is. Looking forward to watching this one grow:)

     
  • At 8:18 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    How nice of the doggies to take their medicine so well! A 12 page pattern does sound a little daunting but you are off to a great start. Its going to be big one but so pretty! And how wonderful that you can do some of your own framing.

     
  • At 1:29 PM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Glad to hear the doggies have improved. Think animals are worse then men when it comes to being sick. The improvment on you framed pice sounds good. Love the progress you have made. I know the felling about being drained after work. Thank goodness for me it's just 3-4 days a week. Happy stitching.

     
  • At 4:41 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    great idea on Winter Welcome with the background!

     
  • At 10:48 AM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Actually putting the scrapbooking paper on top of your cardboard might of been a smart move as I understand all scrapbooking supplies are acid free, whereas cardboard isn't. I always use acid free foam core for all my stretching.. for a dark colour like that I'd either buy a black piece or put a piece of mat board on top of the foam core... or you could stretch a piece of fabric first then put your piece over that.

    Even a little progress is good progress!

     
  • At 12:38 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    Wow, that looks like it'll be huge! I'm so glad your doggies are doing better!

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home