Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, April 22, 2007

Garfield Speaks, and Crickets Sing

I can't believe a week has flown by since my last post, it doesn't seem like a whole week has past. My daughter got home from Colorado without any problems.I received a call from her Monday morning at 3:45 am saying she'd be home shortly. Ok, I did ask her to call when she left Co. to start her drive, but she didn't want to call then and have me worry the whole time she was on the road. She was right on that thought, as I would have, and probably more than I should that's just my nature. So.. she left Co. at about 9 am on Sun. and figured she'd call me when she was closer. Based on that, in my semi-coherent state at that time of the morning, I said ok but since you waited this long why couldn't you wait till about 5:30 when I normally get up instead of calling so much earlier. Well it turns out her "shortly" was in about 4 minutes. She was calling so that I'd be awake enough to understand what was going on and not flip out when the front door started opening (or have a heart attack expecting bad news if she rang the doorbell). Hmmm good thought. So, still holding the phone I could look out my window and see her pull into the driveway.

So...at 4 in the morning we unloaded a good portion of her car. We got the two gecko's in and set up in the terrarium that I had picked up for them, pictures to follow in a later post, they are really cute. Then we got Isis her cat settled in her upstairs room with a bunch of the blankets, stuffed animals, and such that would smell familiar to her and hopefully help her feel better, then we talked a bit. I ended up leaving for work and Amber went to bed. Being up that many hours was a bit draining to say the least. Although driving straight through when she did probably worked out for the best. At 23, she still has enough energy to do that, and by leaving Sun. morning early and driving straight through, she missed weekday/commuter traffic (especially around the bigger cities). It made for a quiet drive, and the shorter time in the car made it easier on her pets. The gecko's are fitting in fine (kitties love the new TV, LOL). So far no problems with Isis either, although we really haven't allowed much interaction yet between all the fur babies.

This has been a long week at work. Very tiring on Mon., as I was running on only a little sleep. I'd stayed up later than normal Sun. stitching, as had spent the earlier part of the day cleaning and shopping and getting ready for Amber to come home this week. Then work was hectic as usual. However, even with only having a couple of the days work out to stitch on Garfield at lunch, his backstitch did move along.
As you can see I finished all the wording on top and some more of his nightcap. I think the next area I need to work on is his face, as he looks kind of strange with no eyes and such yet. The other area I want to finish getting in is his bunny slippers. The little slippers are my favorite part of him, they are just so cute. I'd love to think this week at work will be quieter, and so I could make more headway there on him than I have been, but I'm not hopeful. I already know that two days this coming week will not be an option, and a third probably won't work either. Oh well, little by little he's moving along.

I did make some good progress on my Dogs of Duckport piece.
My DD loves movies and I do as well. Movies are much more fun when you have someone to watch them with as well so...we've watched movies three evenings this week. That resulted in some decent time on Dogs.

With putting the wording in on Garfield, the "Garfield Speaks" part of my title is fairly obvious. The part that isn't is the "and Crickets Sing". I have had singing crickets pretty much all week. Nope it isn't from it being spring outside, although spring does appear to be starting to stay, finally. The crickets singing is from inside the house, and those little buggers can be loud when there are a bunch of them. DD bought crickets for the gecko's, 40 crickets to be precise. Most of the crickets are gone now, however, in the meantime, we were treated to a cricket serenade most evenings.

Also, wanted to thank you all so much for all your comments that you leave me. Getting and reading comments is such fun, and it really helps in keeping motivated to stitch and make headway on my projects. Your taking time to read my blog and comment is truly appreciated.

23 Comments:

  • At 12:53 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Glad DD made it home safely! I know all about the cricket singing! My son has tree frogs and that is what they eat. We did find out that if you buy baby crickets under 8 weeks old they don't chirp but they are a lot smaller than adult ones.

    Both of you WIP's look great!

     
  • At 1:09 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Garfield is coming along great, i love his slippers too, i used to have some very similar to that when i was a little girl! Dogs are looking good too! Glad your daugher (and pets) arrived safely.

     
  • At 1:58 PM , Blogger xstitch.nl said...

    Love, love, love Garfield!! It's great watching your progress!

     
  • At 3:56 PM , Blogger The needle & I said...

    I'm glad to hear your DD made her track safely to your home. Garfield is looking great, And I also love your Dogs of Duckport, they are coming along so nice. I will check back for that pic of the gecko's.

     
  • At 4:07 PM , Blogger Denisa said...

    Hi... I passed here for only announcing that in my Blog it has new things and that I am waiting its visit!
    Its blog is pretty! Congratulations!
    It has an excellent week!
    Kissis for Nisa!( BRAZIL)

     
  • At 6:25 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

    Garfield and the Dogs of Duckport look great! Glad to hear your daughter made it safe and sound. Looking forward to pictures of the geckos and Isis. :)

     
  • At 10:22 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I'm glad you DD is now safely at home.

     
  • At 10:45 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    Glad to hear your DD made it safely home, and that all the furbabies (and nofurbabies) seem to be getting along so far. I love the slippers on Garfield! Plus, the dogs are cute - the little guy on the left is looking much cuter :)

     
  • At 12:56 AM , Blogger Lana said...

    Good progress! And I am so glad your daughter got home safely! i'm new to your blog, but i'll be visitng frequently!
    ~Lana~

     
  • At 8:12 AM , Blogger Annemarie said...

    You have a very sensible daughter :o)
    Garfield is soooo cute. Well done on the backstitching. You *will* make it!

     
  • At 12:25 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

    Garfield & your dogs are coming along nicely. Before you know it you they be completed.
    How wonderful that your daughter has arrived home safely. Enjoy!!

     
  • At 12:40 PM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Oh you've nearly finished Garfield! Can't wait to see him complete. xx

     
  • At 12:50 PM , Blogger Angi said...

    OKay I AM Garfield LOL!! Glad your DD made it home safely!

     
  • At 7:01 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    I'm glad to hear your daughter made it safe and sound!

    Both of yoru projects are coming along nicely!

     
  • At 7:41 PM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Glad to hear that DD made it home safe.

     
  • At 11:35 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Here is another comment for you!! LOL Can I tell you how much I'm loving Garfield?? And I'm impressed that you are getting so much done on him!!

    How nice to have your dd home, and what a smart girl to call you 5 min before pulling in!! However I was NEVER able to pull an all nighter like that one! Glad she arrived safely.

     
  • At 11:51 PM , Blogger Carol said...

    Glad it all worked out well! Love your Garfield :-)

     
  • At 2:44 PM , Blogger Shell said...

    I am sure I have mentioned Garfield's little slippers before,but not to worry I will mention them again - they are so cute.Hope you have been having fun with your DD and her pets.

     
  • At 9:12 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Happy to hear your DD and her pets made it home safe and sound, Sue! :-) I know you must be so happy to have her at home with you for a while... The Cricket's singing really made me smile! We have a creek and wooded area behind our house and the crickets and tree frogs really start singing this time of year and sometimes it's all you can hear! lol Which reminds me... you know it's good luck to have a cricket singing in your house!!! ;-)

    Lovely progress on Garfield! He is so adorable! I can't wait for you to finish his face as I love his expression! Love those bunny slippers! My dd had some when she was a little girl... :-) Doggies is looking lovely... you will be finished before you know it!

    Have you decided what you are going to stitch next? I really want to start another project like right now... don't know what, just anything... yes, I have a serious problem as I need to finish a couple of WIP's first so I will stop feeling guilty... been too long since I had a Snoopy Happy Dance! Alas, I'm rambling again... Hope you are well, Sweetie, and enjoying having your lovely dd back at home with you!

    {{{Hugs}}}

     
  • At 11:26 AM , Blogger Lucy said...

    We feed crickets to our little turtle...he gets so excited and eats them so fast!!! Love the Garfield!!!!! Glad everything is safe and sound with your DD.

     
  • At 10:43 AM , Blogger Jamie said...

    I remember the days when I made the 8 hour drive from college to home and I also would do it over night. My mom hated it but it made the most sense. I'm glad she is home safe. Love garfield and the dogs.

     
  • At 7:09 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    Thank you for your prayers they're really appreciated!!!

     
  • At 7:06 AM , Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

    Glad your daughter arrived safe and sound. Too funny that she rang as she was pulling into the drive! lol.

    Nice progress pics! I'm dying to see Garfield in all his bleary eyed glory, heh.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home