Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Dogs and life

Hmmm it has been a while since I posted. Time just flies when you're having fun, or in this case working and having life/pet issues. Anyway, lets start with a little about life -

On one of the Cross Stitch boards one of the ladies posted a link to a longevity quiz.

http://www.icmarc.org/xp/rc/planning/tools/retirement/longevity.html

I came in at 87, which isn't anywhere near enough for me to get to all my stitching and stash, but then I don't think I could get everything done in three lifetimes there is just so much fun stuff out there, LOL. However, what really surprised me was the impact that some of the choices had on your life expectency. I never would have guessed that some of them would be that important, like flossing your teeth daily. I knew it was good for your teeth, but didn't realize how important it
could be to your overall health. Or, taking vitamen E daily. Based on this, and my yearly nagging from my doctor, there are a couple of things that I think I'll try to focus on a little more this year.

One on the new things for this year is taking a NIA class. NIA is kind of like a mix of yoga, Jazz, and light aerobics. It is low intensity (which is good for my knees) and you can work at your own pace (which is nice if you're out of shape, which is the about 30 lbs I should lose). There is quite a bit of stretching type work, which is great for my neck and shoulders, as that is where I carry my stress. I did this for a while last year, and actually got my cholesteral count down some. So...Tues. and Thurs. NIA here I come, I'm all signed up and I started yesterday.

In addition to work and NIA, the other area of my life lately has been my dogs. Both did fine at the vets a couple weeks ago. However, Sasha's area where one of the two teeth she had to have removed does not seem to want to heal. We went back last week to have her one week follow-up, and she needed to be on the antibiotics for another week as it hadn't healed up completly (the other spot where one came out is fine). Today we went back for the 2 week follow-up (since she had issues last week) and it still isn't healed all the way. It is better, so at least she doesn't need another week of antibiotics (which for a 130 lb dog are pretty expensive when she gets them twice a day, 2 pills a time due to her weight). However, she still can't have any more of the harder chewies she so loves. Since she can't have them till she heals, I am not letting Jazmine have any either, as Sasha wouldn't understand (best case) or would steal it from Jaz and eat it anyway hurting her mouth (worst case). So... we'll watch it for another week and go back next week for a 3 week check-up. At least the vet doesn't charge me for the check up. But between the two having the dental work and biopsies of the lumps and then Sasha needing extra antibiotics it has been an expensive new year so far. Since I had a picture of Sasha before, here's a picture of another of my furbabies, this is Jazmine, she's 10 yrs and about 80 lbs. That's D'artagnon in the background .

On the stitching side I now only have 3 cat/pumpkin motifs left to do on Jack and His Cat, my tabletopper, and then I'll be done except for the nunstitching edging. I'll see if I can get a picture posted of it by this weekend. Also, found some really cute fabric to use to finish a couple of projects, and I'll post a shot of them too.

9 Comments:

  • At 1:06 AM , Blogger BlissxStitches said...

    I floss every day. The test says that I'll outlive you by a year or so, so leave me your stash. Hehe. More seriously, the test got me thinking. Maybe it isn't such a silly NYR that I go easy on the alcohol intake this year.

    See my Daily Bliss Blog: -> http://dailybliss1.blogspot.com/

    Have you ever tried one of those scales that measure BMI, muscle-mass & then tells you how old you really are? First time I stepped on it, it told me my weight and then simply said 'error'. I agreed with the scales error & have never stood on them again. LOL

     
  • At 8:55 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Poor Sasha, I hope her mouth heals faster than it is. It's gotta be a pain for you and her.

     
  • At 11:37 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

    The tabletopper will be lovely when finished.

    Those vet bills - and medicine for pets - are expensive IMO.

    Sorry your dog cannot have the hard chew stuff ... I have one that loves them!! And, he gets antsy when he doesn't have his : )

    Pets ... all the joys

     
  • At 12:16 PM , Blogger Lucy said...

    I got to 90 on the longevity thing...I agree tho with you, I need at least 3 lifetimes to get to my stuff!

     
  • At 1:47 PM , Blogger CritterLady62 said...

    I hope Sasha gets better soon. I'm sure she will be happy when she can get 'treats' again. Wow, the longevity thing said I'd make it to 94. My ole body feels rather old now, I cannot imagine how I'll feel at that age.

     
  • At 1:50 PM , Blogger Lili said...

    Poor Sasha... Jam, my golden, has just stolen a whole pack of his treats and eaten it all!
    Old dogs cost a lot, I agree... We had a painful year from that point of view... lol!
    Take care!

     
  • At 10:07 PM , Blogger ari_1965 said...

    Speaking of vet bills in the New Year, Bubbha's last baby tooth still hasn't fallen out. The vet now says I can wait another month or two. But I think the permanent tooth next to the baby tooth is not as large as the matching permanent tooth on the other side. So I'm worried. It will be about $250 to have the one tooth pulled. However, I called a vet outside of the Twin Cities, and the cost is only $75. Guess where I'll be going when the time comes?

     
  • At 3:38 AM , Blogger Annemarie said...

    Beasties are a joy, but they can get very expensive, can't they? I hope that you are still able to do some stitching, in between your visits to the vet :o)

     
  • At 7:33 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Didn't take the test only because I know that if I lived to be 105 I would still need more time to get everything done. Thanks for the comment you left on my blog hope you visit again.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home