Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Welcome and Circus update

Hmmm seems I'll post a bit on the circus first, as that seems to be a really popular topic at the moment as a great number of my comments asked what my DD was doing with the circus. Well it isn't using what she got her degree in, which was a dual major of Psychology and Legal Studies, unless you count the psychology helping to get along with and work with so many personality types and nationalities. She's made the comment that with all the different people that work there it is like a mini United Nations. My DD has always loved learning about different cultures and things, so she's really enjoying meeting so many different people. While the people that work in administration, concessions, and such are pretty much from the United States, even then there are a lot of different ethnic groups represented. However, the performers come from all over the world. This also has the side benefit that she says there is some wonderful food available on occasion. While my DD doesn't cook, she loves all different types of food, and when the different people in the circus cook it can represent a lot of different cuisines (sp?). She called the other evening and she was eating some type of meat pie that someone had made, I think it may have been Russian, and she said it was wonderful. She was going to see if she can place an order for a pie when they make them the next time (some of the people cook and sell the extras).

As to what she's doing, at the moment she is in the concessions group (there are three main groups, concessions, props, and performers). She's kind of the wardrobe administrator. She makes sure costumes get to who needs them, that they are collected at the end of the day, and that they stay in repair. She'll find a dry cleaners when they get to the different cities that can pick up and clean the outfits quickly. She also helps to make sure the different food, photo booths, etc.. are set up and ran during the various performances. There's other stuff too, but that seems to be the bulk of it. The only problem is, my DD is not a desk/office type personality, she likes to be doing things. So..needless to say it is not a great fit at the moment. She'd really like to transfer to props (putting up, taking down, building, painting, etc...) as she'd enjoy that more. One of the biggest draws was the ability to travel all over the country and see the different cities and states that she's never visited before. So far she's enjoying that aspect. I wouldn't like all the travel and living out of a tiny room in a train, but I'm not the one doing it so I'm really trying to see it from her view. It's her life and she's happy traveling around so I'm trying to be happy for her. However, as a mom I'd really like better to see her settle in one spot with a more traditional and settled job. However, as she says she's healthy, relatively happy, and independent, so I should look at it as having done an ok job by her and let go a little. Easier said than done though, LOL.

As to stitching, I've been working on Winter Welcome by Country Cottage Needleworks. I don't think it looks like I've gotten much done, but then part of it is that I've redone the lettering a couple of times. The original pattern had the lettering in dark brown (the color of the roof), which would look ok on the original fabric color, but on my dark blue didn't seem to work as well. The next color I tried was a variegated blue, which while it looked lovely (but then I pretty much think anything blue is lovely) really didn't seem to give it the effect that I wanted. So then I tried it using a variegated that had kind of a yellow/green tone. While I don't like the color itself as well as the blue I had, I do think the color goes better with this piece. Once I finally got a color I liked for the wording I was able to move on. Hopefully the rest will go smoothly as far as colors. I don't think there is anything else that I'll have to potentially change around. I really do like it on the darker fabric, but changing the colors has been a challenge for me, and quite a learning experience.

33 Comments:

  • At 8:05 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Ohh! This piece is coming along fabulous. I love the colors. The best of luck to your DD.

     
  • At 8:56 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Love your Winter Welcome, you sure were persistent on that lettering ;)

     
  • At 9:55 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Winter Welcome looks wonderful! I like your colour changes.

    I'm glad to hear your DD is happy!

     
  • At 9:59 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    It looks wondeful!

     
  • At 10:39 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Sounds like it will really be a learning experience for your DD. Glad to hear that she is enjoying it. Your Winter Welcome is looking great. I'm partial to blues myself but your colour change looks good.

     
  • At 11:27 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    Glad your daughter is happy, that's all that matters, your Winter Welcome looks great!
    Donna

     
  • At 5:16 AM , Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

    Sounds like the circus job is going great! Ask her if she can get a Russian meat pie for me too, and send it on, lol. It sounded yummy!

    Your winter welcome is really cute. I've been thinking about starting all my christmassy things this week so I'm drawn to all things 'Wintery', hahah. Nice work!

     
  • At 5:40 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Winter Welcome looks fantastic Sue.

    It sounds as though your DD will have a fantastic experience with the circus.

     
  • At 6:54 AM , Blogger Little Grey Cat said...

    Winter Welcome is really pretty. I love the glowing lights at the windows - it really does look so welcoming.

    I can see where you're coming from with your daughter. I don't think I would be too keen if it were my son doing that. BUT, if she is enjoying it and getting all those great experiences, it's got to be good, yes?

     
  • At 8:18 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    The piece is looking lovely! I really like it set on a wintery dark sky color fabric.

    The circus sounds like a wonderful experience!

     
  • At 8:48 AM , Blogger Susieq said...

    The color changes are perfect with the dark material. Looking great.

     
  • At 9:15 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    It looks great. I think the yellow worked well for the Welcome.

    As for the charm --- I just bought a bunch of those. They are cute.

     
  • At 9:50 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

    Thanks for filling us in on what your daughter is doing. It sounds like so much fun.

    Winter Welcome is coming along nicely.

     
  • At 10:45 AM , Blogger Margaret said...

    Thanks for your anniversary wishes Sue - those 32 years have flown by.
    'Winter Welcome' looks so very welcoming and you must be pleased with your color changes.
    Love the birthday gift Carol stitched for you. I can well understand how it made your day.
    Glad to hear your daughter is well and that she's enjoying this great adventure.

     
  • At 11:07 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Oooh I like it and I like the way you have made all the windows different. Very unique. So amazing about your dd. Never thought they'd let "outsiders" so to speak in the circus. Hope she gets some pics for us all to see. xx

     
  • At 11:52 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Speaking from experience, it's a lot easier and lot more rewarding to settle down after having travelled, especially if you're a person for whom the travel experience is important. I got a later start on having a family and stuff, but I enjoy it SO much more!! :D

    Love your Winter Welcome. Your final choice for the lettering was inspired. It looks great!

     
  • At 4:10 PM , Blogger Mary Ann said...

    I love your Winter Welcome--it's looking great!

     
  • At 8:19 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    Winter Welcome does look like you are making progress! I know for sure you are making better progress than I! Thank you for your comment on my blog today. (7/15) I'm going to try to remember before and after pictures to share. We'll see.
    I am remembering my days as a commercial fisher(uh)person while you are writing about your daughters job with the circus. I feel excited for her, I loved that style of life when I was in my 20' and I know my mom was feeling like you do now. I just made sure I called her A LOT, to make her feel better about it. She'll have a lot of wonderful memories when she does finally settle into a more traditional lifestyle.

     
  • At 3:12 AM , Blogger xstitch.nl said...

    Your Winter Welcome looks wonderful on that dark fabric!! I really like it!

     
  • At 8:47 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Your winter welcome looks fabulous.

     
  • At 11:45 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Winter Welcome looks wonderful, Sue. I can totally understand your mixed feelings about your daughter's decision. *Hugs*

     
  • At 5:57 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Winter Welcome is coming along so nicely, especially with your changes.
    You sound very wistful talking about your DD. I can imagine how hard it must be to understand her choices.

     
  • At 7:57 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Good wishes to DD. Let her fly and explore as she is still young and has time to settle down.This is hard I know but we gotta do it. The WIP looks great.

     
  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger Beatrice said...

    Thanks for commenting on my Blog...It's fun meeting new stitching friends.

    Your Winter Welcome is lovely.

    The TW castle is one of her easier ones so I hear. Go for it!!

     
  • At 9:22 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    How much do you have left on this piece? Its beautiful!!!

    And what an interesting job dd has. Let's hope she can transfer to something she prefers. Does she have to wait 6 months?

     
  • At 11:29 AM , Blogger Hannah said...

    I think it is an amazing experience for your DD.

    You Winter Welcome is looking great! I really like the lettering.

     
  • At 11:33 AM , Blogger Ms Kayle said...

    Your Winter Welcome looks great. It never works out for me so well when I go changing colors. It seemed to work fine for you. Though you did put a lot of work and frogging into it from the sounds of it.
    Ms Kayle

     
  • At 9:37 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Winter Welcome is so pretty, and especially so on the dark blue fabric. Do you find it difficult to stitch on a dark material, compared to working on a light coloured material??

    Thanks for the info on your daughter's job with the circus. I'll bet that she'll love the traveling for awhile, but eventually she'll realize that she wants a place to put down roots and build a life. Meanwhile, she's seeing the country and enjoying lots of new experiences.

    Cheers

     
  • At 12:58 PM , Blogger Sue said...

    Winter Welcome is very cozy and pretty!

    I am happy that your DD is happy.

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Your Winter Welcome looks very nice. Your fiber choices are awesome.

    I want to leave home & join the circus, too LOL!

     
  • At 3:31 PM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    The colours in Winter Welcome look great! Your daughters job sounds fascinating, I can understand your concern though, it's certainly different :)

     
  • At 5:05 PM , Blogger Jamie said...

    Happy belated birthday. I love this LHN design. Thank you for your kind words on my blog - they truly warm my heart.

     
  • At 11:22 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    I really enjoyed the update on your DD's experience with the circus. I'm glad she's enjoying it.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home