Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, June 10, 2007

I'm so bad - Startitis

Ok, so in my previous post I said I had decided on which LHN project I was going to do for the Cottage SAL they were having, Winter Welcome. I had it all kitted up and ready to start on the 21st, the first day of the SAL.

I should have known that having it all kitted up when I was excited about it was probably not the best thing to have done, at least not this far in front of the start date. Needless to say, the startitis bug bit with it just sitting there looking at me. It probably didn't help that I was just coming off the last couple of weeks spent backstitching Dogs of Duckport and so my other focus was going to be backstitching Garfield (have I mentioned I hate backstitching, LOL). Or, that since the material we ordered for Flower Dragons (the project for my daugher) isn't here so I can't start that one either to ease the startitis bug.

Anyway, startitus bit, my new project called, and here is what I have done I have most of the house done now and am really loving it on the darker fabric. So far the colors I'm using seem to work fine other than the Whitewash by WDW that I thought I would use instead of the regular white. It looks ok for the house, but when I started to use if for snow it just wasn't crisp enough. Whitewash is kind of cream with a hint of darker shades. It works ok for the house, where you would have a bit of differentiation anyway in real life, but it kind of made the snow that I put in look dirty. If you look close at the house, under the right lights, you can see the hint of darkness (almost like the floss smudged) in the small part of the door between the windows. You can also see it in the hank of floss if you go to my previous entry, click on the picture to make it bigger, and then look at the Whitewash there. Not really obvious or distracting for the house, and I think it looks ok for house shading, but not what I want for the snow. So..snow will be done with regular DMC white with a bit of blending filament to make it sparkle.

The one color I'm still not set on is for in the windows. All the ones I picked earlier were yellow. However, Lili mentioned in her post that using one with a bit of orange to it might make it warmer. I've narrowed the window color down now to two colors, the 677 from my original group, and the 3855, which has a touch of orange to it from Lili's comment. Looking at them laid of the fabric, I think I like the 3855 best. What do you all think?

Here's a picture of what the pattern looks like. So far, as with my previous LHN one Chocolate Shoppe, I'm really enjoying it. Also, as an added plus, there is no backstitch that will need to be done when the rest of the stitching is finished (see above comment regarding my opinion on backstitching). My only problem is that at this rate, unless I can keep my hands off it between now and the 21st, I'll have enough done that I'll need to pick something else for the stitchalong. Hmmm, maybe I need to go back through my stash again just in case for ideas. :)

Well it is bright and sunny out today, so I need to get out and get errands done. Hope you're all having a wonderful weekend.

23 Comments:

  • At 3:03 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

    I thought you might be interested in this project which uses WDW Whitewash for snow.

    http://threadsofdesire.blogspot.com/2007/02/first-finish-for-2007.html

    Yes, the snow is not perfectly white or sparkly, but with the charms being so bright, the snow looks good being subdued. And since it is supposed to be a night scene, mottled snow looks fine. You will probably be happier with DMC and blending filament.

    Yes, I would use the oranger 3855 for the windows.

     
  • At 6:15 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Fantastic new start!!!

     
  • At 6:55 PM , Blogger Katrina in NZ said...

    looks lovely so far :) Hope you've had a good weekend too.

     
  • At 7:12 PM , Anonymous monique said...

    Oooh... I really like that on the darker fabric! I have one of these cottages that I've started (and ripped out LOL) twice now on lighter fabrics and just didn't care for it... I think I will try it on a darker fabric. Thanks for the idea :)

     
  • At 7:14 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    I'd go with the 3855 for the windows. As far as the start goes, I know you get fairly busy at work. I'm willing to bet that as the SAL goes along you will eventually get even with the group. On the other hand, if you finish it early, you can just choose another one and join in "late" again 8)

     
  • At 9:02 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Very pretty start ;)

     
  • At 9:03 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Great start!

     
  • At 10:38 PM , Blogger DaisyGirl said...

    I love the blue linen, and yes the whitewash does have a more subdued look to it, I'd like a brighter look for snow, I think the blending stuff will make it perfect.
    Donna

     
  • At 11:06 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Ok the darker fabric is PERFECT!! And I like the fact that you are using the whitewash. I think it works for the house. And I agree with the white for the snow. As far as the interior windows, its hard for me to say until you start stitching it up. Then I'll be happy to add my opinion!! LOL

     
  • At 7:43 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your new start in Winter Welcome is lovely Sue. I love the colour of the fabric you have chosen.

     
  • At 10:33 AM , Blogger Margaret said...

    No wonder you couldn't wait to start this project - love the pattern & the fabric. The whitewash is a great choice for the house but would probably choose whiter white for the snow. The windows are quite a decision although at first glance I said Yes!! It's night & the lights are on!! Good luck in your choices and have a great week.

     
  • At 12:33 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    3855 for the windows definately. I also like the idea of the filament addition for the snow. Love the fabric color.

     
  • At 4:34 PM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    startitis-LOL what a cute word! I'm sure you won't regret that you are afflicted with startitis when your projects are finished!!

     
  • At 5:48 PM , Blogger Mary Ann said...

    Wonderful start!! It is looking great on the fabric your chose. I will have to agree with using the DMC white and blending filament for the snow. And, the 3855 for the windows should work nicely.

     
  • At 10:04 AM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    I like the orangey color better, too! It's looking lovely so far... and at the rate you're going, I do hope you have something else picked out for the SAL :)

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger Carto said...

    Hey Hunny :)

    LOL - I wish they'd come up with a vaccine for 'Startitis' - It's not something you can cure with a couple of tablets and a lie-down is it?? Great start by the way. I had a fab weekend and I hope you did too sweetie :) x

     
  • At 3:35 PM , Blogger Vonna said...

    Very Nice start :)

     
  • At 4:01 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Wow, that's a gorgeous start. Just LOVE those colors!!

     
  • At 5:17 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Just catching up on your blog after my hols! Congrats on your dog finish - it's great! I hate backstitching but it does look great once it's done! And i LOVE all your LHN/CCN stash, im jealous LOL I have CCN's "the tea room" in my stash too. Your new start is great on that dark fabric. Im a fellow sufferer of startitis

     
  • At 3:01 PM , Anonymous June said...

    Nice start! Really like the fabby you're using for this one!

    Using DMC with blending filament is a super idea and it will make the snow look fresh and 'crisp'.

     
  • At 3:40 PM , Blogger Carol said...

    Oooo, pretty start! Love the fabric choice!!

     
  • At 5:04 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    Hi Sue!
    I sure approve of the choices for snow and house. I would've done the same.
    For the 3855 or 677, I think you should stitch a little of each one and pick the one you prefer. The final effect will be very different. The fact that you chose a dark fabric suggesting it is nightime made me suggest a more orange look to have the feeling that the lights are on, but in the end, it is the overall effect and your own feeling that will result in the right choice. I sure like both. And LOVE the whole project.
    Startitis is a wonderful disease to have, Sue! Keep stitching!
    Hugs!
    Lili

     
  • At 11:25 PM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Go ahead and stitch!!! If you are enjoying it, stitch it.

    I have a lot of start-itis & now that the fair dates are near, I realize I should actually finish up some stuff : )

    There is nothing like launching into a new project. Esp after pulling the pattern, fibers, etc. Makes you itchy to start.

    Enjoy

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home