Stitching and Life in the Company of Pets

Sunday, October 01, 2006

Christmas is coming

Well I don't have any stitching updates for today, but I do have a new project that I'm adding to my to do list. The Cross Stitcher is the only US cross stitch magazine I get anymore. I now get a couple of the cross stitching magazines from the UK instead, as I seem to like their selection of patterns more. Also, I love the sections where people write in and talk about their latest project or show pictures of their work. It is so much fun to hear why people pick different patterns, and to see the different ways that they change the pattern to make it their own.

Anyway, the US Cross Stitcher for December just came out and it has several patterns I really like. Two I think are especially cute. The first is called Snowman Tree Pillow and is by Ursula Michael's. I really like all the snowmen, although it does remind me a lot of an older Stoney Creek pattern BRRR-muda Triangle.



The second pattern I like, and the one I really fell in love with, is Happy Holidays, also by Ursula Michael's. The little gingerbread people are adorable. This is shown framed, but I think done up in a pillow or as a flatfold standup would be great too. At the moment, I'm leaning toward doing as a pillow for the back of my couch.

Since it is the Christmas season now at many stores, I think I need to go shopping for some fun fabric to use for the pillow. With my other WIP's at the moment, it won't get done for this Christmas. However, if I get the material now, I'll have it for when I do get it done.




So, what all projects have other people seen lately that they want to add to their to do list?

6 Comments:

  • At 9:15 PM , Blogger Stitch or no stitch said...

    I completely agree with you about the lovely UK magazines. Although I don't subscribe to any, the ones I do have are lovingly browsed on a regular basis.
    Both your planned snowmen & gingerbread men are adorable & I bet you can't wait to start at least one.
    You asked what others had planned. Personally I only have one Christmas item planned at the moment - a tea towel for an exchange. Although I may do something else small like a bread cover (have the cutest gingerbread man pattern for that) I think I'll keep working on my WIP for the moment. On the other hand a Christmas needle roll would be fun too. Decisions, decisions.
    Have a good week.
    Margaret

     
  • At 8:14 PM , Blogger Katrina said...

    I really enjoy browsing the UK magazines too for the stitcher's stories, some are very inspiring. Lucky for me a friend gets them through her Mum's bookstore and then passes them on when she's finished with them. Looks like you're in the mood for some Christmas stitching - me too!!

     
  • At 8:44 AM , Blogger Lynn said...

    Both of these are really cute!!! I understand abt the WIPs. Remember you live in snow country so when you are snowed in and cant (or wont) leave the house, you have a lot of projects you can finish off then!!

     
  • At 10:21 AM , Blogger Stitch or no stitch said...

    Sorry I can't give too much info about 'The Hungry Tide' yet as I haven't had much time to read. It was last month's selection at the book club I used to belong to when living in California, which is why I picked it up. It's had great reviews - I especially liked the Amazon review.
    Margaret

     
  • At 12:13 PM , Blogger Stitch or no stitch said...

    Will let you know when I finish it Sue. Have you ever read 'The Secret Life of Bees' by Sue Monk Kidd? Loved it.
    Margaret

     
  • At 12:17 PM , Blogger Meari said...

    I love the UK magazines too, for the same reasons you do. They're so darn expensive, though! Unfortunately I can’t buy any stash until I complete my Project Challenge! Waahhh. I have enough stuff in my stash to last me a few lifetimes! So no stash until I complete my project challenge.

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home