Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Frog pond visit - but almost done

Well I thought I was finished with everything but the nunstitching the other night. I had put in the last part of the one cat and then held it up to look it over. However, in looking it over I noticed I'd missed the back stitching on one of the pumpkins. Not much, as it is just the bit to make it look like the top is cut off for the Jack-O-Lantern, really quick. But in looking just a bit closer it appears that I was not consistent in how I did this on the different pumpkins (the directions just say backstitch, they don't say how). On half the pumpkins I did the backstitch taking a stitch over every square. But in going around the topper at one point I stopped and started taking a long stitch if it was over several squares. Not a biggie, but having half the pumpkins done one way and half done the other will drive me nuts. Also, since is a tabletopper decided if the long stitch was left in at some point it could start to sag or get snagged, neither of which would be good. So... I had to frog the backstitching on half the pumpkins and put in new tops. Needless to say that sat for a couple days.



This weekend worked out perfect though. My DSIL came over as my parents were taking my nephews to see the Harlem Globetrotters (which they loved). So Kim came early and we just sat and stitched and stitched some more. In total I got in about 7 hours of stitching yesterday. That was enough time to get the frogging done, the new backstitch put in, and get three sides of the nunstitching done. Now I just need to nunstitch the last side and then fringe in out. I just may get it done by the end of the month. It would be so nice to have a finish, and a fairly large one for a change. Kim was able to get a pretty good amount of the palm tree pattern she is working on done as well.


Also, I finally figured out how to use my digital camera, or at least to a minimal level. I still don't know the details of the focus, and other adjustments. But, for a first test run of it, I don't think I did to bad. The pictures of my topper I have here were on it. Now I just need to figure out a bit more of the details, but it will be nice to have options for pictures other than my scanner and my camera phone. The second picture, which is more close up, is truer to the pretty purple color of the fabric (which I've scanned in for other entries). This has been a fun one to do. I may set it out for a while just to admire when it is done even though it isn't Halloween. :)

11 Comments:

  • At 8:07 PM , Blogger Lynn said...

    This came out SO nice!!! you did a nice job! And good job on using your digital camera. Once you get the hang of it, there is NO turning back!

     
  • At 8:58 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    The topper is looking good! You're almost there for a January finish!

     
  • At 9:55 PM , Blogger ari_1965 said...

    I think the pumpkin tops look great. Also, the swirly accents around the edge are nice.

     
  • At 3:19 AM , Blogger Shell said...

    love it,it would be a shame to have to put it away until Halloween I would leave it out for a while too.
    Have fun with the new camera.

     
  • At 3:46 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    It looks really great Sue, congrats!

     
  • At 3:54 AM , Blogger Heidi said...

    This is looking great. I can't wait to see it finished.

     
  • At 12:46 PM , Blogger rose_michelle said...

    How cute! I am doing one with daisies and I really enjoy watching all of the stitches come together. It looking like you'll be ready when Halloween comes.

     
  • At 4:05 PM , Blogger BlissxStitches said...

    It's gorgeous!

     
  • At 5:10 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    You've done the most lovely work, Sue. I think you were right with the unpicking, even if it's quite discouraging at times. No wonder spending this frustrating moment with Kim must have been helpful and made things more pleasant.
    I would also want to enjoy this even if it's not Halloween, btw...
    Take care!

     
  • At 6:55 PM , Blogger Sharon said...

    That is a gorgeous piece-you are too good to go back and frog your backstitching.

     
  • At 7:45 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    That turned out pretty. I love it! Great job on it

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home