Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Wednesday, November 08, 2006

Teddy's Done :)

Ok, in my last post I mentioned how much I hate backstitch, and that I hoped my poor little teddy wouldn't end up lost in the WIP or UFO pile as all he really had left was the backstitch. However, as numerous projects of mine have gone that route for just that reason, I wasn't overly confident that he would escape that end. Well Lynn suggested (or should I say challenged) me to do just one strand a night. Since Teddy was so small she said just one strand a night and she bet he'd be done by Dec. 1. So, two nights ago the Country Music Awards were on, since I was going to watch them, I decided to do the 1 stand before I started another more fun project.

I think I may have found part of my solution to backstitching. I can't just do backstitch, it drives me nuts and I can't sit still. However, if I put on a movie, I want to pay attention to the movie, as I don't like backstitch and so it doesn't have the regular attraction for me so that I can watch and stitch. It would appear that music shows are different for me. There is enough of a distraction going on that I'm not solely focused on the backstitch, but not enough going on that I mind being distracted by something else. The awards were perfect for backstitching. I worked on Teddy through the whole awards show and made good headway, in fact I almost finished. So... last night we had some of the election results on TV that I wanted to see for a bit. Again, enough to distract me from the backstitch but not enough to watch to make me not want to do the backstitch. The result of the two nights of TV -- Teddy's done!!!




Now all I have to do is put him in the mat and frame that came with the kit (picture in an earlier entry) and he'll be all finished.

While I don't think I'll ever like backstitch, I think I may have stumbled on a way to make it at least a little more tolerable. There aren't any more music shows coming up, and the election is over now, however, I do have one music DVD (Celtic Women) that I could try another project that needs backstitch on. Even though I know I won't do it often, slowly I may finish up some of my projects that need this, or even prevent a future project from sliding into a WIP or UFO by doing a little backstitch as I go.

So Lynn, thanks for suggesting the one strand idea that got me to pick it up on the perfect night to give it a try, and resulted in me actually finishing Teddy up, your timing was perfect.

14 Comments:

  • At 10:26 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

    Glad to hear that you found a way to get your backstitching done. Teddy looks really cute.

     
  • At 9:08 AM , Blogger Lili said...

    Well, Lynn's suggestion was very interesting indeed! I also hate bs...
    Your bear is a complete success!
    Take care!

     
  • At 10:08 AM , Blogger Lelia said...

    Teddy is a cutie pie. Good job.

     
  • At 3:41 PM , Blogger Kim said...

    Your teddy turned out great! Fantastic job on the backstitch. I totally relate, I don't like backstitching either. :D

     
  • At 9:02 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    See, peer pressure can be a GOOD thing!! LOL I'm glad I could help, I'm not particularly fond of bs'ing either so I try to do one strand a night. Most of the time I do 2 or 3 before I have to put it away.
    Oh and the teddy bear? OMG he's ADORABLE!!!!! The bs'ing really made him pop! I esp love his scarf (still drawn to the knitting....)

     
  • At 10:02 AM , Blogger Chiara said...

    Your teddy is lovely :o)...I hate also backstitch...I will follow your method :o)
    have a nice week end!!

     
  • At 2:37 AM , Blogger Isabelle said...

    That is so cute, Sue. Thank you for your kind words. Have a lovely weekend!

     
  • At 6:27 AM , Blogger Stitchingnow said...

    Lynn had a great idea because the bear looks good and best of all he is finished.. Do the happy dance and be proud of your work. Happy stitching.

     
  • At 10:02 AM , Blogger Concetta said...

    Teddy is so sweet!! I hear ya when it comes to backstitching. ;-)

     
  • At 5:38 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    That Teddy is so cute!

     
  • At 7:25 PM , Blogger Stitch or no stitch said...

    Congrats on completing all the backstitching on Teddy. He looks adorable!!
    Margaret

     
  • At 1:19 AM , Blogger Sharon said...

    Teddy is very cute-congrats on the finish.

     
  • At 12:50 PM , Blogger Barb said...

    That turned out so cute! Glad you found a way to make backstitching work for you!

     
  • At 11:36 AM , Blogger Meari said...

    Teddy is very cute! He looks so cuddly.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home