Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Friday, July 27, 2007

Dragons, and Kitties, and Framing (oh my)

The Dragon, Kitties, and Framing you'll understand from my next couple of pictures. The "oh my" I couldn't resist adding after the Wizard of Oz, as I went to see the musical Wicked last Sunday. It was awesome. I think it was the best play I've seen in quite a while, and I really enjoyed the different spin they put on the "wicked" witch in it. I was lucky to get to see it, as we got tickets when they first came out. The production ended up selling out every showing and filled so quickly that they booked it already for next year to come through again. I originally was going to see it with my DD, but as she has ran off to join the circus and is currently running around in Texas I asked my DSIL Kim if she wanted to go, we both had a wonderful time.

In addition to going to see the play, I received a wonderful stitchy birthday present from Kim, she made me this gorgeous tin to hold my stitching goodies. It is longer than normal (it is a Whitman's tin) so my scissors, magnetic needle finder, highlighter, etc... all fit easily. My Boo Boo stick doesn't quite fit, but if I was going somewhere and wanted to take it I could bend the tip a little and then that would fit in there too. The pattern is one of the Gemstone Dragons by Dragon Dreams. The original colors were a red dragon holding a red ruby (my birthstone), but Kim, knowing how much I love blues and thinking the red dragon with the red stone made the stone a bit hard to see on the tin, changed the colors on the dragon to the blues. I think she did a fantastic job and dearly love my little dragon.

Next up in the line to show off is my finished and framed Winter Welcome by CCN. I was thinking of taking it to the framers to be finished, but as I'd just done that recently with a couple of other pieces that wasn't going to happen for a while. Since I really liked how this turned out I didn't want to wait to have it framed so I could hang it and enjoy looking at it. I know it is a little out of season, but I don't care, plus with the heat lately it is fun looking at a "cool" picture. I lucked out on the framing. I started looking at Michaels and fell in love with this frame. The plain style seems to compliment the piece, some of the other fancier frames seemed to overwhelm it. In addition, I had a 40% off coupon I could use on the frame, and the mat was a stock mat so I didn't have to try and cut one (which I can't do). All together it only cost about $15 to frame, I was thrilled. The only problem I had was that the mat didn't fit into the back of the frame, the outside diameter was to big. Fortunately my mom had a cutter and could cut the mat down a bit for me so that it fit. The tricky part though was centering my piece, with the border it kept wanting to go squiggly on me, so seemed to take forever to get reasonably straight. It still is a little off (and if you look closely you can see that the door in the house squiggles a bit too), but I figure unless I really look close every time (and no one else probably will either) it isn't so noticeable as to bother me. Another issue was that I didn't have a lot of material on the top and bottom to be able to lace it, and the tension when I tried really started to pull the fabric out quite badly (even on the sides where I had plenty of material to work with it started to pull out). This material really has not been nice to work with, but I may have mentioned that before, LOL. Anyway, I ended up pinning it around the cardboard backing. It still isn't totally straight, but I can live with it and am enjoying having it hanging up.

My last picture is my new WIP. It took me a little bit to figure out what I wanted to work on, but not to long. I thought about working on one of my existing WIP's, but none really appealed to me right now. Two of my WIP's, well one is really a UFO, are on dark fabric, and I'd had enough of that for a while. Also, wanted something I didn't have to concentrate on to hard as work and life are pretty busy right now, so that let out Flower Dragons and Garfield (for me backstitching is to much concentration). I've had Peaches by LHN in my stash for a while as I love the colors and the little cats in it, so pulled that out. So far I'm loving it, it is going along smoothly and the 28ct Monaco I'm doing it on is quite nice to work on (especially compared to that dratted blue linen I just got done with).

Well I've rambled on long enough, if you're still reading I appreciate it. I love all your comments and want you to know how much I appreciate each and every one of my visitors, thanks so much for stopping by.

30 Comments:

  • At 8:47 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Beautiful tin you received and the framing on your Winter Welcome is awesome ;)

     
  • At 10:37 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    what a beautiful tin you recived. I love the frame and mat you chose for your piece. It came out great!

     
  • At 2:28 AM , Blogger Teejay said...

    Next time you want to frame your own needlework, maybe this tip will help:
    I measure the opening of the frame or mat or item then I measure the design (where the stitching stops) of the needlework, first lenghtwise and then width or visa versa, I then subtract the latter from the former and divide that in two-- this is how much fabric space should be between the mat and the design on each side lengthwise or width, I mark the back of the fabric with pen where the edge of the mat should meet it. I use foam or flat mounting board cut to fit the frame (found at most hobby stores including Michaels) and with my fabric laying face down, I stick the sticky part of the mounting board to the back side of the fabric lining up each edge of the board with my markings (one on each of the four sides), sometimes I have to make minor adjustments to get it very straight, I then tape the remaining fabric to the back of the mounting board... hope this will help in the future. btw, your piece looks great, it looks like it was professionally framed, kudos.

     
  • At 8:20 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    I'm so glad you found a fun companion to see the play - sorry you couldn't go with your daughter, but it sounds like your DSIL was good company. :)

    Winter looks great framed! You did a super job!! And I like your new project very much - lovely colors!

     
  • At 8:27 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    What a cute tin from Kim.

    Winter Welcome looks beautiful in the frame and mat you chose. I would display it all year too:)

    Love your new WIP.

     
  • At 9:23 AM , Blogger xstitch.nl said...

    That's a great tin!! And the framed Winter Welcome is beautiful!!

     
  • At 10:11 AM , Blogger Susieq said...

    I stretch all of my pieces, and it is tricky to get everything straight. You did a good job, and the frame and mat are perfect for it.

     
  • At 11:22 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Sounds like a great show! And the tin is just adorable!! Great job framing Winter Welcome! It looks like a pro had at it!

    I'm loving the colors in your new piece.

     
  • At 11:27 AM , Blogger Dawn said...

    I love the tin! It is so cute:) Winter Welcome is beautiful with the frame:)

    have a good weekend!

     
  • At 11:54 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    You did a fabulous job with your framing. I love the mat colors you chose.

    The dragon...well, he's just adorable!

     
  • At 1:38 PM , Blogger Crazee4books said...

    Winter Welcome looks awesome in that frame, with the mats being a perfect accent to the colours in the picture. Very well done.

    The tin that your DSIL stitched and made up for you is beautiful and I'm sure will get a lot of use. Um...what's a Boo Boo stick???

    I've heard nothing but raves about the musical Wicked. My friend saw it and just adored it. I'm going to have to order the CD cast recording and give it a listen. The show has been to Toronto twice now in the past year, and if it comes again I may have to try and see it.

    Cheers!

     
  • At 2:26 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    The Winter Welcome turned out splendidly!

     
  • At 6:04 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    That's a great round of finishes there! The tin is just adorable - a perfect gift to receive. I really like your framing on Winter Welcome. I do the same thing, buy a frame and add the mat board. It's so much cheaper! Especially on smaller stitches. Have fun with your new WIP.

     
  • At 6:06 PM , Blogger BlissxStitches said...

    I'm glad you enjoyed 'Wicked'. I read the book & thought it a blast. The stitching looks great too.

     
  • At 12:48 AM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Beautiful tin. You did a wonderful frame job. It looks great. I have heard that play "Wicked" is good.

     
  • At 6:33 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    All are beautiful.

     
  • At 8:41 AM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Wow everything looks fantastic!!!!

     
  • At 10:51 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    LOL I had to laugh when you mention your daughter ran off to join the circus. She LITERALLY did that!! The tin is beautiful, the winter welcome is beautiful and the next project you have out is also looking really nice. I cant wait to see it progress along.

    And Wicked sounds really neat. I saw a play called Into The Woods where it picked up *after* several fairy tales end. Some prinesses arent that good and some of the witches arent that bad!!

     
  • At 1:52 PM , Blogger Carol said...

    Your framed piece is beautiful! Great work AND framing! I have a question..I notice you use the Q-Snaps, as I do...love them. But it looks like you put yours on "inside out"...?? Am I doing mine the wrong way? And it looks like kitty fabric or something under the snaps? Is that to protect the linen? I'm intrigued!

     
  • At 4:10 PM , Blogger Carol said...

    What a fantastic gift!!! And your framing is just perfect too!

     
  • At 6:34 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    I love the frame you chose for Winter Welcome! And what a cute birthday present!

     
  • At 2:10 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Gorgeous tin and love your new wip. Winter welcome looks great framed too. xx

     
  • At 2:23 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    You did a great job with the framing, it looks perfect to me! I have to get my DH to help me with framing as i never have enough patience. It takes me ages to get the piece straight!
    Your dragon tin is fab, what a fab gift and good choice on the new WIP :)

     
  • At 5:23 PM , Anonymous June said...

    What a pretty tin! I think the blue dragon looks great. Winter looks fantastic framed - love both the mat and frame.

    Another pretty start to keep my eye on! :)

     
  • At 6:47 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    I saw Wicked in New York, it was awesome! I tried reading the novel, but the beginning was so off from the play that I put the book down. Your Winter Wonderland looks great!
    Donna

     
  • At 10:06 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    The tin is so pretty!

     
  • At 3:57 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    Winter welcome is absolutely gorgeous!!!

     
  • At 12:24 AM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    The tin is fantastic. The dragon is just the perfect guard for your treasures. =)

    The framing you did is very professional. 2 thumbs up!! Congratulations =)

     
  • At 4:39 AM , Blogger Kitty said...

    I love the tin, and you Winter Welcome looks lovely in that frame :)

     
  • At 11:18 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    The dragon tin is adorable. WW looks really great framed up! :)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home