Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Saturday, June 30, 2007

Finishes and Framing

This has been a productive week. My DD loved the Gecko kit from Sparklies so she had me start that almost as soon as we got it. It was a quick and really enjoyable stitch, so we went frame shopping today. We found this cute black frame for it. I got it all framed and the backing put on it and then realized I hadn't taken a picture of it before framing. All three of the finishes we framed have glass on them, so there is a little reflection in the pictures, but I think I managed to keep most of it off (all pictures are clickable).

The second one that got framed is Dogs of Duckport This was a fun stitch too, and I like how the green sets it off. This will be fun to put up also, as every time I see it I'll be reminded that I can hang in there and get backstitching done, and it certainly does add to the piece.

Finally, the last one that got framed was Phoenix. This is the one my DD designed and stitched. I think it turned out great, I still can't believe that she just stitched as she went along without drawing it out or anything before hand. We picked it up today, and I think she really enjoyed seeing her finished project all framed up. I don't know what her next project will be, but she had me pick up some 18ct black Aida and some 28 ct rose linen to have, plus a lot of flosses. She said she was thinking about maybe a peacock or a nightengale for her next one, something with a long tail. Still no interest in doing a piece where she follows a pattern that is already done up, but I think she's catching the stitching bug.

I did get some more done on Winter Welcome, which I'm doing for the SAL on the Little House Needleworks board. I still need to go over the snow that I have in it at this point with some Petite Treasure Braid I got to give it a bit of glisten. I played around with two of the windows since my last posting, but kept the others. One of the comments earlier by Lelia was that leaving the windows each a little different might look nice, as real houses very rarely have all the windows looking the same, which was a good point. So far I think they look pretty good. I'm planning on keeping them the way they are now until I finish the piece. That way I can see how they work with all the other detail, but at this point I kind of like them all a bit different. This is a fun stitch too, although I'm not to thrilled with the fabric. It is on 28 ct Dark Blue French Linen, and while I like the color, the fabric really isn't the nicest. The fabric is kind of coarse and scratchy, but was what I had on hand so wanted to use it.

No progress on Flower Dragons this week, or poor pitiful UFO Garfield as the others took what stitching time I had. Maybe they'll turn back up again this coming week.

35 Comments:

  • At 9:55 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    All your framed pieces look great. I love the colors in Winter Welcome. Very Pretty.

     
  • At 10:21 PM , Blogger sugardoll said...

    Wow! Everything looks fantastic. I especially love the gecko piece, how adorable!

     
  • At 12:17 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

    Your framed pieces are lovely, youe've matched the frames perfectly :)

     
  • At 12:25 AM , Blogger Ranae said...

    The frames are perfect. They all look so good. I need to get a couple of frames to finish mine up now.

     
  • At 3:35 AM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Winter Welcome is coming along great, but I just LOVE that gecko of your daughter. It's FABULOUS!!

     
  • At 5:24 AM , Blogger Little Grey Cat said...

    Hi

    I think your gecko came out great. I have that chart and the butterfly one too.

    Your daughter has some talent! I love that phoenix. Just to be able to pick up fabric and a needle and stitch from an image in her head is amazing.

    All three of your pieces look wonderful framed. Cute dogs lol. Backstitch is a pain but it really does add to a design. I hate stitching it too but love the effect at the end.

     
  • At 8:27 AM , Blogger Hannah said...

    Everything looks awesome. Winter Welcome is coming along nicely. I really like what you did with the windows.

     
  • At 10:24 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Great framing choices, everything looks very nice!

     
  • At 10:41 AM , Blogger Margaret said...

    Your framed pieces are all lovely - the gecko is a real sweetie.
    Your daughter must be very artistic as she did a lovely job on creating & stitching the phoenix. No wonder she doesn't want to follow a pattern.

     
  • At 10:47 AM , Blogger Jennifer said...

    Your finishes all look great! I ♥ the gecko and think I want to pick that one up, too. I definitely agree on the windows - they look great with some variation. I still can't get over your daughter's piece. Amazing!

     
  • At 12:36 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    Wow! I love the framing job on the Dogs piece. The Winter Welcome does look good with variation in the windows. I have a soft spot for geckos since we have two of them. DD piece looks good in its frame too!

     
  • At 4:11 PM , Anonymous June said...

    Your framed pieces look lovely!

    Winter Welcome is looking very pretty - great choice for the windows.

     
  • At 8:30 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Wow, you have been busy. Your framed pieces are just lovely and Winter Welcome is coming along nicely ;)

     
  • At 4:49 AM , Blogger lena-lou said...

    Well done to your DD for her gecko finish and your dogs looks lovely framed, you must be pleased. I like how you have chosen to leave the windows different colours as it actually looks very effective :)
    Have a nice week!

     
  • At 7:17 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Everything looks great. DD did such a good job I can hardly wait to see her next work of art.I have to agree that the windows should stay the way they are. Happy 4th to ya.

     
  • At 8:34 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Your framed peices look wonderful Sue and I love your Winter Welcome WIP.

     
  • At 11:37 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    The framing turned out great. Your daughter has such talent. I can't wait to see her next creation!

     
  • At 11:44 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    I agree wih Lelia: the house looks nice like that.
    Beautiful frames and I really love the gecko.
    Take care, Lili

     
  • At 1:09 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    I love your framed pieces! I do like how Winter Welcome looks with all the different windows, too :)

     
  • At 1:29 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Your gecko is really great! I especially love the fabric choice.
    Winter welcome is coming along nicely as well. Do you do your own framing? They certainly turned out nice! I'm anxious to se what your DD does next.

     
  • At 2:03 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    I love your framed pieces, they match perfectly! Your LHN piece is coming along well, i love the way this looks on the dark fabric

     
  • At 3:10 PM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Very kewl Gecko : ) Great frame choice for Dogs of Duckport.
    WOW!!! The Phoenix was just stitched & designed as your daughter went along? No pattern? How awesome is that??? Winter Welcome is looking good, too. I look forward to seeing what you eventually do with all the windows : )

    Now I'm off to get some stitching done. I have a couple things I would like to finish up real soon.

     
  • At 9:12 PM , Blogger rose_michelle said...

    They all look beautilf. I can't believe your DD's piece was all free-handed. That is amazing. I can't wait to see what else you have in the works.

     
  • At 11:02 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    I love the gecko! I think the green frame looks great with the dogs:)

     
  • At 11:40 PM , Blogger Carol said...

    What lovely framing choices!!

     
  • At 1:51 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Wow! Everything looks awesome!

     
  • At 3:26 PM , Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

    Thanks for the welcome back :D

    Fantastic gecko finish and the fabric is such a great choice for the piece.

    And your DD's project is just amazing! I'm so, so impressed by that! She must be thrilled with it! What a clever and talented girl :D

     
  • At 4:30 PM , Blogger Michele said...

    I just love your framed pieces .. the the frames you picked really set off each piece well! Hope your daughter keeps with the stitching bug :)

     
  • At 6:01 PM , Blogger Katrina in NZ said...

    All 3 pieces look wonderful, well done :)

     
  • At 12:41 AM , Anonymous monique said...

    Whata wonderful phoenix! It is definitely a talent to be able to just stitch along without a pattern :)

    Your framing all looks nice, and I really like the winter house on that fabric. I agree, the windows look good all different :)

     
  • At 10:07 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Ok those framed pieces are AMAZING!!! They all came out so nice! And I like the different windows on the house as well.

     
  • At 1:36 PM , Blogger Kitty said...

    They all look great, especially the Gecko, but then I am a wee bit biased.

    I like the effect of the different windows on the house, you definitely made the right choice there, keeping them all diferent.

     
  • At 1:54 PM , Blogger Heidi said...

    All very nice pieces! I love the green you added to your dogs, it works well. :)

     
  • At 3:54 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    They all look great!

     
  • At 10:03 AM , Blogger Katharine said...

    the snow on the roof looks very realistic

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home