Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, April 15, 2007

Dogs and framing

This weekend I did a fair amount of running around. My daughter is moving home from Colorado this week and will be staying with me for about 1 1/2 to 2 months while she is between places. It will be so nice to have her home again. Other than a couple of holidays, she hasn't really been home for a couple of years. It will be a little challenging integrating her pets into the house though, as she will have her two gecko's and her cat Isis coming with her. Watching how they interact with my 3 cats and 2 dogs should be interesting. Basically the upstairs is her room, so pretty much Isis will be the upstairs cat, and hopefully we can keep the others corraled and downstairs to minimize all their stress levels (and ours) while everyone trys to adapt. This weekend I went out and got some of the terrarium set up items so that when she gets home the gecko's can go right into the terrarium we had here. The geckos will be downstairs in the living room, actually right by my stitching corner. They should be able to fit in fine, and my cats will probably enjoy them, their own personal kitty TV, LOL.

In addition to running around for terrarium supplies, extra groceries, and such, I went frame shopping. I'm still waiting for Chocolate Shoppe to get done at the framers, but had Chocolate Covered Cherries that I was going to frame myself. I knew I wouldn't be able to match the frame I found for Chocolate Shoppe, so was really looking for something that would be compatible. Chocolate Shoppe is being done in a dark wood, so that was my guide line. I lucked out in that the first shop I went to I found a cute frame. It took a bit of digging, as Chocolate Covered Cherries is square 3x3, so really needed a square frame. I soon found out that there are not a whole lot of square frames out there. However, I did find this cute little one. It is 5x5, so size wise worked great. I was worried with Cherries being so small it could get lost in a frame, especially as I wasn't going to use a mat. While not a dark brown, I thought the black seemed to go well with the dark browns in the pattern. And the last bonus.....I had a coupon for 50% off at the store, so this little frame only cost me $8. Needless to say I was pretty happy with my find. So even though I can't enjoy Chocolate Shoppe yet, I have Cherries up and am enjoying seeing one of my finishes framed.

And last but not least, here is my update for Dogs of Duckport. I didn't get a lot of stitching done this weekend, so it doesn't look like much headway.
The grass line on the bottom is now complete, so I have my base line in. Also a little more is done on the center dog. While he is my favorite of the three dogs in this piece, all the grays and whites in him are a bit tiring.

Well it is back to work tomorrow, and Garfield will be the lunch project again this week. This should keep his backstitching moving forward.

Hope everyone had a good weekend.

27 Comments:

  • At 11:35 PM , Blogger Dawn said...

    Chocolate Cover Cherries looks awesome! Great job!!

     
  • At 12:04 AM , Blogger Dee said...

    Cherries looks great!

    Enjoy having your daughter home and the geckos too. :-) Geckos are so cute.

     
  • At 4:21 AM , Blogger Angi said...

    Oh I really like the framing!! Great job!!!! I hope you have a great time with your daughter!

     
  • At 5:31 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    Nice pick for the frame: it looks perfect, Sue!
    I love the idea of all these pets learning to get along in your home, while you and DD spend some time together: you're about to make fine memories together!
    I understand about the middle dog and his boring colours... and he's my fav too! I think it's great that the lawn is done so you can "place" everything more easily.
    Take care, Sue!
    Lili

     
  • At 6:22 AM , Blogger Lisa said...

    Chocolate Covered Cherries looks great in the frame, good find :-)

    Thank you for stopping by my blog

     
  • At 7:12 AM , Blogger Jenn said...

    You did a great job framing Cherries!

    I hope everyting goes smoothly when your daughter arrives getting the pets to behave with each other.

     
  • At 7:50 AM , Blogger Vonna said...

    Had work this weekend so I'm behind on posts...I love your cherries all framed up and your WIP of the doggies is CUTE! The Garfield...is funny...I had a friend do this one too, it is darling all finished!
    Great Job!

     
  • At 8:17 AM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Your framed Cherries looks great! And delicious! It will be so nice for your to have your daughter home for a while.

     
  • At 9:30 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Great job on the framing! I know what you mean about finding square frames, i had the same problem a few months ago. Good luck with garfield this week!

     
  • At 10:54 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

    That is quite a shift in the household! Adding a DD, cat, and geckos. Mighty batch of fun ahead for all of you : )

    Nice selection for your frame. Luvin the dogs! And Garfield is shaping up nicely, too.

    btw, the Queen Stitches are ok. They do look odd when you put them in. After several are stitched - they look ok. I try to use silk or perle cotton #12. Seems using one strand is so much easier than 2 strands of cotton fiber / floss

     
  • At 12:35 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Ok I SO love those cherries!! I printed the pattern but nothing abt it spoke to me so it got put aside. However after seeing YOURS done, wow!! Everything works so well together! The fabric and the framing. Yes I hear you abt the square frames, they are very hard to find.
    Have fun with your daughter, its nice that you still like her after the teen years! LOL

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Your framing looks great-I just love the instant gratification of that. Nice to have your daughter home-have fun!

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    YOu found a lovely frame for your choclate covered cherries.

     
  • At 4:22 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    The frame looks so good with that!

    It must be wonderful to have your daughter back for a few months - I hope you both have a really good time.

    Oh boy, white and greys on white fabric! But he'll be cute when he's finished!

     
  • At 5:39 PM , Blogger Carol said...

    Congratulations - your framing came out just perfect!

     
  • At 7:40 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

    your cherries piece looks neat framed up now, what a nice choice :)

     
  • At 9:53 PM , Blogger Carolyn said...

    Choco covered cherries is so cute - I have that one in my stash. And your framing looks perfect!! And I love the dog design too - that little dachsund/weiner dog is adorable! :)

     
  • At 12:53 AM , Blogger BlissxStitches said...

    I love the Suzy Zoo theme (that's the dogs of Duckport, isn't it?). When my kids were little, they had different ones as the nameplates on their bedroom doors.

     
  • At 10:47 AM , Blogger The Silver Thistle said...

    Cherries looks great in that frame! I love it!

    Poor Garfield though, lol. He looks ill without his face on, hahahah.

    The plan to backstitch for little snippets of 15 mins is a great one and you'll have him done in no time!

     
  • At 11:58 AM , Anonymous monique said...

    Wonderful that you get to have your DD home for a bit! I bet the geckos will be fun, too... they have such cute little feet LOL

     
  • At 11:59 AM , Anonymous monique said...

    Doh! Forgot to add that the frame on cherries looks great :)

     
  • At 12:56 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    Cherries looks nice in that frame!

     
  • At 4:45 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Oh, how exciting to have your dd home for awhile, Sue... Your furry babies should love getting acquainted with Isis and the geckos... ;-)

    Cherries looks Great in that frame! Just beautiful and you've done a wonderful framing job as well! :-) It's going to look wonderful hanging in your kitchen with Chocolate Shoppe! :-)

    Dogs of Duckport is coming along beautifully... :-) and good luck with poor wee Garfield on your lunch breaks... I can't wait to see how much backstitching you've done! :-)

     
  • At 10:07 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I've been spring cleaning! :-)

    Every once in awhile I clear out the old and make way for the new.

    They'll be plenty of new posts up real soon.

     
  • At 4:06 AM , Blogger Hazel said...

    Awww cherries look great! There is a pic of Twilight Shimmer in one of my blogs further down if you want to see it. Sorry I've not responded sooner. xx

     
  • At 12:40 PM , Blogger Margaret said...

    What a great framing job!! Chocolate Covered Cherries looks so lovely.
    It will be such fun to have your daughter and her pets stay with you for a while. Enjoy!!
    Have a wonderful weekend.

     
  • At 7:54 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    now I see what it looks like framed. You did good. Hope you enjoy having DD home for a bit. I have a bearded dragon and yes the cats do find him interesting.LOL
    Kitty TV as you called it. WIP are looking good.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home