Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Thursday, March 01, 2007

A finish?





Well, a type of a finish anyway. I'll be going to my stitching retreat shortly and figured I'd better get busy and finish my name badge. Each year everyone that comes stitches a name badge to wear. The pattern is provided to us, is simple, and changes each year. The colors and any additional designs from the basic outline are left up to the individual, that way everyone's badge is a little different. In the beginning (I've been going to this retreat for quite a few years) the design provided also gave all the colors and specifications and was more detailed, but so many people changed it to suit their taste that over the years the pattern provided has gotten simpler with less directions. If you're like me and have very little imagination this generally presents quite a challenge. Well this year after brainstorming with my DSIL we came up with some ideas, and then yesterday I spent the day at her house and we both stitched on our badges. This year the pattern supplied was the outline of a tent, a flag for the tent with the year on it, and the word Camp Stitchalot done in backstitch at the bottom, no color choices or anything else.

In years past I have turned my badge into a pouch I can wear. This way it can hold my room key, some change for the vending machine, etc... and I'm not having to dig for them all the time in my stitching basket. So here is what I came up with from the outline of just a tent, flag, and the campstitchalot backstitch graph. The second picture is of the material I used to back it and create a pocket. (Since blogger is being difficult and won't let me move the coding, they are both showing at the top of this.) The tent and flag I left as the chart showed and just selected my own color combinations. However, the word Camp Stitchalot I liked better using full cross stitch rather than the smaller backstitch that it originally showed. The placement of name, adding the I Heart on the tent, the buttons to accent, and all the various colors I picked. It is on 18 ct Fiddler cloth. The green cord is so I can wear it around my neck. I think it turned out pretty good. I wish you could see some of the badges people do for this, some are soooo elaborate, lots of detail, and the finishing is lovely.

I don't have really any specific goals for the year, mine are pretty general.
1 - Finish one more project than last year. Last year I finished 12 cross stitch projects and knitted one scraf, so this would mean I need to do either 13 or 14 projects this year.
2 - Finish a couple larger pieces this year, as most of mine last year seemed to be smaller ones. This one got off to a good start with my finish of my Jack and His Cat tabletopper in Jan.
3 - Finish at least one (and hopefully more) of the several WIP's and/or UFO's that have been hanging around for quite a while.

So, while my badge for camp really isn't a "project" I think I'll go ahead and count it as a finish for the above. It did have stitching, and I did spend a fair amount of time trying to think of what to do with just a plain tent outline, and the biggest reason, if I don't I won't have a finish to post for Feb., LOL.

13 Comments:

  • At 11:47 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    That's a fun project you've achieved! I love it! And this way, you and the other cat lovers can find each other as well!!!
    Lots of hugs!
    Lili

     
  • At 12:09 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    Absolutely it counts as a finish for the Project Challenge!!! I still have to start my Camp Badge - I'm going to #2. And I also make mine up into a pouch for keys, etc..... great minds think alike, eh? Actually, I "borrowed" the idea from the gals on the AOL boards that were going to Camp the first year I went.

     
  • At 2:21 PM , Anonymous June said...

    Love the name badge and you should definately count that as a finished project. The pocket is such a clever idea to keep everything within easy reach!!

     
  • At 4:23 PM , Anonymous Lauren said...

    That's a smart idea to make it a pouch! I love the little frog in the tent!

     
  • At 6:02 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    How could you NOT consider the badge as a finished project?!? It's got stitching AND sewing involved!! I love the idea of making it a pouch to hold those quickly needed items. And I think you did a fantastic job with your badge. Make sure you take pictures at camp, I REALLY want to see all the fun you have AND all the badges!!
    Have fun!!

     
  • At 1:16 AM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Oh, Sue your name badge is adorable and I love the kitty fabby you chose for the back! Making it into a pouch is a wonderful idea! :-)

    And yes, by all means this is a finish for 2007! You stitched it, designed part of it and finished it into a lovely name badge that will hold special memories of the wonderful time you're going to have at the retreat! :-) I love it! And I'm looking forward to hearing all about it when you get back home! :-)

     
  • At 1:21 AM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    PS: Almost forgot... I still haven't seen Eragon... :-( It just isn't playing around here anymore! I did find out the DVD is scheduled for release on the 20th of March! Wooo Hooo... Not long to go a'tall now! Still no word on book three, but I'm keeping my eyes and ears open! lol Like you I don't like to wait to find out what's going to happen next! I'm still reading Eldest... I haven't had as much reading time as I'd like as I've been too busy stitching and blogging... lol

    Tootles for now...

     
  • At 2:06 PM , Blogger Sue said...

    Oh, how cute. Great job.

     
  • At 2:52 PM , Blogger Chelle said...

    I think your badge IS a project and you should count it twice because you finished it into something! :o) It's really cute, by the way. Love the pocket/pouch idea.

     
  • At 3:14 PM , Blogger Carto said...

    By jingo, you're so clever! Love the idea of turning your name badge into something useful - and look at your stitching achievements! You've inspired me to do some more stitching. I've been reading a few blogs tonight and on nearly every one there's been a finish list. Hmm...now where's my needle? Lots of hugs to you! x

     
  • At 1:48 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    That's adorable Sue!

     
  • At 8:10 PM , Anonymous monique said...

    Your name badge turned out super-cute! Great idea about making it into a pocket, too :)

     
  • At 4:39 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    That's a great idea for a badge to make it into a little pocket. I'll have to remember that. ;-)

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home