Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Cottage SAL

Well it looks like another new one will be going into my current and upcoming projects. The Little House Needleworks board is going to be starting a cottage SAL shortly. There are several different patterns by Little House that are in the cottage theme that we can select from, and I picked the Winter Welcome.

I've got it all kitted up now so will be all set to go when it starts on the 21st of this month. The picture is clickable so that you can see the pattern easier. I'm going to make a couple of changes, which is unusual for me. I hardly ever get brave enough to change a design from the way it is written, but hopefully it will work out. Instead of the light fabric I'm going to use the dark blue to give it more of a night time feel. Then in the windows where the lighter fabric showed through originally I'll use the pale yellow so that it looks like the light you see spilling out from the windows of your home when you come home at night, all warm and welcoming. The house was more of a grayish type color, but I'm going to go with the blue, which looks like it shows up ok on the fabric (have I mentioned before that blue is my favorite color, LOL). I also changed one of the greens that are in it as I didn't have the one overdyed that it called for. However, I have the one here, Lucky, that I think should work well. Finally, the whites were plain DMC and I'm going to use Whitewash by WDW's instead.

Hmmm, looking at it now, and what I've written, that is certainly more than a couple of changes. About the only thing I kept the same is two flosses, one green and one brown. About the most adventuresome I've been in the past was to change a fabric color slightly or maybe substitute one of the floss colors. I hope my changes work out, the colors look ok to me laid out on the fabric. My DD, who generally has a good eye for colors and things said she thought it would work well also. So...what do you all think?

18 Comments:

  • At 8:53 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Pretty pattern, sounds like it will be a fun SAL ;)

     
  • At 9:23 PM , Blogger Vonna said...

    I think your changes are perfect!!!

     
  • At 9:52 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Have fun with your SAL:)

     
  • At 12:32 AM , Blogger claudia said...

    Looks like your changes will work just fine. Can't wait to watch your progress, it's a cute pattern.

     
  • At 3:45 AM , Anonymous June said...

    I think the changes will definately work. The fabric is a great choice - the thread look fantastic on it.

     
  • At 8:24 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    I think your finished design will look more beautiful than the original. Just one thing: I would -may be- go for a more orange shade in the windows, to give the inside a warmer look. But it's difficult to tell from pics and finding the right shade to still fit the others... Well...
    I'm eager to see this sal start and follow your progress!
    Take care, Sue!
    Lili

     
  • At 8:58 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    Your flosses look nice against the fabric. I think the changes will be nice. It will definitely make the project "yours".

     
  • At 9:36 AM , Blogger Mary Ann said...

    I think your changes are going to look great! I look forward to seeing your progress on this one.

     
  • At 9:45 AM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    I think it will be amazing! I can't wait to see you start it!

     
  • At 10:06 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    It will be such fun to watch this SAL!!

     
  • At 1:53 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    This will be fun to watch! Let me know how it goes as I've never been brave enough to do a SAL as I figure I stitch slow and don't have enough time to devote.

     
  • At 4:38 PM , Blogger Kathryn said...

    Congratulations on your bravery. I have been changing fabrics and threads on most of my projects lately. I even changed a few stitches, too (I didn't like the original J on the Winter ABCs, so I modified it, also some of the red on the tree). Just remember that lighter threads (especially on lighter fabrics) will look even lighter when stitched. Looking at the large hank of light thread next to the fabric can get faded out when it is only a single stitch.

    http://threadsofdesire.blogspot.com/2007/05/perils-of-change.html

     
  • At 5:22 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Your floss changes look great to me! It's a pretty project.

     
  • At 6:19 PM , Blogger Little Grey Cat said...

    I think the changes you've made will work fine. It's a lovely pattern.

     
  • At 7:52 PM , Blogger Hannah said...

    I like your color changes. I hope all works out well!

     
  • At 3:23 AM , Blogger Shell said...

    you changes sound like they are going to work fine.I like the sound of the darker fabric.

     
  • At 8:38 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    OOh I like it! In fact I really like the idea of making it a nighttime picture vs a daytime one. I think it will make the house pop more. Right now its hard to see the snow against the light fabric.

     
  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

    What do I think? I think you made some wise choices! Should make the cottage SAL project unique : ) Enjoy!

    I finally finished my first LHN [yesterday]. I was tempted by the SAL; however, want to get some items ready for fair entries.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home