Dogs of Duckport is finished. I managed to stick with the backstitching for a change instead of letting it drift off into a UFO pile.
Doing the backstitch made such a huge difference, especially with the dogs. I pretty much followed the pattern, only making a couple of adjustments. As mentioned before, two of the flowers in the pattern cut off part way, which would be fine if you matted it right to that edge, but if I go with a larger cut mat, no mat, or make a pillow, then only half of the two flowers being there would have looked odd. In addition, the fence in the picture on the right stopped at the top of the little dogs tail, and I thought that looked a little odd too. Given the feedback I got from most of you, you agreed it did seem strange, like the fence stopped in mid air. Therefore, I filled in the section under his tail with the fence.
Here's a picture from the kit of what it looked like if I wouldn't have made the changes. At the moment I'm leaning towards framing the dogs in a kind of chunky wood frame painted in either a yellow, or more probably a green, and without a mat. Since it isn't a delicate piece, I think the chunky frame and in a fun color would work.
So with Dogs done I think I'll focus on Garfield for a bit. With as busy as I've been at work lately, not much of his backstitching has been getting done with him only being worked on as a lunch project.
I have made some headway since I last posted a picture of him, but it's only been a small amount. I'm hoping that by bringing him in from the car, where he is my travel project, that he'll get time in the evenings and I'll have him done fairly soon. Here's a picture of what he looks like done. As you can see there really isn't a lot of backstitch left to do.
It would really be nice to get Garfield done soon, as the poor guy has been a WIP/UFO for quite a while due to my putting off his backstitching. Also, if I start the new dragon pattern for my daughter, he could continue to languish for quite a while, especially if work stays hectic which it looks like it will.
My daughter decided on Flower Dragons for what she'd like me to do for her.
Since she picked it out, we've been trying to find a fabric that she liked. Since there is so much open space around the dragons and flower, she wanted a hand dyed fabric so that the fabric would be interesting as well. We went all through my stash and didn't find anything, although since my stash isn't that extensive with dyed fabric that really wasn't much of a surprise. So..we started looking on line to see what we could find. She thought something in a pale yellow would look nice, making it look nice and sunny. Last night we found this.
It is called Gold Dust and is by Country Stitch
It is in their Kiwi Sparkles line, so will have a touch of glisten to it, and will be on 32 ct lugana. I have one piece from them already that I got from Carol
, which was a lovely blue piece of Cashel in the Kiwi Illusions line which is very nice, so I'm hoping I'll be as happy with the one I just ordered. So far Catherine of Country Stitch has been so helpful. The size we needed was larger than the one size listed, but much smaller than the next size up. When I sent Catherine an email asking if I could get a custom size she said no problem. She's going to custom dye a piece the size I need, and said since they were having a holiday there, that she could get started right away. She even looked up the pattern I mentioned I was doing and said that she thought the color would look lovely as well, and then recalculated the stitch count and fabric size to ensure I hadn't made an error in my calculations so that I could be sure the fabric would be the right size. I tend to like a 4" margin so that I don't have problems and I'd done it so that it came out to a bit over 3". She mentioned the difference and asked if I'd like the original size I listed, or slightly bigger to allow for the full 4". How's that for service.
I'm not sure exactly how long it will take till I have my new fabric and can start Flower Dragons, but if for some reason my needle just flies on Garfield my daughter teased I could always start her second choice dragon, Peach Dragon, if I needed something to work on. (Just an FYI, all my pictures here are clickable so that you can get them larger and actually see the dragons)
Since this little guy will just go on antique white, which I do have, I'd be able to start right away. However I told her I really don't need to start another one to have something to do, as can pull out one of my other WIP's that have been around a while to work on in the meantime.
Well it is raining here again, which is pretty much what it did all day yesterday as well. While we need the rain, it would have been nice to have had it during the week when I had to work than have it on the weekend. Oh well, makes for nice stitching weather. :)