Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, June 23, 2007

Phoenix and Dragons

Boy the last week has flown by. I've been very busy at work, and it seems like a lot of stuff has been going on at home as well. With everything I've had going, something had to give, so I'm a little behind in my blogging and visiting yours. I'm planning on visiting blogs this evening and tomorrow, so I'll be able to catch up with what all you have been doing. While I didn't get much blogging done, I have gotten some stitching done.

Flower Dragons, which I'm doing for my DD, actually got started. The fabric we ordered came in, so we finished getting it all kitted up to work on. The actual color was a little darker than what she wanted, so we washed (and soaked) it several times in really hot water to try and lighten it a bit. It worked great, so the final color is a little lighter than Gold Dust would have been, but so far seems to be working well with the blues of the dragon. There are also some sparkles in the fabric, but they don't show up very well in this picture. However, all my pictures are clickable to make them bigger, and the color (and sparkles) can be seen better then (as well as the beading on the Phoenix).

It was a little bit of a surprise though once I started stitching it on how big it will be. I know I did the measurements, but actually seeing it now that it is started is making it more real. When done this is what it will look like The full pattern is over 12 pages, which is larger than any I've done before, so will be a challange. I've seen several people mention when they are working on the large multipage patterns that they start at the top and work down to keep it straight, so I'm starting in the top left corner. Due to its size, I'm doing it on my scroll frame rather than my normal Q's. It's been a long time since I've worked on anything besides Q's, but so far it seems to be going well.

The other fun thing that has happened this week is my DD finished her piece, Phoenix. I think she did a wonderful job. The Phoenix is her own design. While I keep trying to interest her in crossstitch, so far she hasn't been interested in learning, trying to follow a pattern has no appeal to her. She loves the finished pieces, and has picked out dozens of pattens for me to do, but has no patience in trying to do the detail. However, she is very creative. She pictured what she wanted, and after raiding my stash for some fabric, floss, metallics, and beads, just started stitching. She never charted anything out, just stitched as she went. I love how it looks finished, and she had a lot of fun doing it.

On a final note, I did get some fun stash. I ordered Tribal Gecko from Sparklies. I got the kit, which came with the pattern, floss and Gecko Lugana. My DD has two leopard gecko's, so this was a perfect pattern for her. She saw it and agreed, so it made its way into my stash. The internet is so great, you can see a pattern you love that was designed and produced somewhere else in the world and in a couple clicks of a button, it is winging its way to you. It really is a small world.

Both Dogs of Duckport and Phoenix are getting framed, so in my next post hopefully I'll have pictures of them all finished up. Well I'm off to visit you all in blogland, hope you're all having a wonderful weekend.

28 Comments:

  • At 9:26 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    You've made a nice start on your piece. It's going to look so nice on that fabric, and i'm glad to hear that you were able to lighten the color.

     
  • At 9:44 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Great start! I just love the gecko! Very cute:)

    Congrats to DD for an awesome job:)

     
  • At 11:52 PM , Blogger Ranae said...

    Wow! great start on FD. your DD done a fabulous job on Phoenix. I never heard of Sparlies before Thanks for the link. The butterfly kits are neat too. I just might have to order something, lol. Will watch for the framed pieces.

     
  • At 1:18 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    I love the start of Flower Dragons. The fabric is really pretty.
    Your daughter is very talented. I tried to get my DD to do some of her artwork with a sort of guide and she just can't do it. All of her drawings have to come from her head and hands. (or maybe it's heart and hands)She has looked at pictures of different things and then gone with her own version. I say let the creativity reign! The Phoenix is fantastic!

     
  • At 1:55 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    I love that Gecko lugana :-)

     
  • At 8:49 AM , Blogger Redwitch said...

    Flower Dragons is going to be amazing, good tip about washing the fabric to lighten it, I've never tried that. Your daughter's Pheonix is just amazing, it's so clever to just create like that without a pattern! And how apt to stitch a Gecko on Gecko fabric :)

     
  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger Carto said...

    Hey there Sweetie!

    I'm glad you checked out my friend's site. The Gecko and the Butterfly designs are on my 'To Do' list - so much stitching and so little time! lol

    And what a very talented DD you have there - what a cracking design! and very striking too - brilliant job! x

     
  • At 10:52 AM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    Loving the unique the gecko! How cool! It's going to be wonderful on that fabric! Also, your DD is quite talented in her stitching without as much as a guideline of any osrt. That is so artistic! She should enter that in some competition or art display.

     
  • At 10:52 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    Phoenix is beautiful. Your daughter is very talented.

     
  • At 11:51 AM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Flower Dragons is off to a good start. The design of your daughter's is very pretty and unique ;)

     
  • At 12:26 PM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Great start on Flower Dragons! The fabric is very pretty! I really love the tribal gecko kit, too.

    Wow to your daughter's piece! It's beautiful! She has a wonderful artistic eye.

     
  • At 1:42 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Hi Sue! Flower Dragons is going to be soooo gorgeous!!! You've made a lovely start and I love the fabby you chose! :-)

    My, but you've been busy whilst I was MIA! Dogs is beautiful and Garfield is coming along nicely... not to worry, you'll have him out of your hair and gracing your fridge before long! ;-)

    Lovely start on your Cottage SAL... I love that design... haven't got it yet, but seeing yours makes me want it yesterday! lol

    Thanks for thinking of me, Hun! Your sweet thoughts and wishes and your emails helped cheer me up so much! I don't know when I'll catch up with everything... like you said, I'm trying not to over-do it...

    I'm going to put my feet up and stitch this afternoon as it's back to work tomorrow and it doesn't even feel like I've had the weekend off... I'm that tired! lol

    {{{Hugs}}}

     
  • At 1:44 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Oh, good grief! I forgot to tell you how beautiful your daughter's Phoenix is! :-) She's a very talented lady... has she given any thought to designing cross stitch? :-) Can't wait to see it framed!

     
  • At 11:14 PM , Blogger Chiasmata said...

    Good luck with Flower Dragons. :) Big charts are a challenge, but they're a blast to finish. Your daughter is very creative, stitching the ye old fashioned way! Beautiful work. That gecko is soon to make it onto my wishlist, me'thinks.

     
  • At 3:33 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Really neat stuff! I love how your daughter's phoenix came out - too cool! And that tribal gecko ... love it!

     
  • At 7:46 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    I like the colors of this new start. It should be very preaty when done.

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Flower Dragons is going to be a gorgeous piece! And congrats to your daughter on finishing her own design - its awesome!

     
  • At 8:56 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Love your new start, sure sounds like a big piece! Your daughter is very talented indeed!

     
  • At 11:51 AM , Blogger Lucy said...

    That is so cool that your DD designs her own projects...good for her! Great job!

     
  • At 5:46 PM , Anonymous June said...

    You made a good start on the Flower Dragons. That is such an interesting design - looking forward to seeing your progress on it.

    The Gecko is going to be a nice one too, especially on that nice fabric!

    Your DD did a great job on Phoenix - well done to her. :)

     
  • At 6:22 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Great start on your dragons the blues are going to be fantastic!

    Your daughter's Pheonix is pretty cool.

    Oooh love the gecko fabric

     
  • At 10:47 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Great start on FD. I love the look of the blues! Your daughter's piece is just awesome. I wish I had that much creativity!

     
  • At 7:01 AM , Blogger Kitty said...

    So glad the kit arrived safely, and thanks for the plug :) It's hard to get the word out when you're new to the selling business.

    I love the Phoenix, that's one talented daughter you have there.

     
  • At 7:36 PM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    Girl, you andyour gecko's :-D

    Love your new start, those blue's come up brilliantly on that gold fabbie indeed! yey!

     
  • At 10:31 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    I like what you've done so far, I NEVER would have thought to wash and soak the fabric to get it lighter. VERY good!@@ And I LOVE what your dd made. OMG all that w/o a chart?!? I can make some changes but I need to have something to start with!! She did fantastic!! BTW what did you end up choosing for your window?

     
  • At 5:35 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    The close up on the flower dragons is impressive: you're doing dainty stitches, and there are different colours that were not visible when not clicked. This is going to be a challenge indeed. A very beautiful one.
    The gecko design is great too, not to mention the fabric...
    And your DD has done a fabulous job on the phoenix. The way she has worked on it is exactly how an artist works. She is undeniably creative!
    What have you finally decided for the windows? You can't ask us and then not let us know! lol!!!
    Take care, Sue!
    Lili

     
  • At 8:23 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Your off to a beautiful start-loving the colors. Your DD did a great job on phoenix-very pretty and different.

     
  • At 9:46 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Great start. What an interesting design. Your dd's piece is great. She is very creative and somehow I think it is better to be like that than follow charts lol. I follow charts because I am so not creative. Say a big well done to your dd from me. xx

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home