Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Thursday, March 29, 2007

A Finish (well sort of)

I got my Halloween 9 Patch finished tonight, so I did end up with a finish for March after all. I did it just as the pattern showed, with the exception that I added an extra charm. The original pattern called for the bottom middle green square to be left blank. However, I'm not really big on empty spaces, and even though it was green, it looked empty to me. When I originally got this Pine Mountain kit I noticed the empty square and knew at that time I'd want to do something different, so I had been on the look out for another charm that would fit in with the two charms the kit came with. A while back I found the little RIP tombstone charm that was the same color, size and style and picked it up. I think it looks better with the third charm. The reason I have the "well sort of" in my title is I'm not sure that I like it finished, I'm still trying to decide. I have two problems with this. The green H in the block I can see just fine. The alloween in the lower orange block I have a hard time seeing, and it is even harder to see in real than it is in the picture. I'm considering picking the letters back out and doing them in purple or green so they show up better. The other one I'm not sure I like is the uneven border design. I tend to like balance, consistency, symetry (maybe that's why I'm an accountant, LOL). While the border is cute, it doesn't look balanced to me. I'm also thinking of taking it out and picking just one of the styles (either what is in orange or in purple, not the one in black) and doing the border around all the squares not just some of them. For the time being I have it up and I'll think about it. The lettering in particular will be a pain to pick out as I stitched the letters first and then did the fill in area, so the letters are pretty well buried under the other stitches. Where I have it sitting out is next to my Jack and His Cat Halloween tabletopper which I finished in Jan. (yes it is still out) so that one end table really looks interesting with its Halloween theme going on when we are going into Easter, LOL.

So, you all vote. What do you think on the lettering? What do you think on the border?

I also got some work done on Chocolate Shoppe. I didn't get as much done on this as I would have liked, as this past weekend I ended up with a lot going on, so it didn't get much time. However, I am still making decent headway I think. I just have the rest of the border on top and then the fill in part. While this won't be a March finish, it is still on track to be done early to mid April. This has been such fun to stitch. I really didn't even mind the border part, even though it did seem to take forever to move along.

Since I'm giving myself a little time to look at 9 patch to see if I want to change it or not, I need a new travel project. So, while it isn't new you haven't seen it in a while, I'll be working on my Dogs of Duckport one. This one was my travel project until it got bumped when I started working on my 9 patch pillow.
Since it has been a while, it will be fun to get back to. Also, with the flowers and grass it has a spring feel to it that will be fun to look at.

Still trying to decide on what to start once I finish Chocolate Shoppe, but so far I can't decide between a couple. So maybe I'll go ahead and start them all. :)

13 Comments:

  • At 8:18 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    That's a cute finish! I like your idea for the green square.
    As for the letters, I must confess, I couldn't make them out.

    I just remembered you asked me for more advice about the little frame. I am sorry I didn't get back to you earlier... I am sorry, Sue.
    Anyway, I didn't know the design you mentioned, but assumed it was from LHN - had a look online and it is so cute!
    I'm not sure whether it would be much in keeping with the little frame, though? Unless you wish to illustrate a certain art de vivre :)
    It would be cute, anyway. :)

     
  • At 11:00 AM , Blogger Carol said...

    I love your Halloween finish! And your WIPS are beautiful!

     
  • At 3:27 PM , Blogger The needle & I said...

    Hi! Love the work. Yeah that one square doesnt jump out, I would go with green lettering for the alloween and both the purple or orange looks good. Chocoalete shoppe is looking good. Thanks for visiting.

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger Cheryl said...

    The letters aren't too clear i agree but i think the border looks nice. Chocolate Shoppe looks great! I love that one!

     
  • At 10:32 PM , Blogger Lizzy said...

    Oh, way cute finish, Sue! :-) From a distance I can make out the letters... however on the *close up* version of the piccy, they do blend in a wee bit... so I think I would change them as well... as for the border... I'm with you... If it were my piece I think I'd stitch more of a border all the way around in either orange or purple...

    Wow... You must have gotten hold of a magic needle! Chocolate Shoppe is looking so beautiful! I imagine you will be finished with it in the next day or two! :-) Alas, there's no hope of me catching up with you now! lol

    Dogs of Duckport is so adorable... Can't wait to see more... so I think you should stitch exclusively on this one for the next couple of weeks! lol {it will give me some time to catch up} ;-)

    As for your next start... we know what that will be... ;-)

    {{{Hugs}}}

     
  • At 5:58 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    I see what you mean about the border-maybe you could add more to balance it out. I thought the letters were okay-I could see them. All in all a very cute finish! congrats.

     
  • At 10:13 AM , Blogger Sally said...

    You are getting along really well with Chocolate Shoppe Sue.

    I love your Pine Mountain Halloween finish.

     
  • At 1:00 PM , Blogger Nancy in IL said...

    Sue, I love your 9 patch Halloween finish. The buttons are adorable!

    Chocolate Shoppe is looking beautiful, and I adore the Dogs of Duckport! I have a friend who would love doing that one. She has 4 dachshunds and one huge husky mix. I must see if I can find it for her!

    Thanks so much for your sweet comments on my blog about my caring for my granddaughter. Your support and understanding are so very comforting! You're very special!

     
  • At 3:02 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    Hi Sue!
    I love the border the way it is, really because to me Halloween means a certain mess, you know?...
    And I know how much you hate backstitch but I have a suggestion: why not use the green of the H to backstitch the rest of the Halloween word? It might stand out great on the orange background? And you wouldn't have to frog...
    The charms sure look great: perfect choices!
    Chocolate shop makes me eager to celebrate Easter...
    And the Dogs are great...
    Hugs, my friend!
    Lili

     
  • At 6:35 PM , Blogger Dee said...

    I would change the lettering. If you don't like it now, you aren't going to later.

    On my Autumn 9 patch I took the border all the way around and liked it better. I also added an extra charm of my own in the blank spot (in my case, a leaf).

    I must have the same balance issues you have. LOL I like thing symmetrical.

     
  • At 7:07 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    I like the whole thing so my vote would be leave it alone.
    Like the Chocalate shop WIP and will be looking for progress updates on the other one.

     
  • At 7:21 AM , Blogger Barb said...

    What a cute finish. I love the WIP's too. Great job on all 3.

     
  • At 9:42 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    What did you decide to do with your Halloween 9 Patch? I like the idea of outlining the letters. It was my first thought but never got to post abt it. And I agree abt changing the border. I think it would look more finished with the same border all around.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home