Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, May 27, 2007

Backstitching and stash

It's been a busy week at work and at home, again, at some point I would think things would settle down. However, as we are going into our year end at work, I don't think it will be soon. Therefore, poor Garfield didn't get worked on again as I didn't get any lunch stitching in.

At home, I have gotten a couple of evenings to stitch while I watched DVD's with my DD. She keeps encouraging me to work on the backstitching so I can get Dogs of Duckport done, as she's picked out what she wants my next project to be, which will be for her. So...the faster the backstitch gets done the faster I start Flower Dragons for her. However, we still have not settled on what fabric she wants yet, as she wants an overdye not a solid color.

Dogs is now almost a third of the way done with the backstitching. I've started on the right side and will move across the picture. As much as I dislike doing backstitch, it really is making the piece pop and the dogs will be so much more distinctive now. I've made two small changes to the pattern already, the bottom flower farthest out on the right and the middle flower farthest out to the left were only designed as partial flowers, the outside edge cut off abruptly and had a straight line for a finish. This would work if it was matted right to the flower edge where the pattern stopped, but as I'm not sure how I want to finish it yet, I didn't want to have two flowers that were only half there just sitting. I tried to make them look like the other flowers that were totally done, and think they turned out ok. The other change I'm still thinking of making is the bottom portion of the fence on the right side. The pattern stops where it is shown now, but in looking at it, it seems the fence should continue down below the little dogs tail, it seems to stop mid air right now. It is this way both in the pattern and in the picture of the finished one, so it would seem to be correct, it just looks odd to me. So I'll be going back and filling in the fence color there so that the fence looks like it continues down below the dogs.

I got the last of my stash, so here is the the rest of what I got when I went to the stitching retreat a while back. Hmmm can you tell that I seem to be on a Little House Needleworks and Country Cottage Needleworks trend at the moment? The material I didn't order at the retreat. I recently joined the fabric of the month club with Shakespeare's Peddler and this is the May fabric. It is 28 ct Navy Bean by Lakeside Linen. The timing was perfect, as it looks to go with quite a few of my new stash (as well as the Country Mocha fabric I got a bit ago) so I should have plenty to stitch away on for a while.

We went to see the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie Friday night. While I really liked the movie over all, I would have done the ending a little differently. Oh well, for it being the third in a series, when generally the sequels start not doing so well, I was happy with it. It has finally stopped raining for a bit (it has been raining here off and on almost constantly since Thurs. night) so I'm off to run some errands. Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday weekend and I'll be catching up with what you've all been doing on your blogs later today.

23 Comments:

  • At 2:40 PM , Blogger Vonna said...

    Loads of stitchy stash there! Love it! And the wee puppies are looking fantastic :)

     
  • At 4:18 PM , Blogger Itching To Stitch said...

    Love your dog piece and I'm drooling over your stash ;)

     
  • At 7:17 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    The dogs are looking great! Love your stash:)

     
  • At 9:45 PM , Blogger Katrina in NZ said...

    ooh lovely new stash there - its funny, my recent stash orders all seem to contain a few LHN/CNN patterns too, and I love the new Icecream one by CCN.

    glad that your rain has stopped, you could always send it over here. We're having the driest May on record, very unusual for autumn here in New Zealand.

     
  • At 10:33 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Your dogs are coming along beautifully!

    Great new stash!

     
  • At 7:04 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    Dogs is looking brilliant Sue! So cute!

    Lovely new stash too. Any ideas what you're going to start first?!

    We're going to see Pirates of the Caribbean tomorrow. I booked tickets incase it's really busy.

     
  • At 8:19 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Some nice new stash! I got the new Navy Bean fabric from SP too and I love it!

     
  • At 10:35 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Gotta love that encouragement from the DD, even if it is self motivating!! LOL And as far as the flowers go, I can't tell the difference even WHEN you point it out to me, so you did a great job with it. and I agree abt the fence. I like the idea of the continuity that you are adding.
    Great job!!

     
  • At 12:31 PM , Blogger claudia said...

    The puppies are really looking cute. You are right, the backstitching makes them pop! Looks like a lot of great stash. I like the Flower Dragons. Your daughter made a good choice!

     
  • At 1:02 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

    Thanks so much for your birthday wishes Sue.
    Great progress on the dogs & you are so right the backstitching makes them really pop out.
    Wonderful new stash!!!

     
  • At 1:21 PM , Anonymous June said...

    Lovely stash!

    Good that your DD is encouraging you to finish the backstitch on 'Dogs'. :) Let's face it, we all need (lots of) encouraging for backstitch! *rofl*

     
  • At 3:53 PM , Blogger Barbara said...

    Hey Sue, that's coming along great! Wow, the backstitching just really makes it! :D I hope this week coming is less busy for you!

     
  • At 5:38 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I agree. Finishing the fence would look right.

    Good stashing ... I love Little House patterns.

     
  • At 5:40 PM , Blogger ari_1965 said...

    Cute.

     
  • At 3:06 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Fabulous stash! The dogs are looking wonderful and the pattern your daughter picked out is really neat and very pretty!

     
  • At 5:44 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Dogs are looking good. Lots of great stash you got. Thanks for the comment om ,y blog. I had fun with that exchange. so much so that I may even do it agian this next month.

     
  • At 8:32 AM , Anonymous monique said...

    You are right about the fence needing to come below the tail, I think. It looks like it's floating now.

    Wonderful stash haul!

     
  • At 9:29 AM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    Lovely stash! I like the changes you made to the doggies, and I agree that the fence looks funny the way it is.

     
  • At 11:28 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    I have to agree with all the changes you have made (or are about to make) on Dogs of Duckport. The bs is the cherry on the cake, and it does make the dogs stand out so beautifully...
    Nice stash! I think the tea room and the boutique make a perfect pair. So do the cat and dog, for sure...
    Thanks for your concern, Sue. I am very touched with your kindness. It counts, doesn't it?
    How is the pet family?
    Lots of hugs to them and to you!
    Lili

     
  • At 5:25 PM , Blogger Carto said...

    Hey there my friend :)

    Oh yes, this is coming on nicely. And yes the backstitching really does make the design stand out. I hate backstitching myself but sometimes it's necessary as it can make such a difference to a design. Wow, lot's of lovely stash - that's what I like to see, my sisters in stitching stashing away - lovely stuff :) ((hugs))

     
  • At 5:13 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

    Your dog piece is coming out nicely. I agree with you I would have completed those flowers too instead of just having it cut off.

    You have some awesome stash there too!

     
  • At 5:57 AM , Blogger Kucki68 said...

    As the dogs sit on grass infront of the fence, I have difficulties seeing where the fence would have to continue below the dogs.

     
  • At 3:37 PM , Blogger disa said...

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home