Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Happy dance - Taxes done :)

Ok, tonight I'm doing a happy dance, I finally got my taxes done. They are all finished, in their envelopes, and I'll have them in the mail on my way to work tomorrow. I am so happy they are done. I HATE doing taxes. I dislike them so much my daughter says I resemble Dr. Jackel/Mr Hyde when I'm trying to get them done, I'm a totally different person. Oh well, they are done for another year, and since they owe me money, the end result was at least nice. Good thing too, as I've already started spending some of my refund on my recent stash acquisitions. :)

I don't have any good updates on stitching to show yet. While I got a couple blocks done on my Halloween 9 patch, they are the solid color ones. I don't want to sew the charm on yet, as my thread will get tangled on it when I do the other areas. So since the solid blocks don't show much I'll wait to post a picture on that one. On Chocolate Shoppe I've made some headway, but not as much as I'd like and as it is the border area there isn't much to look at there either. So..I'll wait and post a picture of that later as well.

However, I do have a couple of pictures. I was asked if I sew at all, well the answer depends on what you define as sewing. If you mean clothes, then no. Patterns and fitting and such and I just don't get along well. I have in the past though made two quilts, and I'd like to make another.

My first quilt was this one, it is made out of flannel so is very heavy, but very warm. The back of this is the purple flannel that you see the squares of on the front. This was called a Chenelle Quilt. I made if for my daughter as she loves cats and bright colors. There are three layers, the top and back are flannel, and then the center is a linen type material. This one was easy to learn on, as all I needed to do was decide which colors I'd put where, count the number of squares needed, and then cut them out. After stacking the squares (top, center, back) they just needed to be sewed together with the seams standing up at the top. After getting all the seams done, then you go around the edge and just stitch the sides closed.

One of the longest parts of this quilt was the clipping, that took a long time. Once all the seams are done, you go along each seam and the outside edge and clip in so that it creates a fringe type effect. As I found out the hard way you really need to pay attention because if you clip to deep and clip the thread in the seam, you need to resew the seam, which is a pain. When that is done, just throw it in the washer to fluff the seams up. I made this for my daughter just before she started collage. This went with her, and got a lot of use. These pictures are after she graduated, so you can see it holds up well. It kept her warm in the winter, and made a great blanket to take outside to lay on to study or go on a picnic.


This next picture was my second quilt. It is in a simple log cabin style, and as you can see has lots of my favorite color blue in it, as well as cats (can you tell we are a cat family, LOL). This one was a bit more work, as there were a lot more pieces to cut. However, other than trying to make sure that all the cats in the center squares went the same way, and none ended up sideways or upside down, it was easy to put together.




This quilt was for me, and is a lot lighter in weight than the one I made for my daughter. The back and front are a lighter weight fabric, so this one just stays inside for the most part.


This last shot is the frog fabric that I found for myself. It is a flannel, and I want to turn it into one of the Chenelle quilts. I don't have the complementary colors yet, but will probably use the deep green and the lime green that you see in the frogs for the colored squares. Then also use the deep green for the back. Hopefully the deeper green on the back will help to hide some the pet hair, grass, etc... that will get on it as I haul it around.


Well I'm off now. Since taxes are done, I'm going to reward myself with some stitching time, so that next post I can give you some updated stitching pictures.

16 Comments:

  • At 10:11 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    Glad to hear your taxes are done. All your quilts look great. I love the frog fabric.

     
  • At 10:51 PM , Blogger tkdchick said...

    What wonderful quilts!

     
  • At 3:45 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    Your quilts are amazing!
    Congratulations on getting the taxes done. I remember what a pain that was when I lived in the US. Good thing you're getting a refund :)

     
  • At 7:02 AM , Blogger Sue said...

    Your quilts are just stunning.

     
  • At 9:38 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Beautiful quilts!!! Wow. Good going on finishing up the taxes. What a relief when those are finished.

     
  • At 12:45 PM , Blogger Wendy said...

    Wow - great quilts you have made! I made one in a similar style to the flannel one. I used denim with a flannel backing and just the 2 layers, so it was more of a lap quilt/throw, for my son. The hardest part was cutting all the old denim jeans to get enough blocks to make a quilt.

     
  • At 2:01 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    Wow! These quilts are wonders, Sue! And this frog fabric will do a fun one, for sure!
    All the stash I've seen in the earlier post made me dream awake! Wonderful decisions to make, for sure!
    Take care!
    Lili

     
  • At 6:11 PM , Blogger Kimberly said...

    Great quilts! Love the frog fabric.

     
  • At 10:16 AM , Blogger Lucy said...

    I'm a quilter too...beginner of course. I have made a couple of the chennille quilts..They are very easy. I did a wedding ring quilt all by hand for my niece a couple of years ago...that was not so easy...but fun! Your quilts are great!!! Nice Job

     
  • At 2:30 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    Your quilts are lovely! I don't think I have the patience (or the sewing skills) to do those!

     
  • At 3:42 PM , Blogger The needle & I said...

    Congrats on getting your taxes done. I am still wading through mine. The quilts are amazing.

     
  • At 5:12 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    This is why we get along so well!! You cross stitch, knit AND quilt!! I LOVE that flannel cat quilt! I've made those shaggy ones before and you are right, the hardest part is the snipping. You did a great job and I love that long cabin one as well.

     
  • At 11:12 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    Congratulations on finishing your taxes :-) We sent the state ones out as we get a tiny refund - the feds will wait until mid-April as we owe a tiny bit - LOL!!! Your quilts are so pretty! I see grass below one... you have grass? LUCKY! My Jeep is parked up into a snowbank outside the office today - yet they claim it is spring now??!!

     
  • At 7:20 PM , Blogger rose_michelle said...

    Yeah! Happy dance. I love your quilts. I have two (started as one, now two) that I would love to get finished, but don't have a sewing machine right now. Looking at yours inspires me!

     
  • At 11:51 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Gorgeous quilts!

     
  • At 6:05 AM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    Ive just discovered your blog and i love these quilts! Im thinking about learning to quilt myself so i loved your post! I'll definitely stop by again

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home